Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

I followed your lead entirely and put the business where it can be worked. Luckily the hard line had been replaced already so I just had to be creative on making new length without being able to loosen that screw (stripped out philips) at the brake fluid junction. I did it though and like the new feeling of safety.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I added the third brake light. I love it. Too many times I've seen big eyes up close on a near miss late stop because the person behind me didn't see my stock brake lights. Looks like I might have put it in sideways though.

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

please be aware that the J30R14t2 standard does NOT ensure the hose is rated for a 225psi working pressure. there IS 100psi working pressure hose that has a J30R14t2/J30R7 rating. and there IS 225psi J30R14t2 hose.

I know WT says the same. Maybe not, but I havent seen any that isnt FI Gates Barricade is rated for 225 psi.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hos...06042.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

RichieS wrote:
Jim:

1/ Were the injectors rebuilt and tested? If so, by whom?

2/ Whose fuel line bulkhead fitting did you use?

Thanks,
RichieS (near The Burgh)

Sorry I didn't see this when it was more timely. Better late than never...

1. The injectors are from Marco Mansi, Manispeed:
https://mansispeed.com/products/

2. I did not use any bulkhead fitting. I ran new, slightly longer, plastic line from the fuel filter area all the way through the firewall so the transition back to rubber hose would be both visible and accessible. I "double-grommeted" it with a regular grommet in the sheet metal hole and then a couple inches of fuel hose slid over the plastic line.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
DanHoug wrote:

please be aware that the J30R14t2 standard does NOT ensure the hose is rated for a 225psi working pressure. there IS 100psi working pressure hose that has a J30R14t2/J30R7 rating. and there IS 225psi J30R14t2 hose.

I know WT says the same. Maybe not, but I havent seen any that isnt FI Gates Barricade is rated for 225 psi.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hos...06042.html

There are two kinds, the low pressure (50 psi) Gate Barricade for carburetor use which carries the 30r14 rating but NOT the 30r9 rating, and the Gates Barricade (225 psi) fuel injection hose that carries both the 30r9 rating and the 30r14 rating.

The T1 and T2 suffixes to the 30r14 rating are temperature ratings. As far as I know either would work fine on a Vanagon, but since the higher T2 rated hose is readily available you might as well use it.
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

Excellent write up.
Thank you for your time and attention to detail.
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

I just purchased and installed some Gates 27348 Barricade Fuel Injection Hose in my '84 Vanagon from Amazon (15' for $49) The specs are as follows: Inner Diameter 5/16".
Meets SAE 30R14 T2 (except for kink resistance), CARB and EPA non-road fuel lines,
Manufacturer Part Number ‎27348 ,
Rated to 250 psi.
Temp: 275°F
Seems like good stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058XDL0K/ref=p...uctDetails

Also purchased 2 sets of these clamps and they fit well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CU0HM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As a reference point my old hose was 8 years old and had small cracks on the ends.
Hope this is helpful.

If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?

Last edited by Dwighia on Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

Dwighia wrote:
I just purchased and installed some Gates 27348 Barricade Fuel Injection Hose in my '84 Vanagon from Amazon (15' for $4Cool The specs are as follows: Inner Diameter 5/16".
Meets SAE 30R14 T2 (except for kink resistance), CARB and EPA non-road fuel lines,
Manufacturer Part Number ‎27348 ,
Rated to 250 psi.
Temp: 275°F
Seems like good stuff.

Just make sure it actually gives the pressure rating and/or also shows a 30R9 rating.
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

Wildthings,
(always enjoy reading your posts.)

Well I did some more searching, at your suggestion, and still never found any direct comparisons between 30R14 and 30R9. The info I quoted previous was from Amazon. However, did find these specs on the Gates web page:
https://www.gates.com/us/en/hydraulics-mobile/flui...06038.html

"Features and Benefits
Patented, five-layer GreenshieldŽ barrier technology.
High temperature range tolerance: -40°C to +125°C (-40°F to +257°F).
HNBR tube with thermoplastic barrier and CPE cover; reinforced aramid fiber.
Meets SAE 30R14 T2 non-road fuel lines.
Multi-fuel compatibility.
Max working pressure: 225 psi.
Oil, heat, ozone, and abrasion-resistant cover."

I don't know about you, but my diet never seems to get enough "aramid fiber".....
If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

Dwighia wrote:
Wildthings,
(always enjoy reading your posts.)

Well I did some more searching, at your suggestion, and still never found any direct comparisons between 30R14 and 30R9. The info I quoted previous was from Amazon. However, did find these specs on the Gates web page:
https://www.gates.com/us/en/hydraulics-mobile/flui...06038.html

"Features and Benefits
Patented, five-layer GreenshieldŽ barrier technology.
High temperature range tolerance: -40°C to +125°C (-40°F to +257°F).
HNBR tube with thermoplastic barrier and CPE cover; reinforced aramid fiber.
Meets SAE 30R14 T2 non-road fuel lines.
Multi-fuel compatibility.
Max working pressure: 225 psi.
Oil, heat, ozone, and abrasion-resistant cover."

I don't know about you, but my diet never seems to get enough "aramid fiber".....

So long as the hose you are supplied by Amazon actually meets those specs you are golden. I just worry about what they may actually ship, as the 30r14T2 rating by itself doesn't make it suitable for fuel injection. Don't understand why Gates hasn't made more of an effort to clear up the confusion their 30r14 hoses with two very different pressure ratings causes.
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

Wildthings,
Another excellent point. Amazon descriptions are not always accurate.
(I did try to support the Vanagon community by ordering a fuel line kit from one of the VW vendors on the east coast, but they were out of stock.)

Did some more research:
The hose I received from Amazon says "Gates 4219BF Barricade Fuel Injection Hose 5/16" (7.9mm) 225 PSI (15.5 Bar) GreenShield".
Looked up "4219BF" on Gates website and got this:
Product Code# 42195652

https://www.gates.com/us/en/search.p.4219-000000-000000.v.4219-05652.html

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

Since it says both 225psi and Fuel Injection on the hose so it should be 100% okay.
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Lines and Fuel Line Research - with Pictures Reply with quote

^^
That gates fuel hose will work just fine. I have used it before, just use correct clamps.
Can also be purchased by the foot at napa, Oreillys etc if you need a small amount and the whoe "kit" isnt needed from one of the Vanagon vendors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: