Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing engine into Canada from the USA.
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadianeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

I am having an engine built in California. The builder doesn't deal with exports, so delivery to my door from them is out of the question. Can anyone recommend a broker in NY that could handle this for me?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

How about shipping it to Watertown and taking a drive to get it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canadianeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

Not with the current state of Covid, this is the definition of non-essential travel ha... I also wouldn't want to make the drive only to not have correct paperwork.

If you have experience with a broker, please let me know. I'm not driving to pick it up.
canadianeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

Lively section of he forum Very Happy

I found a broker. When all is said and done I will post my experience here.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

I’ve got a good connection in Buffalo area. I don’t think it’s that hard to move goods over but a broker does this for a living.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

Covid aside, it's straightforward to import the engine. My neighbour imported an engine for his '69 a few years ago.

Pre-Covid, you could have it shipped to Ogdensburg, there are several locations there to have items shipped to. My nieghbour had his engine shipped there and went over with a trailer. When he crossed back over, he presented the paperwork and there was minimal charge as the engine was built in the US (thank you NAFTA).

Post-Covid, you will have to find a broker to pick the engine up and transport it to Canada. The cost will be higher as you will have to pay brokerage fees.

It may be cheaper to have the broker pick the engine up directly in California, as opposed to finding a third party location to ship it to in upstate New York.

Good Luck, I'm in Ottawa, maybe I'll see you at an event next summer.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Importing engine into Canada from the USA. Reply with quote

I know I'm super late to the party, but maybe this will help someone in the future. I'm in Calgary, so ~300km north of the border. At most of the crossings on the Montana side, there are several shipping depots. Pretty much just a warehouse. You sign up online for a free account there, and go ahead and have whatever you want shipped to that address. Cost is minimal I'd say. For example, an entire pallet will cost $30/ month for as long as you want to keep it there. I know people who have everything from shoes to vacuums to furniture sent there. Normally (pre-Covid), they would make a couple trips a year down and pick up their loot.
The good news is, there's a local company that goes down there pretty much every day, and picks up deliveries from these places. Because they're a business, they can get across the border no problem. The fee they charge to bring stuff back to the city is less than my gas to do it myself (if I could that is). Never mind the entire day of driving to get it done.

I'm going to bet most US / Canada border towns have the same sort of deal. It's worth looking into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: