Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump - vapor lock? Anybody experience it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump - vapor lock? Anybody experience it? Reply with quote

flightofphx wrote:
Has anyone tried the CB Perf rotary elec pump? I have not seen any opinions on it. Also, would you run filters before and after the pump or only tank side?

Lastly, where have you mounted them and is a vibration mount necessary?

I have had a CB/Carter rotary on my Oval for many years.
Works great.
I do run a Holley regulator on it for good measure, so can't speak if it puts out too much pressure or not.
It ships with a filter on the up-stream (tank) side.
You could run another if you wanted; can't hurt.
IIRC it also ships with the rubber mount feet.
They aren't needed for operation, but will quiet down the pump a lot, especially if you mount it to the front firewall/foot-well area to the rear of the tank, where it will resonate and you'll hear it easily.

It's a good complete kit, and i'd a tried it without a regulator if i didn't already have one..

Some carbs are super sensitive to fuel pressure, others aren't, even among the same kind of carbs.
I'd have a close eye on it, and preferably a fuel pressure gauge, at least at first, to make sure it's not giving too much pressure.
Or, at least keep that in mind if your tune changes after installing the different pump..

What’s That Noise?!?
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump - vapor lock? Anybody experience it? Reply with quote

I finally finished installing the low pressure electric pierburg 7.21440.51.0 fuel pump on my Type3 today just to find out that carbs are flooding. Pressure must be too high for Type 3 carbs or the China version has more pressure. Never had any issue using that pump since the early 90's on stock Beetles and engines with IDF Weber.

Oh well, looking into pressure regulators now and was wondering if there are any small preset units out there or just the heavy and bulky regulator . I can not find any. Thanks for any info
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump - vapor lock? Anybody experience it? Reply with quote

How about for 6V systems. I use one for my 1950 Studebaker P.U. which is 6 volt, but installed it more than 20 years ago. (only non-VW vehicle I own) No idea now as to its brand. Quick research shows there are some 6V pumps available, but appear to be 4-8 PSI.
If I have to do a pressure regulator I will but would prefer to not add one more thing inline to cause grief.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump - vapor lock? Anybody experience it? Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
How about for 6V systems. I use one for my 1950 Studebaker P.U. which is 6 volt, but installed it more than 20 years ago. (only non-VW vehicle I own) No idea now as to its brand. Quick research shows there are some 6V pumps available, but appear to be 4-8 PSI.
If I have to do a pressure regulator I will but would prefer to not add one more thing inline to cause grief.

My car has a 12V system. Pressure is not related to voltage. We all know, almost everything we bought 20 /30 years ago was made to last and within tight specs. Reason why I did pick that pump was also Pierburg still has a 1 year warranty and not only 3 month.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: