Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Several websites say I need this... 2 of them
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

But it is not listed in Jersey Looker Early bay. I have a 72 with the type 4 engine. I took the engine and trans out and there was nothing that looked like this.

So, anyone know where I can find pix of them installed? Or can they tell be more about them?

Clark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

Those are for European delivered 1600 models, your type 4 doesn't use them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

great, so I am not going crazy.

2 other items I need.

#11 on bracket #6. It seems that 6 is available. And I may need a new one, the rubber on it is a bit hard and does not look like it is replaceable.

But #11 slides on the arms of 6. Hard rubber that is cracker up. Where can I find 2 of those?

And then #14 at the bottom. The PO did not install them. Sleeves that I assume go inside the smaller bracket #12 and the bolts slide in. I guess I could just find a piece of pipe?

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

# 13 are the rubber bushings for the trans hanger
Part # 211 599 431
These hardly ever fail but they do flex and can break

I think # 11 has the rubber bonded ends on the replacement part
211 599 227

# 14 is the bolt hanger bolt spacer.
That usually does not come out of the hanger easily?
You may have to get it from the classified

Last edited by old DKP driver on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

Right. The next page on Jersey looker has the part numbers. I am curious where to find them. Mine are not broken, but they are brittle and cracking.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

You might try the bus depot and see if have used parts as they do have the
Carrier mounts.
Or search the classified here.
The carrier mounts will need to go in before you stuff the trans/engine in
But the U mount can be installed anytime.

There is an ad from a North Carolina member with the hanger but it’s missing
The 2 bolt guides in it
You might ask if he has those spacers and perhaps the U mount
6:00 ad was seen

Last edited by old DKP driver on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

Maybe I don't need the sleeves. The 1 thing on this vehicle and my 914 that I did not open up and putz with is the tranz. The tranz in this bus had been in a field for 10, 15, maybe even 20 years. So the magnesium had turned to swiss cheese.

Rusty Bottom Garage in Smyrna TN ended up having to get me a fresh case. So I am guessing that his bell housing is from a newer bus. It has these inserts in the mounting holes.

Anyone agree?

Here is a shot from the Bentley. Show the bolt connection that goes thru these sleeve in the bell housing result in a super tight connection?

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

You don’t need them because you have the late case 👌
That a big plus!

On another note:
My wife is a retired Nurse and we have a traveling nurse stay in a spare
Room from time to time
She is from your neck of the woods. Franklin Tennessee.

Chris
:
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

The Bentley shows LATE and EARLY bell housings, but I can't see the built in sleeves. Mine does have all the LATE differences and I guess I got lucky. The clutch kit came with a TO bearing for the LATE forks.

1 less thing to buy Cool
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Several websites say I need this... 2 of them Reply with quote

I also have a 72 and have had the 091 transmission in it since I built
The 2.0 for it about 8 years ago
That’s when I noticed the sleeves were incorporated into the bell
Housing. Where as the 1975 and earlier used the sleeves so 1976-1979
Use a little wider carrier since the 091 now has the sleeves in the bell housing
From the factory..

I’m still curious about the 2 rubber stops that attach to the nose Cone with
Bonded rubber mount .

Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: