Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
This comes from the oil breathe, right? If i were to just clamp it to the oil filler neck, would that solve the leak?

yeah, without that tube in place you'll be puking oil all over the place. i would recommend pulling the breather up top replace the hose, clamp the one side and place the breather back on (new gaskets or sealant) make sure the hose goes over the pip on the filler and then clamp that SOB back in place so it doesnt move ever again and that should fix the problem.
to me it looks like someone pulled the breather and didnt pay attention to how its supposed to go back together. it happens . Wink

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
Thanks for the input. I went the back of the car and found that it was peeing oil all over the place. There is this orange outside rubber tube and a black inside tube that i found was the culprit. First of all, what is it, and second, how do i replace it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a 1 1/2 to 2 inch standing pipe next to that hose coming up from the curved part of the oil filler pipe? If so. that hose needs to go on that pipe.

It's part of the emissions system.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

I fixed that leak. Thanks for the help. But i am still having troubles with the starter. I will go to start it, and there will just be a click. Then, if i go underneath and cross the terminal from the ignition switch and the terminal from the main battery post, then it clicks and then i can start it from the key.
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the floor pan thickness is for type 3? Im trying to replace the battery rust out section.
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

I realized that i have not actually posted photos of the whole car, so here it is.

This is Viv, a 1971 squareback with 50,000 original miles. I believe that this is sapphire blue? Is it an original color? I tried to get a good picture of the paint. Original Fuel Injection running after sitting for awhile in a field in oregon.

Working on relpacing floor patch
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

After finishing welding and putting it all back together, Im still having the same starter problem. So, i will turn the key and it will engage and turn the engine over. It didnt quite start so i went and tried it again. Then all i got was a single click and then nothing. i di d this multiple times and still nothing. It is a remanufactured starter that was just purchased less than a month ago. What could be the problem? The battery is 100% and all the wiring is mostly new. Some advice would be helpful.
Thanks
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Could be the ignition switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Great looking blue!
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

There's like twenty wires in the whole car. My one electrical class rewired an entire car that easy, so can you.
You need to figure out what is called "voltage drop". Somewhere you're losing power. So instead of trying to replace stuff, find out where you're missing the power. Do you have a volt meter, it know how to use it? That will need to be your first thing, so you can find the power and then where is supposed to be.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Yes okay I think I have fixed it. It starts with every time now. Thanks for the help.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

[quote="1971 viv"]I realized that i have not actually posted photos of the whole car, so here it is.

This is Viv, a 1971 squareback with 50,000 original miles. I believe that this is sapphire blue? Is it an original color? I tried to get a good picture of the paint. Original Fuel Injection running after sitting for awhile in a field in oregon.

I believe that color is Sapphire blue.
You want to get those 4 boots for the intake manifold on ALL the way (should be almost flush with the plenum). They step up onto the plenum tubes. A little hand cleaner will make them slide on easier.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks Bobnotch. I will do that.
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

All right, i need to rebuild the engine. I think a head gasket is blown, and it probably just needs to be done as its 50 years old. Any advice for rebuilding a fuel injected engine or any type 3 engine in general?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
All right, i need to rebuild the engine. I think a head gasket is blown, and it probably just needs to be done as its 50 years old. Any advice for rebuilding a fuel injected engine or any type 3 engine in general?

These engines don't use a head gasket. If anything, the head studs might be trying to pull out of the case (block).

As for rebuilding, they are very similar to a beetle engine (with their own differences).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Oh, Embarassed this is my first vw so bear with me. Thanks for the advice though. While preparing to drop the engine, I noticed that the firewall where the fuel lines come in at the back of the car is like fiberglass or wood or something. Should I chuck it and get a real metal one or keep it?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Drop the engine on your new motorcycle jack etc.
Ship it to Strictly Foreign in Oregon https://strictlyforeign.com/ etc for a rebuild.
You don't tell us in your Signature where you live!
Tell them to paint your engine gray & black like original colors.
I think I have a used Type 3 metal firewall.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:

sloowww down. What makes you think the engine even needs a rebuild?

Have you done a Compression test?

a Leakdown test?

Have you looked at the timing and ignition settings?

Before you thought it "blew a headgasket" when these engines don't even use headgaskets. Lets back up a second and go through your logic of why you think it needs rebuilt.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

I’m in the Boise area in Idaho. Maybe rebuilt might be a strong word. At least I wanted to drop it and check the cylinder heads. Probably not a full rebuild but as it’s all from the 70’s, I just want to see where it’s at.
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

And if it doesnt need to be completely rebuilt, than i would like to at least just clean up the engine and paint some parts.
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
I’m in the Boise area in Idaho. Maybe rebuilt might be a strong word. At least I wanted to drop it and check the cylinder heads. Probably not a full rebuild but as it’s all from the 70’s, I just want to see where it’s at.

You can get a fairly good idea of that with a compression and leak down test. It will at least tell you how healthy the rings and valves/seats are. If you pull the valve covers off and perform a valve adjustment, you would certainly catch anything in the valve train/pushrod assembly that could be off/worn. Pulling and torquing the heads isn't a bad idea per se, it just introduces some new risks (like pulling a head stud) that may then necessitate a complete tear down, but if you're going that direction any way or want to for the hell of it I completely get it, BTDT.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: