Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no idea what I have done
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

In the past when I build an engine, I bolt 1/2 of the case to the engine stand. When it comes time to add pistons and cylinders after the case is assembled, I put the pistons into the cylinder from the top and push them until the wrist pin is exposed. Then I slide one over the connecting rod then do the other. Rotate the engine over when done and do the other side.

This time on the 3/4 side the only way I am going to get them on is to either remove the engine from the stand so the stand isn't in the way of the #3 wrist pin, or put 3 or 4 on over the piston instead of putting the piston and cylinder on as a unit. I hate sliding the piston into the cylinder from the bottom because the rings want to hang on the cut out section of the cylinder. The stand is the same stand I have always used and I find it hard to believe that the oil filter protrusion is taller than the other case but I haven't looked at that yet between cases. The crankshaft is the same, and the deck is the same so the case has to be the same width etc.. Stand is on the same side of the case as it normally is.

Anyone know what I am mis-thinking here? Basically both the 3 and 4 wrist pins have to come from the inside unless I move the case to the workbench. I've never had to do that before, and I have never had to put the cylinder on after the piston is mounted that I recall.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

Hello,
Ain't it a bitch getting out and forgetful...

Edit: I guess I'll leave it that way since, we all are having fun with it... Very Happy

Last edited by Angus II on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

Do you have your engine stand on the 3/4 case half? The last T4 I was deep into preferred the #4 then #3 pins, both installed from the front, with the engine stand mounted on the 1/2 case half…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,

old. and your typing skills suffer as well
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

yes the 3/4 side. After installing the #4 cylinder I had to set it on the workbench, pull the stand yoke, install the #3 cylinder then put it back on the stand. With two cylinders and a flywheel that gets to be heavy for a 70 year old with a bad back but Cathy held the engine stand from taking off which helped a lot. Last time I had it off the stand it was without the flywheel or cylinders. Even with stuff around the wheels the stand took off, and it was a pain to put the engine back in the stand while chasing the stand across the garage. I also put a towel between me and the studs so I wasn't being perforated by them this time.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Angus II wrote:
Hello,

Touché!

And, count me in...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
alman72 wrote:
Angus II wrote:
Hello,

Touché!

And, count me in...

John last time I saw you, it seems like you were a happy go lucky 29 year old. Have you aged that much? Smile
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
John last time I saw you, it seems like you were a happy go lucky 29 year old. Have you aged that much? Smile

I am only 10 years behind you, old man. Smile

SGKent wrote:
yes the 3/4 side. After installing the #4 cylinder I had to set it on the workbench, pull the stand yoke, install the #3 cylinder then put it back on the stand. With two cylinders and a flywheel that gets to be heavy for a 70 year old with a bad back but Cathy held the engine stand from taking off which helped a lot. Last time I had it off the stand it was without the flywheel or cylinders. Even with stuff around the wheels the stand took off, and it was a pain to put the engine back in the stand while chasing the stand across the garage. I also put a towel between me and the studs so I wasn't being perforated by them this time.

Oh, man, be careful. I messed up my back permanently due to this hobby, specifically lifting an engine with my wife and daughter's help, even.

Led to severe pain, followed by angst and examining my choices in life and how dire the consequences might be (like never hiking or even driving again, etc.), and MRIs, then physical therapy. I am now much much better, but a lot more wary of lifting anything much. Scary stuff. Shocked
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I am only 10 years behind you, old man. Smile

SGKent wrote:

Oh, man, be careful. I messed up my back permanently due to this hobby, specifically lifting an engine with my wife and daughter's help, even.

Led to severe pain, followed by angst and examining my choices in life and how dire the consequences might be (like never hiking or even driving again, etc.), and MRIs, then physical therapy. I am now much much better, but a lot more wary of lifting anything much. Scary stuff. Shocked

Very much so John. In 2010 we were rearended the day after we got home from a Raleigh trip. I think that was trip we stopped by to see you. My back was messed up for 9 years and the spasms would not stop. About six months ago when this Covid thing started we weren't spending as much time outside so I started taking a D3 vitamin in addition to the D3 that was in my normal vitamins. Within hours the spasms stopped and as long as I take 2000 IU a day of Vitamin D they stay away. On the occasional day that they start a little, an additional vitamin D stops them. One does not want to OD on Vitamin D because it can harm or even kill someone but 1000 - 2000 IU a day is considered safe. People who go to visit the Inuit and eat a seal liver sometimes get so much vitamin D that they can die. So moderation is good. So if you don't take Vitamin D consider it. For me 2000 IU is the magic number.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D0DUMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

Your problem is that it’s too damn hot in your garage right now
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

Came across the same thing taking apart my engine... the order and direction of getting our wrist pins...was one of those oh yeah moments.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

steve, I drive all my pins in from the rear (pulley end) of the engine.

push piston out far enough to get the pin in. circlip installed on the "captured" side. push pin in. install clip

for example, I will push #3 pin in from the #4 stud area where the cylinder would sit. same goes for the 1-2 side. 1 on first, then 2. 3 on first then 4

never had an issue with the yoke being in the way

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: no idea what I have done Reply with quote

on a t4 the oil cooler stand off won't let the pin in from that side on #4. The only alternative way is put the pins in with the cylinders off and put the piston in the bottom of the cylinder. My yoke gets in the way of the pin going into #3 from the flywheel side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: