Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Fires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
I believe that a few years ago it was suggested that California build desailination plants to provide water. It was rejected and they decided to go with a high speed rail system.

But we are still getting high speed rail from Bakersfield to Merced. I'm sure that's going to be self sufficient as the 10's of riders a day will use that section. Rolling Eyes

This state has always had issues with water and fire. I just got done reading a book published pre 1950 that takes place in central CA. The author includes fires in the book because they have always been common to the region.

Stay safe, and help those in need.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
I believe that a few years ago it was suggested that California build desailination plants to provide water. It was rejected and they decided to go with a high speed rail system.

It wasn't an either/or thing. Gov. Moonbeam wanted his rail system, and vastly overpromised and underfunded it, so now it's a boondoggle. It should be killed, an the sooner the better.

Ocean desalination requires a lot of energy to work, and we're short of that, too.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Terrible situation to be in. People should think about moving away and live somewhere safer. Too many people in one place is not good. I hope it ends well.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
typ914 wrote:

But we are still getting high speed rail from Bakersfield to Merced. I'm sure that's going to be self sufficient as the 10's of riders a day will use that section. Rolling Eyes

This state has always had issues with water and fire. I just got done reading a book published pre 1950 that takes place in central CA. The author includes fires in the book because they have always been common to the region.

Stay safe, and help those in need.
A Meth tax for transport on the HSR could help to finance further extensions Speak to the hand Anxious I’ve lived in California my entire 69 years. I have traveled through those places, but they have never been on my list of “must visit”. Sorry locals, but be honest... just not the place d'oh!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

old article from about '14:

"Desalinated water typically costs about $2,000 an acre foot — roughly the amount of water a family of five uses in a year. The cost is about double that of water obtained from building a new reservoir or recycling wastewater"

so, you'd have a water bill of about 166/mo or 41 bux a week. not
that ridiculous.

sad to think that pet projects are put ahead of needs. I always said vw's dieselgate $$ should have built such plants.

where did all that money go? Think

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: California Fires Reply with quote

Where did the money go???

This damn state. They have the highest gas taxes in the country (just raised them more and increased bridge tools too) to finance road repairs and this state must have the worse roads in the country.

The funds probably were pilfered for some other project or into someones pocket.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: