Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ swap California Registration
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Hello,

The engine in my van was swapped to an 1.9TD AAZ in 2008 by a previous owner. I just received a smog test notification. It was never registered with the referee system. I'm not sure how it got re-registered all these times over the years.

I need to provide documentation to the DMV referee to be cleared to get an inspection. They are asking for an engine diagram. Is there a source online somewhere I can get this?

Also, what is the best way to identify my engine?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Using the term "referee" might cause some confusion. You should not need to take it to a BAR referee. You do need to show the DMV that it's a diesel if the current registration says it's a gas vehicle.

Do you have AAA? This is something you should be able to get done there, or at least it was an easy process through AAA when I brought my TDI swapped vanagon into California (and it was incorrectly registered in Virginia as a gasoline vehicle).

If the diesel engine is older than 1998, it does not need a smog check.

vwdriverfoundvw wrote:
They are asking for an engine diagram.

WHO is asking for this diagram?

Post some pics of the engine and I'm sure someone here will be able to help identify. Do not take it to a BAR referee - that's just asking for trouble and shouldn't be necessary in your case.
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Thanks Erst.

I have been talking to a BAR referee. He says I will need to configure the engine as if it were a 96 in order to have it cleared. I hope I didn't open up a can of worms by talking to them. I called a smog shop to see if they had any idea why I would be asked for a smog check and they told me to call the BAR referee.

This is what the DMV site says:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-ind...ive-power/
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Interesting.

Unfortunately, the AAZ was never offered in the US or California. One option you might have is to swap in a 1.6ECOdiesel (1V engine code) which was sold in the VW Jetta in 1991-92. Those were mechanically injected 1.6 turbo-diesels with a catalyst fitted and without any boost fuel enrichment. That would definitely be easier to accomplish than the 1Z swap with electronic engine management. The 1V performance would be quite sad, but after the smog exemption is done you might have more options. The full 1Z install would result in a better van, though. Better than the AAZ even, although you might want different gearing also. Yup, a can of worms.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

I'm curious if / how it's been smogged in the past. You can look that info up through the plate number or VIN here:
https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Here's what I got when I searched it Sad :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Was it out of state after 2006?

The info in this thread is old, but it may be helpful:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4760810

Most likely you're going to be dealing with a referee since it's been flagged. Did you tell the referee the VIN? I'm guessing it was flagged already, hence the letter, but you might still try to get things sorted out on the paperwork side before going further with a ref.

You might reach out to the guy Jon_slider mentions in the thread above, Ron in San Diego.
Jon_slider wrote:
Success!
No referee.
Call Ron (619) 922-2373 with any questions.

He got my gas to diesel conversion registered as a diesel, no smog tests required.

Don't take a smog shops word on conversion rules. They have no clue.

Autostadt West in Sac. imports a lot of euro T3s and may be able to help point you in the right direction too.

Post some pics of the engine to get a positive ID. It would be great if that engine was from a US '90s Jetta. I think that would make the certification process easier. The different diesels can look pretty similar.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Not sure I am understanding this completely, but it seems your vehicle was gasoline powered until 2008. It went through bi-annual smog checks through 2006 with a gasoline engine. Then it was converted to diesel. It is likely it was exempted from smog checks when converted to diesel in 2008, because diesels weren't required to be smog checked. Now, and my guess it is the result of California Senate Bill SB-1 which taxed diesel fuel and made resources available for things like enforcement of phased in diesel emissions compliance, your vehicle has been flagged. Someone at the State is likely looking at diesel vehicle conversions and requiring them to be compliant with State laws. So any old diesel engine in a Vanagon is no longer acceptable. Now it is being checked for compliance with the State's engine conversion standards. So, as Waldo stated, you may be looking at installing an engine that was sold in US vehicles. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think there is an easy way out of this problem.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Looks like a can of worms. I have a 1990 DOKA that has always been a Diesel so no smog checks. What does your title say? Have you yourself ever smogged it?
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

OOF.

This is turning out to be no fun. I bought this thing to learn about diesels, run renewable fuels, and not have to deal with Smog rules. Now I'm dealing with it in the worst way. Mad

According to the BAR referee, the system is just catching up to a bunch of improperly registered conversions. He said a ton of Toyotas are being flagged now too, that have been converted with engines that CA never got.

I guess I am left with another full swap or selling out of state and looking for another van. Such a shame, as this thing runs so smoothly and I love the simplicity of the all mechanical AAZ.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

vwdriverfoundvw wrote:
OOF.

This is turning out to be no fun. I bought this thing to learn about diesels, run renewable fuels, and not have to deal with Smog rules. Now I'm dealing with it in the worst way. Mad

According to the BAR referee, the system is just catching up to a bunch of improperly registered conversions. He said a ton of Toyotas are being flagged now too, that have been converted with engines that CA never got.

I guess I am left with another full swap or selling out of state and looking for another van. Such a shame, as this thing runs so smoothly and I love the simplicity of the all mechanical AAZ.

Install a diesel from a VW that was sold in California, get it ref'ed, re-install the AAZ. Super easy, if morally flexible.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

I've got a complete 1.6 Vanagon diesel engine I removed from my 82 for sale in the classifieds. It's minus the pan and oil pump.

Shameless plug.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2289690
ethand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

I know this post is old, but just reading up on it myself. Wondering how it will go to try and register a Boxeer Conversion in CA that is currently out of state titled and registered.

The good news for anybody in CA; Americas Mailbox is always an option to register your vehicles. It's a mail forwarding service that gives you an address and allows you to register your vehicles through the mail! You get South Dakota License Plates. Was super useful when I was a full time traveler!

That's my plan B if my registration attempt doesn't work out!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

ethand wrote:
I know this post is old, but just reading up on it myself. Wondering how it will go to try and register a Boxeer Conversion in CA that is currently out of state titled and registered.

The good news for anybody in CA; Americas Mailbox is always an option to register your vehicles. It's a mail forwarding service that gives you an address and allows you to register your vehicles through the mail! You get South Dakota License Plates. Was super useful when I was a full time traveler!

That's my plan B if my registration attempt doesn't work out!

I think it’s 21 days to register your car in CA if you reside in CA, and it is actively enforced in many areas
ethand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

Thanks!

I was told that the vehicle would likely have to pass a DMV inspection before they would allow if to be registered in CA.

Any idea what that entails?? The van is either going to be an '87 or a '90, which should be exempt from smog, but I am curious how much poking around they will want to do in terms of the 2012 passat tdi diesel that has been swapped in there.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

I am no expert on CA emissions , I just moved my last CA car to NY.

There is a metric ton of bad information on fora so go to primary sources for information. The enforcement of this stuff is changing so anecdotes of the past are poor guidance.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

If your van came with a gas motor and was built after 1976, you have to smog it in California. If you put a diesel in it (or someone else did), it's supposed to be blessed by a referee who requires that the engine is installed with all the emissions equipment from the donor car which is basically impossible in many cases. Sometimes in the past the DMV system has allowed converted vans through, but it sounds like that loophole is closing and/or has closed.

Your best bet is registering out of state and telling your neighbors that you're borrowing it from a relative or some such as CA encourages people to rat out vehicles with out of state plates via the CHP website.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ swap California Registration Reply with quote

ethand wrote:
Thanks!

I was told that the vehicle would likely have to pass a DMV inspection before they would allow if to be registered in CA.

Any idea what that entails?? The van is either going to be an '87 or a '90, which should be exempt from smog, but I am curious how much poking around they will want to do in terms of the 2012 passat tdi diesel that has been swapped in there.
In California, by law it is the seller’s responsibility to provide a valid smog certificate. Any engine swap makes you fair game. In my opinion, purchasing a vehicle to register here without one is “unwise”…

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: