Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transferring a Georgia registration to a title.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

Does anyone here know about the Georgia DMV system? The car is a 1959 and has an active Georgia registration but requires a title to sell it out of state. Is there a way to obtain a title from the registration? Apparently Georgia doesn't have titles for antique cars. Any help is appreciated.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Does anyone here know about the Georgia DMV system? The car is a 1959 and has an active Georgia registration but requires a title to sell it out of state. Is there a way to obtain a title from the registration? Apparently Georgia doesn't have titles for antique cars. Any help is appreciated.

It depends on your state. Some states are easy to deal with, and some are terrible to deal with. Most have a way to get a title, but it might be a long process. Each state generally knows which states don't use titles for old cars, because they have all had to deal with it before. Some of them don't like it because they know that people use some of those states to get titles for cars that have never even been to the state. Overall, if you have a car and some kind of paper trail, and the car is not stolen most states will give you a title.

Titles for cars are an American thing. Most other countries just have registrations. If you buy a car from a foreign country, you just take the customs paperwork to your states DMV and they will issue you a title.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

Thanks Lind, sounds like a bidding war I want nothing to do with so I may have my answer. I should learn a bit more about titles as her in NJ it's basically impossible to register without a title and some companies want $500. and many many months of waiting. I'll keep you posted.

Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

It depends on your state. Some states are easy to deal with, and some are terrible to deal with. Most have a way to get a title, but it might be a long process. Each state generally knows which states don't use titles for old cars, because they have all had to deal with it before. Some of them don't like it because they know that people use some of those states to get titles for cars that have never even been to the state. Overall, if you have a car and some kind of paper trail, and the car is not stolen most states will give you a title.

Titles for cars are an American thing. Most other countries just have registrations. If you buy a car from a foreign country, you just take the customs paperwork to your states DMV and they will issue you a title.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=vermont+loophole+t...p;ie=UTF-8
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

I wish VT would stop doing this. Most states have, and all states should, a process for bonding a title where you put skin in the game to title a car for a period of years to protect property from theft. The you should have to pay for a 53 state search for stolen titles , a visual inspection of all VINS , and then a period of registration only use, until the title “ clears”

Legitimate sellers amd buyers will have no problem with this
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

Apparently I'm back at the possible sale of this vehicle. I spoke with the owner again yesterday and if I can get a title I will buy it. Therefore is anyone here from Georgia and if so does the back or front of your classic car registration state it can be used to transfer as a title?

As I recall when I bought a 1962 car in California (still own) the "pink" slip said it could be transferred as a title. Is anyone familiar with that? I ended up having the owner transfer it to a title in CA prior to my purchase which cost a lot of money due to persuading him.

As for the Title system in Vermont very interesting. I live in New Jersey and this state is the most difficult to transfer to titles. Some people spend months into years to clear a title.

Any tips welcome.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

I have used the VT route to get a title in MA.

You have to pay the tax on the NADA value to VT and they will send you plates and a registration. Once I got the plates and registration from VT I went to my MA RMV with the correct paperwork and got the car titled.

Its kind of expensive if the NADA value is high. But it worked for me.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

jspbtown, what were the fees?

jspbtown wrote:
I have used the VT route to get a title in MA.

You have to pay the tax on the NADA value to VT and they will send you plates and a registration. Once I got the plates and registration from VT I went to my MA RMV with the correct paperwork and got the car titled.

Its kind of expensive if the NADA value is high. But it worked for me.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

Here is the Columbia County (Georgia) Motor Vehicle Department. I would call and talk to them instead of getting it from the barrack's lawyers. Wink

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

What GA will do is much less important than what your state of residence (NJ) will accept.

Update - NJ has a path for non-title state registration in NJ by a process of VIN addidavit.

Looking good for LG!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Apparently I'm back at the possible sale of this vehicle. I spoke with the owner again yesterday and if I can get a title I will buy it. Therefore is anyone here from Georgia and if so does the back or front of your classic car registration state it can be used to transfer as a title?

As I recall when I bought a 1962 car in California (still own) the "pink" slip said it could be transferred as a title. Is anyone familiar with that? I ended up having the owner transfer it to a title in CA prior to my purchase which cost a lot of money due to persuading him.

As for the Title system in Vermont very interesting. I live in New Jersey and this state is the most difficult to transfer to titles. Some people spend months into years to clear a title.

Any tips welcome.

40 years ago my first Bus came from Georgia. All I needed to do in Michigan to register and obtain a title was have a bill of sale and a valid Ga. registration. It took a bit of educationg the DMV staff and showing them where in the book that lists the way it is with the state it is coming from this info was listed. Back then in Ga. it was vehicles older than 25 years did not havew titles and were sold with a bill of sale and current valid registration slip.

Start here... https://dor.georgia.gov/title-not-required-or-optional-titles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

YES, Abscate, thanks for this link https://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/vehicles/GU30.pdf

I went to my DMV and I was shocked that they only wanted a motorized bill of sale and a current registration in the owners name (that is going to take a little time for the owner).

I was shocked and happy. I believe in California I could do the same with their vintage "pink slip".

Yes Toolbox, same, thanks.

ToolBox wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Any tips welcome.

40 years ago my first Bus came from Georgia. All I needed to do in Michigan to register and obtain a title was have a bill of sale and a valid Ga. registration. It took a bit of educationg the DMV staff and showing them where in the book that lists the way it is with the state it is coming from this info was listed. Back then in Ga. it was vehicles older than 25 years did not havew titles and were sold with a bill of sale and current valid registration slip.

Start here... https://dor.georgia.gov/title-not-required-or-optional-titles

Abscate wrote:
What GA will do is much less important than what your state of residence (NJ) will accept.

Update - NJ has a path for non-title state registration in NJ by a process of VIN addidavit.

Looking good for LG!

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

I’ll bet your eyes Bugged out when you saw that link…. Cool
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

"Pink slip" Is a title in CA. Says ownership certificate which is the same. People called it pink slip because it was pink. that's all
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Transferring a Georgia registration to a title. Reply with quote

Find a 3rd party in a state that will issue a title. If you have the proper paper work, it is not as difficult as it is made out to be. It just takes time and money. There are Companies that offer this service.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: