Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

My buddy and I don’t know much about sound systems but like my title says, I’ve got a stock 30 amp generator and he’s got 38 amps in his bus.

We’re both looking to juice up the sound systems a bit. I’ve got a Retrosound radio, he’s got some other modern looking thing.

When you’re shopping for an amp what kind of wattage and power do you look for when you’ve only got 30 or 38 amps to spare system wide?

The sound system world doesn’t really talk about classic cars and low amp generators much!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

You're better off in the long run focusing on improving the vehicle's sound insulation and stereo output quality. Hearing loss sucks.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

I would focus on class D "all digital" amplifiers as they are the most efficient available, although a typical car stereo of the 4x50W mosfet output is plenty powerful and won't be too much for the original generator. Look at more efficient speakers from real name brands to make the most out of your available power. All of them will be rated in db, something like 88db per watt, 91db per watt, etc. Higher DB/watt number means better efficiency.

I had a 12 volt generator on my 61 Baja, and never had issues running a pioneer 8700BT 4x50w stereo, even at night with headlights on and music fairly loud to drown out the road noise on the freeway.

What car is this for? What are your plans for speakers and mounting them? That will make a big difference in what will be best for you. It also depends on your budget, and how you plan to put sound in. Running just an amplifier versus a stereo, etc. Sound deadener and insulation makes a difference too, but it's easy to hit diminishing returns quickly there.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I would focus on class D "all digital" amplifiers as they are the most efficient available, although a typical car stereo of the 4x50W mosfet output is plenty powerful and won't be too much for the original generator. Look at more efficient speakers from real name brands to make the most out of your available power. All of them will be rated in db, something like 88db per watt, 91db per watt, etc. Higher DB/watt number means better efficiency.

I had a 12 volt generator on my 61 Baja, and never had issues running a pioneer 8700BT 4x50w stereo, even at night with headlights on and music fairly loud to drown out the road noise on the freeway.

What car is this for? What are your plans for speakers and mounting them? That will make a big difference in what will be best for you. It also depends on your budget, and how you plan to put sound in. Running just an amplifier versus a stereo, etc. Sound deadener and insulation makes a difference too, but it's easy to hit diminishing returns quickly there.

Thanks for your input!!

This is for a 71 bus. I still don’t have the 38 amp generator only the 30 but I want to get the bigger one.

I have a RetroSound radio for a “head unit”. It only puts out 25W per channel so it’s not too strong on its own.

I have a center speaker in the dash of the bus, a dual cone one. I was going to put a pair in the kick panels because I don’t want to mess up my door cards. I might put one speaker in the back of the bus and then maybe a small sub.

I’ll look for an amplifier that’s not too crazy. I don’t want to make my hearing any worse than it already is!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

You might be better off installing a second battery to run the system, it'll also be handy for camping or other activities when parked, and if you choose a good isolator system (blue sea for example) it'll spread out the recharging in a way that won't melt the generator down immediately.

In the long term you really want an alternator if you plan on using big wattage. Also make sure that voltage regulator that's in there now is for a 30A generator, if it's the original 38A unit it'll push your 30A generator to an early smoky death.

None of this will be cheap, but changing a generator on a bus is a big pain too, spend now or spend later. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

Upgrade your speakers first, then see if your retrosound unit is having trouble powering them. Larger diameter and not "shallow" mount speakers are generally better sounding. It may be all you need.

Buses do tend to be large and are also noisy, so getting much sound to carry from the rear to the front is pretty hard. I'd concentrate on upgrading the front speakers (assuming you don't haul passengers).

I have a '67 bus, with an upgraded audio system and even with a beefed up 60 amp alternator, 5 channel amp, 10" subwoofer, four 6.5" component speakers, and a middle of the road head unit, it still doesn't sound all that amazing when driving since the interior noise is so high. It can really crank, but there is only so much sound my eardrums can manage before I just turn down the radio to power the front speakers and subwoofer.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

Ill tend to agree with the above.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My noise floor is 80db and even with 2 12” subs and 4 front and 4 rear speakers with all this amplification, I still have to crank it up to hear it properly.

BTW I have a 90 amp alternator as well as a huge capacitor so the lights don’t dim when the bass drum kicks.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio amp when you’ve only got a 30 or 38 amp generator? Reply with quote

I ran 2000w total between three amps and 5.1 with (somewhat) generic Pioneer amps and an active crossover, modern deck. 1 500w for the two fronts, one 500w for the two rears and one 1000w for the 12" sub in back.

Never had battery or charging issues or headlight dimming with stock everything including VR.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: