Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheel Spin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Greetings Y'all!

I was going to purchase a big displacement motor from FAT Performance. However I was unable to communicate with them. Cant get them on the phone and left messages - no response. This gave me the willies so I started to dig deeper.

I began finding bad reviews of this company since RIMCO bought out FAT Performance.

Should I be buying from this company? If not, who do your recommend for a large displacement performance build?

I could really use some insight here folks.

Many Thanks in Advance!

Cheers!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Many good builders.

Safe bet, talk to Pat Downs @ CB.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Willie Page out of northern Illinois
Wheel Spin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Many good builders.

Safe bet, talk to Pat Downs @ CB.

Thanks Glenn.

You say many good builders. Are there other you might consider?

Cheers
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Stef at Ace performance engines in Cali would be on my shortlist of guys stateside.
canadianeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Following
Wheel Spin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

So Far,

No one is recommending FAT..... Kinda speaks volumes doesn't it?

Anyone else with a rec??

Scott, luke - Thanks for your input.

Cheers
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Where are you located and what engine are you looking to build?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Wheel Spin wrote:
So Far,

No one is recommending FAT..... Kinda speaks volumes doesn't it?

Anyone else with a rec??

Scott, luke - Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Where are you?
Wheel Spin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Does it matter where I am?

I am prepared to pay shipping.

I was looking at a 2.3 liter build.

Cheers
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

I think Pat would treat you right. Cheapest? No.
Knows his shi!?
Yes.
Knowledge is what you pay the additional $$$ for. I’ve wasted soo much money by buying now and learning that I purchased the wrong part later. I’ve got all of these new fancy shiny parts I’ll probably never use.
Haha
Wasted $$$.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

If you can't afford to do it right the first time, how are you going to pay for it when it breaks?

You can also build it yourself, Just buy a CB Builder's Choice engine kit. I've built many engines and the last 2 were from their catalog, a 1915 and a 2017 EFI.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

That 1915 looks badass! Are the air filters a bit small though? It’s clean as heck.
👍
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
That 1915 looks badass! Are the air filters a bit small though? It’s clean as heck.
👍

Needed to clean the Ghia decklid springs.

The customer loves it. Car was in a magazine, he's a bit anal over everything.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Shawn Geers hands down. If your budget allows. He is at the top of his game.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Wheel Spin wrote:

Cheers

It will IF you have any issues. ......and you probably will. Get a local guy to build you one. He can help you tune it and install it and possibly teach you a thing or two. Money well spent to team up with a local guy.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Fat.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Wheel Spin wrote:

Cheers

It will IF you have any issues. ......and you probably will. Get a local guy to build you one. He can help you tune it and install it and possibly teach you a thing or two. Money well spent to team up with a local guy.

I agree. That is why I asked. I had an experience with a builder that was 700 miles away and I had a problem and certainly wished I could visit the shop and see if progress was actually being made instead of being told lies. On top of that you get to check out the shop and if there are any problems you don't have to ship and waste your time waiting for that to occur.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

Pat Downs obviously. I spoke to him personally a good few months ago and he's a top guy.
Chico st Steelbuggin also does nice work.
Wheel Spin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Recommendation on a Built Motor Please! Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
MURZI wrote:
Wheel Spin wrote:

Cheers

I agree. That is why I asked. I had an experience with a builder that was 700 miles away and I had a problem and certainly wished I could visit the shop and see if progress was actually being made instead of being told lies. On top of that you get to check out the shop and if there are any problems you don't have to ship and waste your time waiting for that to occur.

Who was the builder? If you had a problem of honesty with a supplier, it would be good to share it with the community.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: