Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any good news out there? Let's start.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Late summer in New England , Nice. Blue Bug VW Logo Green Ghia
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

this is nice...a talented kid, a famous musician and a bit of to and 'fro Wink
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/dave-grohl-writes-supergirl-theme-172334841.html

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
finster wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54004695

tony stark...?

Answers the old question...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes!.....I see this as good news too! Why?

1. Finally....operating jetpacks! Yeah yeah....there have been MANY experiments.....over the decades......but those just jumped around and get like a minute of barely controlled flight.

This guy was at 3000 feet. Damn!

2. Its innovation. Thats always good....whether private individuals or companies.

3. It is someone spending money to build something NEW and having the large balls to test it.

All good news!

The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray

Why is that bad?, sounds good to me, the air is crowded enough already, add a few jackasses flying around in the way of others and it'll get crazy fast, just like those clowns flying consumer drones in amongst fire bombers. Stupid should hurt, or be expensive.
The tech is good, but figure out how to get everyone to follow the rules so we can all get along.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Flying unlicensed in LAX airspace?

Jail time.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Mark Tucker posted in the Samba and turned an absolute crappy day for everything into the best laughter of the week.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Why is that bad?, sounds good to me, the air is crowded enough already, add a few jackasses flying around in the way of others and it'll get crazy fast, just like those clowns flying consumer drones in amongst fire bombers. Stupid should hurt, or be expensive.
The tech is good, but figure out how to get everyone to follow the rules so we can all get along.

If they operated using RVSM and TCAS it would be ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_vertical_separation_minima

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

If they operated using RVSM and TCAS it would be ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_vertical_separation_minima

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system

Yeah I'm going to say no. I've been an air traffic controller for 10 years so I kinda have it figured out mostly lol

You can't be in class "B" airspace and not be talking to ATC without a working transponder.

TCAS is a tool for pilots and added safety. It does not reduce minimum standard IFR separation.

If it was actually a guy flying a jetpack at that altitude, that is one rich tinkerer. There is only a few organizations that are capable of building such a machine. And the only commercial outfit does not sell to the pubic. They have a few units that MIGHT be capable of such a flight, and they are all accounted for.

Now, I'll tell you what I think it was.. I can almost bet it was a drone with some sort of blow up doll attached. It would be light, capable of sustained flight, be VERY convincing to pilots traveling 200kts, and within the price range of a bunch of idiots.

I HATE drones. And laser pointers. It's a nightmare for us. And a felony when the authorities finally catch the geniuses that think it's funny messing with aircraft on final approach or climb out.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

10 whole years wow, we were installing tcas back in the early 90s. Yea we got it all figured out. 😀
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
10 whole years wow, we were installing tcas back in the early 90s. Yea we got it all figured out. 😀

Lol I said MOSTLY.

IDK if TCAS would even pick up a guy in a jetpack. You think? Maybe. Probably not the one you installed in the 90's anyway Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

What I’m thinking is the jet pack guy should have a transponder and full array of avionics including weather radar for his protection. Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Yes....I actually agree.....

The problem is that really there is only one place....and one day per year allowed for this type of stuff. Thats one reason why so little is tested. Its the same place and day the high altitude amateur rockets are tested.

In fact...its the same place I saw the last jet pack tested in a video.

If you want innovation...you need infrastructure where people can work on it (more than just one day in one place a year).....that was my point. I love the tech...but hate that it may be stifled ....but we do have to follow the rules for safety.

Here is what I am talking about....a jetpack....and the rocket launch is killer too....set a record back in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0FfxHPGXs

Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
What I’m thinking is the jet pack guy should have a transponder and full array of avionics including weather radar for his protection. Very Happy

I can't even get the hot air balloons that insist launching just outside out class C and right next to our final approach fix to carry a transponder. At least they started using a radio.. I guess all the 767's blowing past them every morning scared them enough for that.

Good times.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

As a frequent flyer I thank you guys and gals for all you do. The pilots get all the “ hero accolades” but ATC keeps us safe.

Listening to ATC on Cactus 1549 was just amazing.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
As a frequent flyer I thank you guys and gals for all you do. The pilots get all the “ hero accolades” but ATC keeps us safe.

Thanks, appreciate that. Sometimes the frequencies get pretty chaotic. What's interesting is that most recordings ppl hear have been cleaned up by only playing on transmission at a time (one pilot, or ATC). IRL, many times multiple people key up at the same time and things get garbled. So keeping it all straight gets to be a challenge when multiple pilots need instructions at the same time. We just have to prioritize and clean up the most pressing conflicts first. Add one inexperienced pilot into the mix, or a missed transmission in there and things can get pretty ugly, fast.

I loved the transcripts of the jetpack encounters. The controller didn't even miss a beat. He just started calling out the "traffic" to the next aircraft in line.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I HATE drones. And laser pointers. It's a nightmare for us. And a felony when the authorities finally catch the geniuses that think it's funny messing with aircraft on final approach or climb out.

Right on! Laser pointers may as well be SAMs to pilots who can lose control from the temporary blindness that results.

And drones... confiscate them all, mandatory buyback... if it isn't registered with a transponder and strobe then it is a felony. No strobe? Make it legal to shoot down.

Between privacy, snooping creeps, danger to pilots... no good reason for unlicensed drones. Sorry to spoil some fun for a few, but lives and privacy matter.

I had some teens flying one over my backyard with my kids swimming. I got my shotgun out, and also my camera, and with pics got clothing and license number information and called the sheriff.

Oops, sorry, this was supposed to be a "good news" thread! Embarassed

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Thanks, appreciate that. Sometimes the frequencies get pretty chaotic. What's interesting is that most recordings ppl hear have been cleaned up by only playing on transmission at a time (one pilot, or ATC). IRL, many times multiple people key up at the same time and things get garbled. So keeping it all straight gets to be a challenge when multiple pilots need instructions at the same time. We just have to prioritize and clean up the most pressing conflicts first. Add one inexperienced pilot into the mix, or a missed transmission in there and things can get pretty ugly, fast.

I loved the transcripts of the jetpack encounters. The controller didn't even miss a beat. He just started calling out the "traffic" to the next aircraft in line.

Ive flown into BOS airspace and learned quickly you get one pass at ATC control, if you mess up you are quickly re-routed somewhere else like BED until you 'grow up'

Understandable.

When you realize that the real guys are sterile cockpit and meanwhile all the commercial aviation are chatting up while the wheels are down, it makes you wonder.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Commercial aircraft are usually pretty easy. They expect certain instructions at different phases of flight. We can get them lined up pretty quick, and speed adjust them to follow the traffic. They just want to hit the approach, land, and get off the active. Most of the control is routine. The aircraft speeds are very consistent through the approach.

Never have I had a United pilot ask to beat up the patten. Laughing

Most pilots that fly their own airframe are very good. They take instructions quickly, and understand what they need to do.

Student pilots can be.... Interesting. But hey, everyone needs to start somewhere.

The WORST pilots fly for charter companies and can be divas. They think they should be first, and expect ATC do go out of their way to accommodate them. Many, many times I've had charter 560's or LJ pilots file an IFR flight plan that consisted of the departure airport, and the destination airport. No SID, no routing, nothing. They take off VFR and call us up and want IFR clearance. I'll ask what routing they want and they say whatever you give me.. So Im supposed to create a flight plan over the line on the fly, but you didn't bother to file anything on the ground?? Yeah right. I'll fix plans that won't work if they tried to file something, anything. But if I see something pop out of the machine with a departure airport and a destination airport at FL320, I'm not fixing a thing. Good luck!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

Now, I'll tell you what I think it was.. I can almost bet it was a drone with some sort of blow up doll attached. It would be light, capable of sustained flight, be VERY convincing to pilots

Perhaps it was Otto?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhYl74vw2c
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any good news out there? Let's start. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Now, I'll tell you what I think it was.. I can almost bet it was a drone with some sort of blow up doll attached. It would be light, capable of sustained flight, be VERY convincing to pilots

Perhaps it was Otto?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhYl74vw2c

LOL. That's it for sure!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: