Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

End of an era. 21 years of amazing adventures and life altering events. Wouldn't have been possible without my Westfalia. Hope you guys don't mind giving my your input on potential value.

KAIMI – The Seeker
1985 Volkswagen Westfalia – Offgrid Overland Build

I have owned Kaimi for 21 years. I am the second owner. She was purchased in Southern California, relocated to Utah in 2000 then the PNW in 2015. Body is in excellent clean condition with no rust damage. Interior is extremely clean and cared for. This vehicle literally changed my life and she'll be missed! It's time for a new owner to continue the adventure.

Engine & Transmission
Subaru EJ25 2.5L Engine – Metric Motors Zero Time Build - 12k Miles
Custom Air Box – K&N Air Filter
High Torque Diesel Starter Motor – Rocky Mountain Westy Adapter Plate
Small Car Performance Shortened Oil Pan
KEF Engine Carrier
Small Car Performance Stainless Headers
Transmission rebuilt in 2005
OBD II Bluetooth Transmitter
Updated Tach Guage

Suspension & Wheels
South African 15” Wheels with Nokian Hakka C Tires
PowerFlex Polyurethane Suspension Bushings - T3Technique
GoWesty Progressive Lift Springs
GoWesty Custom Biltein Shocks
T3Technique HD Front Anit-Roll Bar

Hot Water System – Shower & Sink
SHURFLO Marine Water Pump
SHURFLO Marine Faucet
Fully integrated heating coil that uses engine coolant to heat 13 gallons of onboard water to 98 degrees in 20 minutes of normal driving. Fully insulated water tank stays hot for hours.
Shower Head and Hose Attachment at rear base cabinet.
Pop Up Shower Enclosure Included
Dripless Medical Grade Connectors
Digital Programmable Thermostat on Control Panel

Electrical & Solar
Vitrifrigo Refrigerator – German Compressor High Efficiency 12v/120v
210 Amp Hour House Batteries
SunSaver Duo Solar Controller
80 Watt Solar Panel – Mounted in Exterior Cargo Hold
80 Watt Remote Solar Panel
Brand New Xantrex Freedom 1000 Inverter Charger
Marine Grade Breakers and Panels
Yandina 100 Combiner
Custom Power Panel – USB, 12v, 120V Outputs

Interior
Brand New Leather Captain's Seats
Seat Heaters – Currently need to be installed
SewFine Complete Carpet Set – 2005ish
3” Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Brand New LPV Acacia Flooring – Original Flooring Included with Tracks
Pioneer AVH-3500NEX Flip Out DIN AV Receiver – CarPlay & Android Auto
JL Power Amplifier
Nakamichi Sub Woofers with Boston Acoustic Mid/Tweeter Drivers
Rotary Knob Tunable Bass

Exterior Body – Upgrades
Brand New Atelierspk 3 Window Sunbrella Pop-Top Tent
GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers with Integrated Class III Hitch
South African Grille with H4/H3 Headlights – 55/60 & 100 Included
GoWesty Updated Connection Boxes
2X Air Horn
Rhino Liner Panel Protection
Shady Boy Awning
Thule Roof Rack
Jack Bombay HD Lift Shocks
2 Thule Rocket Boxes
HD Hitch Basket
HD Hitch Bike Rack
Brand New Trimless Euro Window & Door Seals – Need to be installed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by scottjk on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Beautiful build! GLWS.

No help on value though.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

$15K? I'd suggest putting it on Bring a Trailer no reserve. It will sell and the vanagons have been bringing decent money. They have a selling history you can look at. You can't judge it by the asking prices on the Samba. Those prices seem to be the "I don't want to sell it price". Good luck with the sale.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Mark. I'm not sure how you'd do on the Price is Right though. Laughing

In all seriousness, even a quick historic search on SOLD Westfalias on EBAY show pricing in this condition minus the upgrades in the mid 20's. I realize everyone thinks their gear is worth more than it is but honestly this is probably one of the cleanest well built and thought out Westy's on the market.

It will be on BAT (with Reserve), EBAY, Craiglist, Offerup, The Samba, Car Gurus ect...

I'm in no hurry. The right person will find this and own a great turn key offgrid Westy.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

My initial thought before reading your comments was $25k. With the condition and upgrades you should be able to get that here on the west coast.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

What's my van worth? comes up often. There really are too many variables for anyone to predict. That said, There is an arse for every seat. The 2.5 probably kills your California market. What you consider upgrades, may put some buyers off. If you are not in a hurry to sell it that helps. If you need the money and space price accordingly.

I'm more of a bandaide type person. I've wasted way to much time corresponding with squirrels over van's I've had for sale. Just the week on BAT would probably drive me to the nut house. When I decide to sell something, I want it gone.

Best of luck with the sale.

edit: plus it sounds like you know what it's worth. Wink
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Someone would be lucky if they had that van for 22k-25k.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

The above comment is fair, when looking at the sold ebay values. But we all know that the higher quality rigs in general do not sell on eBay. The pre-86 vans do not command as much, that’s the biggest issue with your van. But that being said I don’t see many pre-86 vans with the amount of work you have completed including a +12k conversion, let alone all the other stuff including that it looks cleaner And more modern than most pre-86 vans. If it was burnt out orange color (no offense to those that have) it would immediately drop the price 5k in my opinion.

Come up with a value you think is fair, then drop the price a bit to account for your bias. Your timeline also determines asking price. If you can be patient and go thru months of flakey inquiries you can work at the higher price. If you want it sold quickly obviously go below the bottom of your price range. Maybe that’s 18k-20k. But I personally don’t think 20k-25k is unrealistic. There’s a few other newer Westy on samba now with EJ25 conversion for mid to low 20’s, basically the same as your van as you have updated a lot.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

it's worth exactly what someone will pay.

post an ad with what you think is a reasonable price after reviewing the internet for sales information. asking the forum to value your property is not what the forum is here for... i could be wrong.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
...I'm more of a bandaid type person...

I take that to mean as in: just rip the Band-aid off. I agree.

Last year I sold a car I had driven and enjoyed for 37 years. Last thing I wanted was a long drawn out process dealing with buyers and wanna-be buyers.

I asked myself what selling price would I be somewhat disappointed in... then I put it on BaT with a reserve just slightly higher than that.

In 7 days it was sold and that was that.

The advantage of BaT is that bidders have a lot of skin in the game (if they back out they still get the BaT fee on their credit card) and the cost to the seller is only $99.

But if you do go the BaT route be scrupulously honest in disclosing everything and be available to participate in the conversation. Neglect either of those and the peanut gallery will have you for lunch.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
it's worth exactly what someone will pay.

post an ad with what you think is a reasonable price after reviewing the internet for sales information. asking the forum to value your property is not what the forum is here for... i could be wrong.

I respectfully disagree: this forum is for whatever someone wants to use it for, if it relates to our vans. Asking for some honest perspective about the value of a van is not in anyway out of line, and may fall along the lines of the “should I get a van” newby threads we see pop up monthly.

Let’s be good sports and help out a obviously passionate fellow van owner of our community and move on. (Recently there was another thread where a poster seemed to get the book thrown at him for not removing the windows on a paint job.)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
(Recently there was another thread where a poster seemed to get the book thrown at him for not removing the windows on a paint job.)

In both cases it was the OP's irrational responses which escalated the caustic tone and tenor of the respective discussions. This thread is an ad, plain and simple. It doesn't belong in this section.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

It’s not an add it had general question and not the first of its kind.
Chris Beebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

I've bought 2 Westy's here on The Samba and just bought an MG Midget on BaT. Bring a Trailer is awesome - super knowledgeable people that'll tell you you'll never get out what you put into a vehicle over stock. I think you'll get a fair idea of pricing by taking 10-15% off a Samba list price, and triangulating it with Ebay and BaT, but after looking at hundreds of Westy's on those three platforms, keep in mind that these are highly specialized and personalized rigs and connecting with the right person with the right price might take some time. It's a great build, and I would expect you would see similar builds at $40-50k here. Another consideration is that VanLife has exploded in the last couple of years, and I wouldn't calc in any sales before then. Just my humble opinion. Good luck with the sale.
'76 Lancia Beta Coupe (sold)
'73 MG Midget
'19 VW Alltrack
'89 F250 Rescue Rig Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

$25K came to mind but there are a number mods and features that some will pay for and others see as price deductions or deal-breakers:

- K&N filter = a dirty engine, deduct $500 (let the debate begin...I rest my case).
- Pre-1987 with an undesireable deteriorating brown interior, a portion of the market stops looking there.
- Ugly fridge and outbreak of ugly electronics in the kitchen, deduct $500 to repair
- What good is a engine coolant based hot water heater on an overland build? What do you do on day two or when you want a warm shower after a long bike ride or overnight backpack? Deduct $500 to reverse and replace with a modern hot water heater.
- A transmission rebuild in 2005 sounds like it's due next few weeks.
- "Biltein" shocks are preferred by 16% of Vanagon drivers.
- The solar system sounds like it's a decade old and nearly or entirely obsolete. How old are the batteries? Solar panels? At 80 watts I'm guessing five years or older. Again, what was cool 5-10-15 years ago is ready for replacement today. Yandina is definitely old school (it's what I have as a leftover from before-solar 1.0). Plan for $1K in upgrades.
- Is the usb socket 2.1 amp per socket or less? How do I quick charge my phone? Deduct $100 for parts and labor to adress deferred maintenance.
- Seat heater project, deduct $100
- Bad window and door seals, deduct $500
- Latex mattress topper, deduct $250 if you make me take it with me, I'll just have to take it to the dump.
- Speakers in the kick panel consuming valuable storage space, deduct $500 for parts, labor and disposal fees to return to proper function.
- 2005 aftermarket carpets, deduct $350 for 15 years wear and tear
- Antique shady boy awning, deduct $500 for disposal and replacement with modern, full coverage awning
- Van name, deduct $100 on principle
- Van sub-title, deduct $500 for pretentious oversell. It's 2020, overland rigs have 37"+ tires
- Did I miss it or is there really no heater? That severely restricts multi-season overlanding. Deduct $1,500 for parts and labor for deferred necessary upgrades.

The list could go on, but the more you list the more it looks like this van was updated in 15 years ago and is due for many upgrades and deferred service maintenance items.

$15K sounds more reasonable.

It sounds like you've had many years of pleasure with this rig. It was built for your needs and exceeded them. But it's tired. Consider passing this aged gem on as a gift to some people who will cherish it. Be straightforward in what it is (the above list is not) ask for essays and give the writer of your favorite one the deal of a lifetime that you both talk about for years to come. Don't smudge the memory of KAIMI by simply taking the highest bid in exchange for a friend who's treated you so well.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Did you say how many miles are on the van?

Did you fix the overheating and potentially catastrophic A/C wiring that you have discussed in a couple recent threads?

Is it still the stock brakes? How many miles/years on the tires?

Most of the items listed add little to no value. Some detract.

$15,000-$18,000 assuming the A/C wiring is fixed and there is less than 150,000 miles on the van.
Chris Beebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

jimf909 makes some good points, and I had missed that the van's a 2WD, so my suggested price range is probably high. Instead of just listing years that mods and repairs were done, I would be looking for miles on the new stuff as well - it's a much better indicator. Also, after watching a lot of auctions, it seems to me like the best prices come from auctions with reserves. You can always place the reserve low, but I think the mystery and pressure that it might not sell drives prices up. Just my observation with no scientific backup.
'76 Lancia Beta Coupe (sold)
'73 MG Midget
'19 VW Alltrack
'89 F250 Rescue Rig Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
$25K came to mind but there are a number mods and features that some will pay for and others see as price deductions or deal-breakers:

- K&N filter = a dirty engine, deduct $500 (let the debate begin...I rest my case).
- Pre-1987 with an undesireable deteriorating brown interior, a portion of the market stops looking there.
- Ugly fridge and outbreak of ugly electronics in the kitchen, deduct $500 to repair
- What good is a engine coolant based hot water heater on an overland build? What do you do on day two or when you want a warm shower after a long bike ride or overnight backpack? Deduct $500 to reverse and replace with a modern hot water heater.
- A transmission rebuild in 2005 sounds like it's due next few weeks.
- "Biltein" shocks are preferred by 16% of Vanagon drivers.
- The solar system sounds like it's a decade old and nearly or entirely obsolete. How old are the batteries? Solar panels? At 80 watts I'm guessing five years or older. Again, what was cool 5-10-15 years ago is ready for replacement today. Yandina is definitely old school (it's what I have as a leftover from before-solar 1.0). Plan for $1K in upgrades.
- Is the usb socket 2.1 amp per socket or less? How do I quick charge my phone? Deduct $100 for parts and labor to adress deferred maintenance.
- Seat heater project, deduct $100
- Bad window and door seals, deduct $500
- Latex mattress topper, deduct $250 if you make me take it with me, I'll just have to take it to the dump.
- Speakers in the kick panel consuming valuable storage space, deduct $500 for parts, labor and disposal fees to return to proper function.
- 2005 aftermarket carpets, deduct $350 for 15 years wear and tear
- Antique shady boy awning, deduct $500 for disposal and replacement with modern, full coverage awning
- Van name, deduct $100 on principle
- Van sub-title, deduct $500 for pretentious oversell. It's 2020, overland rigs have 37"+ tires
- Did I miss it or is there really no heater? That severely restricts multi-season overlanding. Deduct $1,500 for parts and labor for deferred necessary upgrades.

The list could go on, but the more you list the more it looks like this van was updated in 15 years ago and is due for many upgrades and deferred service maintenance items.

$15K sounds more reasonable.

It sounds like you've had many years of pleasure with this rig. It was built for your needs and exceeded them. But it's tired. Consider passing this aged gem on as a gift to some people who will cherish it. Be straightforward in what it is (the above list is not) ask for essays and give the writer of your favorite one the deal of a lifetime that you both talk about for years to come. Don't smudge the memory of KAIMI by simply taking the highest bid in exchange for a friend who's treated you so well.

My chi just got harshed.

Good input for seller.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

take all the pictures you can, write up everything you can remember doing, send all the information here https://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23894
a friend has been rebuilding westy's, they come out stunning, nut and bolt restorations, he does this, he gets the valuation, that's what he advertises them for, his phone doesn't stop ringing until the ad is taken down when the van is sold, every single one of them sold for what GW suggests they are worth, and they usually sell really quickly.

619 201 0310
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

I don't even want to know what GW would say my van is worth. The letter comes back with 1 sentence, "You'd have to pay the seller $52.37 to take it."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: