Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Hi all,

Starting a build thread to document the progress on converting a tin top syncro to 50 degree AHU TDI with valvecovergasket's help and then grafting on a Westfalia pop top roof.

I've owned a syncro Adventurewagen with RWM 2.5 subie for about 10 years and have been looking for a van to convert to TDI after seeing my friend Tony's TDI conversion. I want that FE and sweet turbo whistle. I also wanted a pop top to compare to high top life (which I really enjoy for winter camping).

I picked up pretty neglected/barely running syncro "parts" van off craigslist last April (2019) for cheaper than imaginable for a syncro in any condition in the current market thinking it would be a great grab for a syncro drive train. I also bought a rust free but not complete 1982 diesel westfalia that the previous owner screwed up a paint job on and had given up on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turns out that it was pretty rust free and a great base for building a new camper off of so the tear down started. I had the underside 'blasted (flash rust from the basting below, it all got scotchbrited off before painting) and painted it with two layers of masterseries silver and top coated with their chassis black coating. I then sprayed a layer of 3M body schultz to seal it all up. All the unboltable pieces got sandblasted and painted with POR15 and topcoated in their black topcoat.

The suspension was rebuilt with Schwenck lift springs, old man emu shocks, lots of new bolts and bearings and Burly disks front and rear. I also upgraded to the bigger BMW booster.

The transaxle got taken to German Transaxle to get rebuilt with a TDI appropriate 3rd and 4th gear along with a decoupler, diesel bellhousing and input shaft from Bernd Jeager in Germany for more than double the price of the entire van (photo of the fancyness somewhere later). The front diff got taken to AA transaxle for a front locker and solid shaft (again, for more than the cost of the van). Surprisingly with the unknown condition of the van both builders were happy with the condition of everything they saw inside. Stoked!

Once the chassis was rolling again I moved from Portland, OR to Bellingham, WA to start a new job and moved it into valvecovergasket's shop. Over the winter things went pretty slow (because snowboaring, duh) but did get started on motor work. I had the head rebuilt by Piston Service in Anacortes, WA, installed ARP head studs while freshening everything up along with a PD150/VNT17 Garret turbo and bigger 0.26 injectors as recommend by David at FastFoward (he supplied the wiring harness and the 120 pin ALH ECU that will be flashable over OBD port) and Owain at Malone. A fluid damper from ABED industries was added to hopefully reduce the shock loads to the transaxle. The goal is 21psi of boost with no smoke and low egts with a maximum torque of 240ft-lbs to protect the transaxle. Think of it as a modified stage 4 clutch saver...

To clear the bigger turbo and keep rattling down a little bit I picked up some hydraulic motor mounting plates and driver side arm from Tony at TSI engineering along with some diesel syncro carrier bars.

And now after way too much time wasting the motor and trans are in the van. Now its time for wiring and auxiliary systems work to start and then I can cut the roof off once it is running!

Up next is wiring with VCG's help (including cleaning up the mess under the dash from the PO and a little melting around the fuse box), AWIC install, exhaust welding and complete coolant/heating system refresh.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Great stuff.

Intercooler?

Tony’s engine bars are great bits of kit. Nice guy too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Looking good man!! Cool

Where did you buy the blanking plate for the oil filler at the oil pan and the new passenger side plate for the exhaust?

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Intercooler will be air to water (awic as stated above). Type 9 core behind the drivers side tail light like out westy has his placed in the zincro build and a decent sized heat exchanger up front.

Oil filler blanking plate and exhaust hanger both came from brickwerks.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

More photos from the archives.

Before buying the tin top syncro I bought a 2wd diesel camper off of craigslist. The PO had dismantled the van for a full repaint and AAZ swap. As he was putting the van back together the primer started to fail. He was motivated to sell just the roller and keep the trans and diesel parts for a different project.

Despite needing a full re-sand and repaint this van was CLEAN. No rust and no bondo. I decided tin top to pop top seemed easier than 2wd to syncro. I tried to find a local deal to swap this entire van for a westy roof clip and pop top or a rusty westy roller but never found a trade.

They say you have to break some eggs to make on omelet. It felt really weird to cut such a clean van into pieces.

I was able to sell the scalped roller w/ title and some other parts off the van and the roof clip and pop top only ended up costing me $300.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Looking forward to watching your build. I went back and forth deciding which way to go. Graft a camper top or convert from 2wd to AWD. In the end, decided my mechanical skills exceeding my body man skills and did the drive train conversion to a straight camper chassis. Since the donor was twisted pretty good, I believe I made the correct choice. It was sad to see the donor go.

Watching. Popcorn
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Slow but steady progress over here.

Wiring harness routed and installed (but not tied into the cluster up front yet)
Exhaust welded (?Waldo? - don't worry I got the third mount brace welded on after this photo).
Intake mostly wrapped up.
Rebuilt front and rear heater cores and installed 10cent's bleeder heater valve (super nice!).
Implemented Karl's oil cooler re-route.
Coolant system pressure tested and filled using the newer harbor freight coolant system test and refill kit - super slick!

Still need to finish my AWIC install, vac system, two power steering hoses and ALLLL the gauge wiring.

Lots of chassis work coming up too.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

Nice update!

Which Donaldson is that?
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

The Donaldson is part# is g065433 as recommended by Outwesty in the Zincro build thread.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:

Exhaust welded (?Waldo? - don't worry I got the third mount brace welded on after this photo).

Glad to hear it. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but the isolators are somewhat prone to failure. Be sure that if the rubber fails and the two parts become separated that the exhaust will not fall far enough to damage itself or anything else.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
pjn_wyo wrote:

Glad to hear it. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but the isolators are somewhat prone to failure. Be sure that if the rubber fails and the two parts become separated that the exhaust will not fall far enough to damage itself or anything else.

Yeah we definitely applied all your recommendations on exhaust mounting you'd pointed out in my thread, it's a lot more stable with 3 mounts as you said, and won't hang far if one fails now. The dual flex joints also should give it plenty of wiggle/expansion room too

Mines been hanging on strong for over 1000 miles now, no sign of issues.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - tintop syncro to TDI pop top Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the flex joints on both axes. Years ago I installed a FAS exhaust hanger kit, and it really had a profound influence on my thinking. Their system has the hangers designed with a lot of up/down adjustability. This has made custom exhaust systems so so much easier to fab up and inevitably modify over time.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: