Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan oil cooler hoses
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclingpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the oil cooler hoses for the 2002 2.8L VR6 24 valve engine? They are no longer being made and don’t seem to be available anywhere. I have 187K on my van and there is a hole in one of the oil cooler hoses which is causing me to loose about 1 quart of coolant every time I drive the van. I am guessing that I should just bite the bullet and replace the oil cooler at the same time. My luck would be that I find a replacement for the hose and then the cooler fails... any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Greg
vwplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I used a Gates 18043 with a little trimming on both sides from a Honda Pilot for the larger of the two hoses. Use a good screw type hose clamp that does not cut the hose on the end that connects to the block as it is a bit large.

Change the two oil cooler seals at the same time.

Cheers,
Robert

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

The constant pressure clamps fromVW are much better than toy clamps, or use oetikers. Screw clamps belong on earrings
Cyclingpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. My local parts supplier suggested that I just take it apart and then they would try to match it up as close as possible. Did you replace your oil cooler at the same time? I need to do an oil change anyway so if I’m going to make a mess and drain all the coolant I might as well just drain the oil at the same time and do it all at once. Oil coolers seem to be pretty cheap so it seams like it just makes sense to replace it all.
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

For reference:

022121058A is the oil cooler to the plastic 'crack' pipe, thats the hose in the front of the picture. It is still available, but through VW classic parts in Germany, and they don't ship direct to the US. I got my via a friend in Europe, but it looks like the web site shows a VW dealer in Canada that may be able to get it (sometimes they bundle a group order).

022121096A is the oil cooler to block hose that Robert mentioned for the Gates 18043 interchange (nice find!). I got my VW hose from eBay last year, but I don't see it anymore.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

Hey everyone: I came across this thread while trying to find the two hoses mentioned here. A couple of questions: Robert, when you say you "a little trimming off both sides" do you mean cutting of some of the length on both ends? In order to get to this area of the engine is it necessary to move the radiator out of the way or can you remove the belly pan and get at it from below? I've got a Gates hose coming next week so hopefully I can get this fixed. Thanks
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

For access, after the belly pan removal, mine had the secondary air injection compressor in the way, so I took that out too. It can be hard to get access to those spring clamps some times. While you are in there… the plastic coolant pipe that one of the hoses connects is good to replace, along with the plastic thermostat body.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I just took off the pan yesterday and you are right. Its tight up in there and that air injection compressor is right in the way. BTW, my hoses were the opposite of how you describe them. the 022121058A was connected to the block and the 022121096A is connected to the pipe. These are original to the van. I'm going to see if I can change out all the parts you mentioned and I am going to try and find a replacement for the 022121096A since its not looking too good. Thanks again!
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

In the middle of a coolant system refresh (among other things) and have the following to add:

ETKA diagram is indeed backwards: in reality 022121058A connects the oil cooler to the engine block. 022121096A connects the oil cooler to the crossover pipe (aka crackpipe). Regardless, both are NLA in the US. There are sources overseas but they don't ship to the US. The sources are somewhat rare as the VR6 was a rare bird in Europe.

071121058A (from Mark IV Jetta/Golf 24v VR6) seems like a suitable replacement for 022121058A - it has the slightly larger 16mm ID for the oil cooler and the smaller 13mm ID for the fitting on the block. The molded turns on the hose are different but fits with a bit of creativity.

022121096 (without the A) is a marginal substitute for the 022121096A. It does have the same 16mm/13mm dual ID but the molded turns are off such that it puts a bit of a lateral strain on the crossover pipe fitting. I have concerns about the longevity of this fitting considering its plastic.

Another potential option is Dual ID heater hoses from gates. They don't have the molded turns but with enough length and creative routing, they should work. Be sure to avoid any chaffing points (hose clamp ears, block, etc.): https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/heater-hose.p.4257-000000-000000.html

On the plus side, the crossover pipe I pulled was original to my 03 EVW showing a date stamp of 11/02. Without the lateral strain, I would have full confidence in ~18 years of future service from the new crossover pipe. However, I'm considering switching over to an aluminum crossover pipe due to the lateral strain issue. Price wise, they are similar.

Edited to add photos
Addelliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

Glad I found this Topic. I'm in the middle of fixing a leak Oil Cooler pipe to block, and as hard, or as creative I tried to be couldn't get the 058A to hook up from cooler to block without a kink in the hose coming out of cooler. When comparing the original hose to the replacement I'm not surprised. Am going to try your suggestion of the Gates Dual ID Heater Hose, though I'm not quite sure of whether I select the 16mm or the 13mm ID, in order to assure I've the 16mm needed for the cooler end and 13mm for the rest that I'll adjust to get to what I believe you reflect in the pics provided. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Doug
‘78 BMW 530
‘88 BMW 535is
‘91 BMW 535i
‘02 BMW 540
‘11 Subaru Outback
‘09 Subaru Forester XT
‘03 VW Eurovan
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 eurovan oil cooler hoses Reply with quote

For clarification, I settled on the following solution:

I switched to an aluminum coolant crossover pipe during this refresh. As a result, I felt more confident in the coolant line pulling some lateral strain on the cross over pipe fitting since it is welded/braised aluminum (vs plastic of the OEM cross over pipe).

To/from the oil cooler, I used the two VW hoses for the MkIV Jetta/Golf VR6s: 071121058A and 022121096. The pictures in my post show those two hoses installed to the OEM plastic cross over pipe. As mentioned above, I swapped the plastic pipe to aftermarket aluminum (not pictured in those two photos).

Not quite 2 years and 10k miles later and no problems with this solution.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: