Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patina 1960 15 Window
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Well, I've been lucky enough that I recently acquired another 1960 15 Window, this time a lot more solid and with some awesome patina. Here's the story again on how I found it, copied from the Bus Hunting thread...

Squilly wrote:
Pretty excited to get to share these on my favorite thread and possibly the most unconventional bus hunting method documented so far...

This started out as a hunt for a 1960 15 Window bus and ended up becoming a 2 bus extraction, the other being a 1962 Walk-thru 23.

I first saw the 15 back in February 2017, but not in person. It actually sorta found me. One of the guys I was living with while at college matched with a girl on Tinder and immediately showed me her profile and jokingly said, “dude, check this girl out. She’s got a bus in her picture so you’d probably like her.” I took his phone and out loud said “holy s**t that looks like an early deluxe.” Shocked I was immediately was made fun of for being more interested in the bus but I was able to track down the photographer who took the pictures, messaged her and asked if she would show me where that “old bus” was in some of her pictures if I just paid her the going rate for a photo session. She agreed but insisted that we actually do the photo session… so I drove 3 hours from school to take these silly pictures I didn’t even really want and are totally not my style but whatever. She had me sounding out vowels really slow and kept asking me to run my fingers through my hair, look moody, etc. Rolling Eyes

After we finished and she had left the owner had just come home, so I introduced myself and told him that am really only there so I could see this bus for myself. So we talk VWs for a while and I finally ask if he’d be willing to sell. He said he’s had it for 20+ years and life has gotten in the way but he wants to finish swapping a roof off of another 23 window he has onto the 15... Shocked
“Come back in 3 years and maybe we’ll see.” Here’s what I left with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since then I would lose sleep over thinking about this bus at least once a month, depending on how much VW related stuff I was doing. So 2-3 weeks ago I decide I’ll just go out and see if he’s there and can plant the seed again. Drive 5 hours from Steamboat in my syncro doka and he’s not home. I loiter for a bit around this little town and keep checking back in on his place periodically then decide to come back tomorrow so I head back to Colorado to camp.

I head back on Sunday and he’s there. Knock on the door, we talk, look at the doka, look at the 15 again, and talk some more. I ask again if he’d be willing to sell it and he says probably not yet I still might get to it, that kind of stuff. So I went home emtpy handed then a week later he texts me saying he changed his mind. Rented 2 U-Hauls and picked them up a week later! Very Happy

Last edited by Squilly on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Nice 15
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Only took a week for me to dive into this and try to get it back on the road. Plates on it indicate that it was last registered in 1985...

Started off by soaking the bottom side of it a few times a day with Simple Green poured into the soap tank of the power washer on low pressure. A little elbow grease and it turned out pretty nice! Then I refreshed the brakes with a new master cylinder, shoes, wheel cylinders, and durm turning.

Then we cleaned out the gas tank, rebuilt the reserve tap, replaced the transmission mounts, throw out bearing, main seal, fluids, etc.

Probably the most annoying problem with the bus was that someone had cut the rear cargo door hinges. Assuming that it was becasue they were siezed or the screws were siezed? Either way they came out with lots of PB Blaster, heat, and an impact driver. Found some new hinges, tapped out the old pins, cleaned up, and replaced and repainted. Just need to take the shine off them at some point.

Then 4 of us pulled a late night and re-assembled this 1776cc and stabbed it in so that we could take it to lunch the next day at the KCW favorite wings spot, Roosters.

Next steps are going to be finding a chome emblem, some tail lights, and getting it registerd. After that I'm thinking I'll address the little rust that it's got so that we can put a nice interior in it. The plan is to keep the bus stock hight with more Colorado-friendly tires on the original 15s, buffed paint, and a fresh interior. Final drivetrain is still TBD. I'm loving having an original paint bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Mirrors may be helpful too...

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

nice paint!

I think side mirrors were optional on a 15. Does it have factory hinge pins both sides?
I added a drivers side mirror to mine. Almost changed lanes into a Mazda Miata on my right once, they were short and in the blind spot (everything below the beltline).

piping for the beltline?
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
nice paint!

I think side mirrors were optional on a 15. Does it have factory hinge pins both sides?
I added a drivers side mirror to mine. Almost changed lanes into a Mazda Miata on my right once, they were short and in the blind spot (everything below the beltline).

piping for the beltline?

Oh really? I never knew that. It looks like it has the factory door pin in the passenger side door, but the mirror arm was cut on the driver's side.

SWR piping on the beltline will be added for sure.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I added a drivers side mirror to mine. Almost changed lanes into a Mazda Miata on my right once, they were short and in the blind spot (everything below the beltline)

Do you mean the passenger side or both?
I agree with passenger side, especially since that's an M-code too.
Driver's side with no mirror would be weird and I assume against the road laws at the time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Congrats that's dope I love that patina!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

taillights are overrated.

Nice bus!
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
taillights are overrated.

Nice bus!

Right!? My hands work fine for signaling
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

You may be embarrassed about that swanky photo shoot, but someday you may look back on those photos and be glad you had them taken, especially now that you own the bus.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

awesome bus, and quick work.

the transmission boots should be turned to say 2pm... They look like they point straight up which will resist the up and down movement.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Really cool, the patina is awesome!

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
awesome bus, and quick work.

the transmission boots should be turned to say 2pm... They look like they point straight up which will resist the up and down movement.

Thanks! And they're turned, I think the angle is just funky
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Super nice find!

"Funky" is better than prematurely cracked axle boots spilling out gear oil all over the place Razz We have all likely been there. Some people swear by one piece axle boots as they leak less- installing them is another matter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Clara wrote:
I added a drivers side mirror to mine. Almost changed lanes into a Mazda Miata on my right once, they were short and in the blind spot (everything below the beltline)

Driver's side with no mirror would be weird and I assume against the road laws at the time.

optional to have side mirrors at all, fwir, but interior rear view mirror was standard. My April 61 had both factory front door hinge pins when I got it. UP port code.
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Clara wrote:

optional to have side mirrors at all, fwir, but interior rear view mirror was standard. My April 61 had both factory front door hinge pins when I got it. UP port code.

my 63 15 window has a factory hinge pin with no PS mirror. DS had a mirror.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

"repainted buses swipe left" er or something like that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Very nice resurrection !
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Patina 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Looks sweet! Cool Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: