Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doverdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Hi all, there is a 1990 Westfalia for sale with a blown 2.2 Subaru on craigslist up here in Maine. The price is $9000 it looks in pretty good shape. Would it be worth it for me to purchase this and put a 2.5 Subaru in it? Thoughts please
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

If the overall condition of westy is solid, like minimum rust nice interior etc... i would strongly consider it. You can get a solid 2.2 or 2.5 used for $500 or less. If you can install then that saves a ton of money. If you have to outsource the work then the economics may not make sense. What are your skill levels?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

It’s like buying an outboard that’s been used in salt water. Your buying the hull. A vehicle you can’t road test could have a lot of other needs. $9000 for a non running vanagon seems high. If it’s solid, “good hull” might be worth it.

It’s way easier to buy something running and sorted for slightly more.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

I would.

The body is the real value... and how hard is it to find a used 2.2 from an auto wrecker and drop it in?

The conversion kit is expensive and that's already done.
Hoodride for life
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

$9000 for a 90 Westy in good shape with blown Subaru seems like a deal. Others on this list might jump on it. Swap parts are already there and might be in good shape. All you need is the 2.5,harness and ECU. Better than buying it with a running high mileage 2.1 WBX.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Nope, useless, not worth your time. You should PM the link to the ad so I can avoid it too.

Wink

Robyn

/But seriously, assuming it's solidbody-wise and you can do the swap, do it.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Buy it and swap in another 2.2 (or rebuild the one that is there) to keep it simple.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Grab it ASAP
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Do it, looks good. You could rebuild 2.2 easy.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy blown 2.2 Subaru engine Should I buy it? Reply with quote

I hope you are looking at it now with cash in hand....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

what year 2.2? OBD1 or OBD2?

the 92-94 EJ22 have been the true work horse for Subaru. Really durable and long lasting engines, almost zero head gasket problems, can rev high all day long. About 20-30 hp less than the 2.5 but you get great reliability.
Doverdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

I’m not sure what you were the engine is. It was installed in 2002.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

without confirming the transmission works... and with a blown engine... i'm not sure what i would do. it would have to be in really excellent condition to take that gamble. like everything else is there and working and in good condition.

i overpaid for my Westy project... i only say that after i've dug into it and then added up everything i've spent. i could have started with a nicer one for double the money. "they all cost 20k, it just depends you want to spend it" seems to ring true.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Buy it and put a real engine in there. That's what I would do, and 9 out of 10 dentists agree.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Buy it and put a real engine in there. That's what I would do, and 9 out of 10 dentists agree.

That ad shows a lot of rust starting to come through. That'd kill it for me. FWIW, if price is the same I'd rather buy a van with a blown conversion done well, than one with a functional 2.1.

Homeboy is a broken record on the engine topic and ignores the fact that many VWs left the factory without VW engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

He’s right. Pull that 2.2 and put in a 2.5. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Unless it was real rusty or really trashed I'd buy it in a New York minute but I wouldn't take my my Texas time to do.
The conversion is worth 3K on its own if it's well done.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Yes, sell the conversion or use it to moor your boat in the harbor.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Or you could appease all the gods and take the Subaru out and put a Properly Built WBX in it.
Choose wisely.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy w/ blown 2.2 Subaru engine - Should I buy it? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Or you could appease all the gods and take the Subaru out and put a Properly Built WBX in it.
Choose wisely.

Stacy

Worst idea ever Wink

All kidding aside, the odds are that 130k miles on a 1990 westy, the transmission is likely good. They did not suffer the fate of failed 3/4 sliders like earlier vans. Unless it did a lot of towing or poor shifting and lugging, the trans is probably fine for a long time with a fresh oil change. As far as engine, you can easily find a good used subie 2.2 to throw in there until you figure out what your dealing with. All in a good running 1990 westy subie conversion for $10k. Miles and $1000s ahead of folks with lesser vans.

Just sayin, if it were me, it would already be in my driveway
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: