Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI not coming up to temp
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: TDI not coming up to temp Reply with quote

My 2005 Golf TDI has not really been coming up to temperature. This morning the outdoor temp was about 25 degrees. After my 22 minute commute to work the temp gauge was still at only about 25% instead of the normal half way mark and I still had ice on my windshield. It has been like this for a while. I was going to replace the thermostat but figured I'd ask before doing so.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: TDI not coming up to temp Reply with quote

That's where I would start since it's the part that regulates the engine temperature.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: TDI not coming up to temp Reply with quote

X2 easy and cheap place to start. Also check the coolant level.

Any funny gurgle sounds coming out of the dashboard? Smell coolant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: TDI not coming up to temp Reply with quote

No gurgling sounds from the heater core. Coolant is full. It has been running cool for about a year or two.

I just did a service on the car last weekend. I replaced the original timing belt at 272k miles Embarassed . What made it worse is I had the parts for three years! I also did the temp sensor (had a CEL), water pump, belt, transmission output shaft seals, control arms, and rebuilt the vacuum/injector pump that was pissing oil everywhere. And I forgot to replace the stupid thermostat when I was in there. It must not be closing all the way. I don't think much of it until we get a cold morning which still isn't bad here in North Carolina.

I wish VW still sold TDI's here in the US. I've had this car about 11 years and it just keeps going and going! I really need to do a better job of taking care of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: