Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helga - Our 71 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

The stereo system is a Bluetooth headless amplifier, connected directly to four speakers. I put an original AM radio in the dash, but it's not hooked up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This Bluetooth amp has a small controller that I'll mount to the ashtray.

I installed 3.5 Infinity Reference speakers in the center dash cover using some scrap birch.

Here's a picture of an auxiliary fuse panel I installed for the accessories. I assigned two spots for Battery+12v and four spots for Ignition+12v. I have the Bluetooth amp and the backup camera mirror on there currently.

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Dude, this is amazing. Love that bus! keep it up!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks! Samba has been a great resource!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

You are doing an amazing job with this bus. Really enjoying the thread and all the stuff you're doing on it. Very Happy Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:

You do nice work, my only comment is on this fuse panel - I typically dont like the unprotected spade connectors. Leaves too much bare 12v+ for my liking.

Also the unprotected terminals look pretty close to the sheet metal here. A thin piece of black plastic from an old oil bottle, trimmed neatly makes a reasonable insulator here under the fuse panel.

Or just switch to the fully plastic covered crimp connectors, rather than the bare ones.

Just personal preference.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
This bus was equipped with air conditioning. It was complete, but obviously had seen better days. We carefully removed all of the components. I may restore them someday, but they are just in the way at this point. I tried researching, but never really found a condenser / air handler like this one.

Wow... just like my first camper.

Mine was red also but up to the driprail. The top was of course white. I believe all the westies were solid color to the drip rail.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Quote:

You do nice work, my only comment is on this fuse panel - I typically dont like the unprotected spade connectors. Leaves too much bare 12v+ for my liking.

Great feedback, and I don't disagree. I think I'll find some protected connectors and redo this part. Thanks!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I figured there are going to be times when the bus is loaded down to the point where you won't be able to see out the back glass very well. So I installed a VanTop H610 rear view camera mirror. I originally wanted the camera inside the bus behind the cargo glass, but I'll try it just above the gutter rail for now. I'm very pleased with how this works. It has front and rear facing cameras that record to microSD card. Install was straightforward.

Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Dash is just about finished. I mounted the Bluetooth stereo controller to the front of the ashtray. I have it hooked up to a pair of Infinity Reference 3.5s under the dash. The plan is for downward facing 6x9 in the headache rack or speakers in the rear hatch; I haven't decided.

Also installed a dual +12v socket. The plug on the left has dual USBs and a handy voltmeter.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Build is coming along nicely and in a timely manner. Did you delete the ashtray, or was it already missing? I’m wondering why you choose to delete a factory part (ashtray) and keep the dealer installed radio. I guess I really don’t care since it’s not my bus, but I have been wondering.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I didn't delete it. I screwed the controller to the face of it. I have a spare ashtray if I choose to put things back to factory. The ashtray is the perfect size and location for the controller, so it was an easy decision.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

The outside of the bus is pretty much finished at this point. I installed a Jeremy hitch on the back, and that thing is sweet. The bumper and splash pans bolted right up to it, and the bumper is way more secure than the stock mounts. I don't plan on towing anything, but we'll get a cargo rack for our upcoming roadtrip.

My daughter got the honor of placing the VW emblem on the front. This makes such a huge difference!

Last edited by Mberglo on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Looks great!!!

The Jermery hitch is awesome, I just put one on 2 weeks ago. I went with the 1 1/4 tho.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

My focus has switched back to driving the vehicle and looking for problems. I had a noise in the rear suspension that turned out to be a loose shock bolt. I was relieved to find that to be a minor fix.

The rollup windows are still tight from the new rubber, and I actually pulled the glass out of the mount trying to roll it down. Cleaned the track and rubber, and glued the glass back in with weatherstrip adhesive and gorilla glue. That seems to be holding.

Cleaned the seatbelts with hot water, oxi-clean, and fabric softener. They came out really nice. I had a hard time adjusting them from decades of sitting in the same spot, but I finally got them to move. I know 50 year old belts aren't NASCAR approved, but let's be honest about the safety of these busses...

I REALLY like this digital rear view mirror! The view is super wide and unobstructed. My only complaint is that the surface is also a mirror, so you can get two images (the digital screen and the mirror reflection). You have to focus your eyes differently to ignore the mirror reflection. I found if I aim the mirror down from the backglass, I can minimize the reflected image. At night, it's 100x better than a real mirror.

I've ordered prefinished birch plywood, which should be here in the next day or so. I'll start rebuilding the latebay backseat and the new cabinets. The automotive restoration project is coming to a close, and it's about to turn into a home remodel.

So far, I've put 500 miles on the drivetrain before body and paint, and another 150 miles after reassembly. Highway cruising is comfortable at 55mph, and tolerable at 60mph. Samba research and my Excel-based rpm tool shows I'm probably turning 3500rpm at 60mph. I think the empty interior makes the engine loud and makes me want to avoid higher rpms. I'm still evaluating carb options. I think the stock Solex 34pict3 can't flow enough air to optimize for this 1776. I sent a message to [email protected] to inquire about increasing the venturi. I don't have time to sort any issues with changing to dual carbs before this trip. I feel like I could go with my current setup, but I'm also willing to make some small easy changes if presented that option.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Going with dual carbs l, I’d recommend the IDF40 with the CB linkage, would really wake that 1776 up. But, you’d have to remove the oil bath air cleaner stand. A single IDF will work well too I bet.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6408.htm
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Then you have to modify the intake for power brake booster. I get nervous introducing too many new variables with a month to go on the build.

I do like the idea of a single 40 rather than duals though.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Mberglo wrote:

Also the unprotected terminals look pretty close to the sheet metal here. A thin piece of black plastic from an old oil bottle, trimmed neatly makes a reasonable insulator here under the fuse panel.

Or just switch to the fully plastic covered crimp connectors, rather than the bare ones.

Just personal preference.

I agree with all the comments about the unprotected terminals being so close to the sheet metal, especially on upstream side of the fuse. When I add circuits I try to use the old style continental fuse blocks. They have screw terminals for the leads and most importantly for the hot line coming to the box. This way you don't have exposed wiring before the fuses and you can use the same continental fuses that are in your main fuse panel.

You may want to consider putting fully insulated slip on connectors at least on the top side of the panel.

Nice work.

Last edited by Anchovy on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Roger. Thanks for the comment. I'm going to switch to protected blade connectors. BTW, I HATE the continental (stock) fuses. The most fragile fuse I've ever seen.

Thanks!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

Work has started on the interior. We've installed the birch headliner and side panels. We rebuilt the late bay rear seat and got that installed.

Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Helga - Our 71 Westfalia Reply with quote

I took the bus on a route through some of our Appalachian foothills over the weekend. While not the Rockies, we do have some short runs with aggressive grade. I couldn't pull them in 4th gear, and in some cases, was at the top of 2nd gear. Afterwards, I visited my engine builder and we talked carbs. He endorsed the Weber 34 ICT duals, so I placed that order this morning.

I still have to finish cabinets, sink, some electrical, and upholstery. Clock is ticking...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: