Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super weird spark plug issue
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fritzer108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Super weird spark plug issue Reply with quote

Spoiler....this is for a vintage Honda but I hope your expertise can still help me out of this mess. I do own a Type 1 so I am not a complete degenerate. The bike (yes a motorcycle) is a 1974 CL360. I replaced the plugs and have power coming out of both caps. The left cylinder works fine but once I screw and tighten the plug on the right, my right cylinder does not fire. If I take it out and hold it against the head, all is fine. This leads me to believe that I don't have a good contact between the head and the plug, which I find rather interesting. These are brand new plugs.....i bought them today and have put 0 miles on them.
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Super weird spark plug issue Reply with quote

Put a jumper lead from the head to the body and see if it then works.

You could have a faulty plug that on fitting gives an open or short circuit.

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
Fritzer108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Super weird spark plug issue Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I know that they don't spark when I screw them in because 1, after about 10 minutes of running, the right exhaust is stone cold and 2, if I remove the right spark plug cap, if has no impact on the engine.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Super weird spark plug issue Reply with quote

Basically the same troubleshooting as the dub.

It could be a weird plug issue....but likely not.

If it sparkles when out.....then check the tappets....if that ain't it then go in the carb.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Super weird spark plug issue Reply with quote

Suck bang blow.. .. takes air, vacuum, fuel, compression, timing and exhaust.. missing one of those.. an engine wont run

Just because that cylinder is cold.. doesn't mean its spark.

If you know 100% its getting fuel to that cylinder and compression is good.. and.. there is no intake or exhaust restrictions..... and you thinks its a spark issue.... .then...

High resistance in the plug wire or screw on spark plug boot/cap.
The plug boots have built in resistance.. and.. after years.. they fail increasing resistance.

I just replaced my coils and boots on my 750 four (K5) . Number 4 plug was intermittent and had almost the exact same symptoms.

Buy original NGK's ..

Try this.... place the #2 boot/cap lightly on plug and with the engine running.. slowly start to remove it.. you should hear the spark snapping at the plug tip.. if it starts to fire that cylinder.. get the NGK caps.. and be sure the plug is clean and gaped correctly..

Its harder to fire a plug under compression pressure. What may spark out of the engine.. may be basically blown out under compression.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: