Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Convertible project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

I picked this 1970 fairly original car a couple months ago off the site for about $9k.
According to the seller, who owned it for a few years, the car came out of Texas And was purchased from the son of the original owner. It was in Livermore when I bought it sight unseen other than pictures. The car was honestly represented and was nicer than I anticipated. It hadn’t run much for several years, but it only took me a weekend to get it running.
Condition wise the body is straight and pretty dry except for a rusted out engine surround and luggage tray panel. And a typical old Skool half rear fender replacement that will have to be redone.
The car was also repainted. It is originally Albert Blue with Light Sand interior. Other than the door panels and an added tach the interior is original . I will return the car back to its original color.
Right now I am dismantling the Car in preparation for the rust and panel repair which I will have my friend do. I will do everything else, bodywork and paint, top install, etc. I will reuse as much of the original interior as possible which unfortunately Won’t be much other than knobs, gauges, handles, and the carpets.
My goal is a very nice driver level car.

Here’s what it looked like this morning.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

That’s a nice score. I’m rather partial to the 70 model where the taillights are not that offensive. There are benefits of having the latest engineering enhancements, while still retaining the chrome bumper. Keep us posted with the latest updates of this cars restoration.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
That’s a nice score. I’m rather partial to the 70 model where the taillights are not that offensive there are benefits of having the latest engineering enhancements, while still retaining the chrome bumper. Keep us posted with the latest updates of this cars restoration.
Nicholas

I agree Nicholas. In today’s world having bigger brake lights is a very good thing.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

First step in dismantling the car was deciding where to start, which in my case is the rear interior. Since the car has never been dismantled it gave me an opportunity to see how they did it at the factory and take pictures to I can replicate it as much as possible.
I started with the hinge cover so I could remove the top.

I then began to attack the top. The top is held in with six 17mm bolts in the front, a couple tension cables and four plates in the rear.
I undid the 10mm tension cable on the side first. The hole is then covered in dumdum. It fits through a hole in the flange that goes around the body retaining the cable and top.

Once that cable was out I began to remove the four plates that hold the tension strips to the body.
There are two per side. You don’t want to break or lose these. It is a mix of bolts and nuts and screws. You have to remove the outer one first to then access the inner hardware holding the inner plate.

There is then the cable that goes around the rear window. My top was so rotted that the cable was just hanging there.

Once that it is out you remove the six bolts and then lift the top out. You can now get to the glass. I chose to remove the glass from the hinge. I used a flat head screw driver and a pair of ring piers for the holes on the round aluminum piece.
With the glass out the whole rear of the car is exposed.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

This is great. The top removal section could make for a good Sticky as others may be able to add additional information.
Good job Sir.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Looks like a nice solid car. I'm excited to watch your progress and documenting of it's condition. Looking forward to more great pictures with this kind of detail. I will start reassembling my 71 convertible soon and I hope to keep it as original as possible. Your thread and these detailed pictures will be very helpful.
Thank you,

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

This picture seems to show that the black plastic cover on the left of the photo (over the top of the quarter side panel) seems to go beyond the top sheet metal blade and curve down onto to the rounded top of the body? Is that correct? Or is it just the way the picture is taken? Maybe the plastic has just curved away from the metal? I know there's a rivet that holds the forward end in place but how I the rest of it held down? Glue maybe?

I bought a new set of these plastic covers. I was surprised at how flimsy the reproductions are? Maybe the original are the same?? The reproductions are taller than the blade it covers. I thought maybe they need to be trimmed to fit but now after looking at your picture, I'm not sure how they are supposed to look. Do you have better pictures on these.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Hi Marc, I don't think it matters how far back they go, as long as they don't cover the cable tension hole. I think we discussed before how much deeper they are against the body and definitely need to be trimmed somewhat. I have a feeling if you lightly use a heat gun, they would form fit better, it's what I plan to do. The old original ones I still have show an adhesive inside, so probably were glued down originally.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Marc, if you look at the other ,pictures it shows how far back it goes from other angles.
Like mentioned it can go as far back as the tensioning cables as long as it doesn’t get deformed and push up by the body, at which point you could trim them with a hot knife.
The originals are pretty flimsy too, similar material as the dash covers on my 73 Ghia verts.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Sorry. Apparently, I didn't word my question very well. The Length and position, fore and aft, is not an issue. The height of the plastic though is taller than the metal blade it covers. If I press it down then the lower outside edge of the plastic is forced outward by the body, as it appears to do in the picture.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Sorry. Apparently, I didn't word my question very well. The Length and position, fore and aft, is not an issue. The height of the plastic though is taller than the metal blade it covers. If I press it down then the lower outside edge of the plastic is forced outward by the body, as it appears to do in the picture.

I see now. Yeah, I would trim it so it sits flush against the flat piece. Do you have a hot knife? It makes it easy.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Haven’t updated this in a while, mostly because I haven’t done much other than strip it. I also took it down to the shop where I am now spending a lot of time doing bodywork and paint for customers and my own stuff. Retirement is great!
Anyway, we pulled the body off in order to do the drivers side pan and to address some serious rust and collisions issues.
I had to locate a decent rear clip for a 70-71 which is a real pain, not too many cars getting cut up now, but I found one at Interstate VW in Lake Elsinore. It was beat and rusty but decent enough to make the necessary repairs.
I also DAd the front clip as you can see. The nose is 7nhit and the front fenders and hood are pretty straight. I did find some rot along the lower nose where the inner spare tire wheel well panels abut the nose. The rubber seal there traps moisture and they rot from the inside out.
Car is originally Albert Blue and will go back to that color. Someone did an early respray in red, taking it down to the metal except on the lower nose. The car was then hit hard in the right rear fender and it was resprayed again poorly in red. I am removing all of the second respray.
After cutting the donor clip up my friend Josh is prepping the panels to be welded in. I’ll update after that occurs.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Wow, You've been busy!! Unfortunate about the collision. Looks like this car found a good home and will get expert attention. Looking forward to seeing the work progress.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Following this!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Been making some major progress.
Pan half has been welded in, cleaned up and painted with single stage urethane and under coated with 3M schutz.
I then cleaned and painted and replaced front end components, so the pan is close to done. I still need to attach the gasket, replace the shift rod bushing, trans coupler, etc.
The biggest job, which is replacing the luggage tray, is almost done. The donor panel was cleaned up and prepped and is sitting in place waiting to be welded in.
We then have to fit up the donor left rear fender, which I had blasted and epoxy powder coated. It’s quite a mess, but it’s hard to find these two year only fender sections.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

This is fast progress for such a major restoration. First time I've seen the entire luggage area removed in one piece. I always find it so interesting to see how these cars were built. Nice work.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Nice update!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Skilz Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
This is fast progress for such a major restoration. First time I've seen the entire luggage area removed in one piece. I always find it so interesting to see how these cars were built. Nice work.

Removing it wasn’t half as bad as getting the donor back in there in one piece.
We fed it it from the inside of the car, tilting the vertical section in until it was past the rear cowl, at which point we then had to massage the luggage tray under the convertible specific bits that frame the rear seat base. Luckily we were able to get it in there in one piece and not have to do it in sections, it will require a lot less welding.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible project Reply with quote

Rear luggage tray and bulkhead piece is welded on and welds ground down. I’m waiting on seam sealer to arrive and will take care of that. Will also paint the area in Albert Blue once the rest of the area is finished.
Hopefully we will get the rear quarter and apron on next week. There are a few patches needed in the front and reassembly of some of the convertible specific metal that attaches tot he tray but that should do it for the metal work.
Meanwhile I took a DA with 80 grit to what’s left of the rear as well as the doors to see what horrors lie under the cheap red paint and found extensive damage to the drivers door. A massive dent which they didn’t bother to pull that much despite the holes. I worked the dents out. The rest of the rear is not too bad. I still need to grind off the rest of the bondo as there were some underlying surface rust under it in spots.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: