Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric fuel pump wiring through low oil pressure switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Electric fuel pump wiring through low oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I see many wiring diagrams for electric fuel pumps through a relay. Does anyone have any information on how I would wire the fuel pump with the oil pressure switch as safety? I only have one tab on the oil pressure switch.
Thanks for the help!

Eric

58 bug
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump wiring through low oil pressure switch Reply with quote

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/safe-and-efficient-electric-fuel-pump-wiring/

I've been meaning to do the same to my bus but probably won't only because I have other stuff prioritised & haven't got around to those.Although
I did change the front brake shoes and one rear wheel cylinder on Fri. but husseled it back to storage because we were getting the tail-end of the storm that hit the south. Anyway... Here's a link I included that might be some help. I'll admit I haven't read it completely. There's probably a vw versed link on this subject here if you search....
I used to have a '95 mustang gt that had a fuel pump safety switch that you reset in the trunk if it went off. That idea would probably be better than the oil pressure switch since if the engine were still running after a crash it might not help if there were a fuel leak.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump wiring through low oil pressure switch Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...fety+relay
Another link I found here but it wouldn't paste to original post so I had to open this new window.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump wiring through low oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Your idea of using oil pressure seems a bit difficult to setup.
Why not use engine RPM for a safety relay instead?
I installed the relay pictured below when the FP was installed.
Wired the relay into the tach for a cutoff in the event of something really bad happening. Shocked Use your imagination on the meaning of that last sentence.
When the engine RPM stops. The relay cuts power to the FP within 3 seconds.
(BTW, the image was taken during the relay installation.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are available on Amazon.

Good Luck with whatever method you use for a FP cutoff relay.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump wiring through low oil pressure switch Reply with quote

A simple fuel pump cut off circuit can be created for less than 10 bucks with one relay and some wiring.. using the original oil pressure switch or.. the generator light circuit.

I honestly don't see the need for such a safety circuit.... the only time you'd maybe need it is in the event of a crash where you couldn't shut the power to the pump via the ignition switch..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: