Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

My TMI cards have warped.

Vinyl is fine.

Has anyone un glued TMI vinyl from the cards and Glued them to new wood door cards?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

XXX-1.8T wrote:
My TMI cards have warped.

Vinyl is fine.

Has anyone un glued TMI vinyl from the cards and Glued them to new wood door cards?

Maybe? I don’t know if mine were TMI, I know they were not original and were not the highest quality. They seemed to be little more than cardboard. It took some time to do, my wife helped me, but it was worth it. I did use some heat to warm up the glue and some of the backing did come off, I just used a little goop off. I can’t remember if it was my hair dryer or my heat gun. When I glued the material back on, I used 3M quick dry spray on adhesive and lots of clips to hold the material in place until it dried. I ended up doing it in sections so I could make it tight and correct any mistakes as I went. That 3M stuff can be a real mess to work with in large areas.

These are the cards I used:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323635305680
'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Can you not just unwarp them?
Slightly dampen the cardboard/timber and press them between two sheets of plywood with some weight on it for a couple of days. Repeat if necessary. If they come out flat paint the surface with some fibreglass resin to keep them flat.

Might be worth trying before you rip off the vinyl. There would be a lot of glue you need to clean off to make it look good. Ok if the glue is only on the back.
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Slightly dampen the cardboard/timber and press them between two sheets of plywood with some weight on it for a couple of days. Repeat if necessary. If they come out flat paint the surface with some fibreglass resin to keep them flat.

Might be worth trying before you rip off the vinyl. There would be a lot of glue you need to clean off to make it look good. Ok if the glue is only on the back.

I’d say that’s worth a shot. Mine were so damp that they were falling apart and the holes were too big for the clips, so mine was pretty useless as it was.
'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:

Well the backing isn’t only warped but cracked and the clips don’t stay in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Well OK, that's a different situation.

I believe the best replacement is to use masonite, but I believe that the current day material is too thick compared to what was used on the original door cards, causing fitment issues.

Alternatively use timber but I would saturate the timber with fibreglass resin (plus catalyst). This will impart strength and also a degree of waterproofness. Don't forget the edges in particular.

I vaguely remember someone selling timber cutout patterns ready to cover. I know they are available here in Australia, but I'm sure someone also makes them in the US.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

The cards should not be getting wet. Have you a plastic vapour barrier between the door and the card,this is essential.
1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

It takes tremendous patience and skill- but you can take the new Masonite material and shave off a little here and there. The places it comes in contact with the door frame (whole perimeter, diagonal cross pieces and armrest area, etc.) can be shaved or thinned using a belt sander and a lot of sobriety.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Well OK, that's a different situation.

I believe the best replacement is to use masonite, but I believe that the current day material is too thick compared to what was used on the original door cards, causing fitment issues.

Alternatively use timber but I would saturate the timber with fibreglass resin (plus catalyst). This will impart strength and also a degree of waterproofness. Don't forget the edges in particular.

I vaguely remember someone selling timber cutout patterns ready to cover. I know they are available here in Australia, but I'm sure someone also makes them in the US.

I’m in Sydney as well

My trimmer recommended I buy from Australian Door Cards so have ordered a pair 👍

Yes will use plastic sheets this time as well so they don’t get wet again👍
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Well I didn’t see that🤪.

Yes they are the mob I’m talking about but I think it is either MDF or thin timber from recollection.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

He told me it was Masonite 👍
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

https://australiandoorcards.com.au/pages/door-cards
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Success!!!

Came out better than new👌

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps other people!

Now my cards can last another 15 years.
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Looks great! Congrats Very Happy
'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Nice job!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Thanks was worried they were for the rubbish.

The original TMI wood had disintegrated after getting wet over the years.

Hopefully this helps others with TMI cards.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

XXX-1.8T wrote:
Yes will use plastic sheets this time as well so they don’t get wet again👍

Check threads on doing this well; some use two sheets, one tucked inside the door as an extra measure. Also check your window scrapers; they never seal perfectly even when new, but they help. Lastly, make sure the door drains are clear.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

When I first got my TMI door cards (for a ‘70s model, not that it makes a difference), I rolled and brushed three coats of Rustoleum oil-based paint on the backs, being careful not to get paint on the vinyl facing. This pretty much sealed the pressed-wood-whatever material they used for the back.

I also installed a plastic vapor barrier.

This is one of those do it once and forget it jobs.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

Some links:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449974
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512120
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Door Cards Warped - Has anyone restored them? Reply with quote

XXX-1.8T wrote:
Success!!!

Came out better than new👌

Hope this helps other people!

Now my cards can last another 15 years.

Surely he's showing us new ones... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: