Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
1971 viv wrote:
I’m in the Boise area in Idaho. Maybe rebuilt might be a strong word. At least I wanted to drop it and check the cylinder heads. Probably not a full rebuild but as it’s all from the 70’s, I just want to see where it’s at.

You can get a fairly good idea of that with a compression and leak down test. It will at least tell you how healthy the rings and valves/seats are. If you pull the valve covers off and perform a valve adjustment, you would certainly catch anything in the valve train/pushrod assembly that could be off/worn. Pulling and torquing the heads isn't a bad idea per se, it just introduces some new risks (like pulling a head stud) that may then necessitate a complete tear down, but if you're going that direction any way or want to for the hell of it I completely get it, BTDT.

Agreed. I wouldn't open it up unless I had to. Some of those old German parts will be better than anything you can get today.
I've had an engine pull a couple of head studs, but then it had been over heated at least once before I got it. When I put a new engine in my 65 Notch, I went with an all aluminum case, and 8mm head studs. Going to that case brings it's own issues (extra weight, and heat, but better metal).
I've had 1 case that was rebuilt before, that when I rebuilt it, I pulled 4 head studs just trying to tighten up a head. Needless to say, it got completely torn down and had case savers installed, just so I could use it. The engine in my old 71 Notch I rebuilt completely. The case went to RIMCO (case savers, decked, and align bored), it got a new counter weighted crank, along with new bearings, recon rods, good used cam and a new 26mm oil pump. That engine ran very smooth. I had about 700 in parts in it, plus 3 days of assembly time. I've also rebuilt a few engines before, so I knew what needed to be done, and had some tools for rebuilding.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

That is super helpful. Thanks to both of you. I will first do a compression and leakdown test like you said.
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

If the engine is absolutely pouring oil where it is mated to the transmission, that warrants a rebuild, right? is there a seal that I could replace? The compression test was fine but not great. I think that the piston rings are wearing out.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
If the engine is absolutely pouring oil where it is mated to the transmission, that warrants a rebuild, right? is there a seal that I could replace? The compression test was fine but not great. I think that the piston rings are wearing out.

Yes, there is a seal back there between the case and the flywheel/flexplate.

That however doesn't warrant a rebuild. It does require that the engine be removed, so the seal can be replaced though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
1971 viv wrote:

Yes, there is a seal back there between the case and the flywheel/flexplate.

That however doesn't warrant a rebuild. It does require that the engine be removed, so the seal can be replaced though.

leaking rear main seals are basically a requirement of any aircooled VW that has sat for a while Laughing

doesn't require a rebuild thankfully as Bob said, just a removal of the flywheel and clutch assy. Basically, like Bob said as well, if it were me I would perform a few of the tests we've mentioned to get a better idea of how much actual life is left in the engine. If the tests come back good, you can probably just buy a bunch of cheap seals and gaskets, get her oil tight again, and throw some fresh dino juice in her and go.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Any ideas for removing seized engine tin screws?
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:

Add some heat, then use this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-impact-screwdr...crewdriver

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
1971 viv wrote:

Add some heat, then use this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-impact-screwdr...crewdriver

Or vice grips on the screw heads. On some of them you just have to get mid-evil on them. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

From my thread on getting mid-evil, my engine also looked like it spent a few months in the ocean and was very rusty Laughing
Ceckert64 wrote:
I figured out how to get out sheet metal screws that are stripped/seized Very Happy
First: weld together two heavier duty rods/ bolts, one being about the size of the screws.
Second: weld the t-handle to the screw
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let it cool the start unscrewing it

Then take it out

Cut off the screw and clean up the end and repeat

It worked great, I took out almost all of them that way and only one broke, here is the carnage

]

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:

If you have an air chisel/rivet gun, use this:
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-screw-buster.htm...l8QAvD_BwE

They're used frequently in aviation, when it's critical to remove a fastener without damaging anything. They work amazingly well. Just a little patience and penetrant.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. i might just have to grind them down if these ideas dont work
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I got them off. I need to remove the flywheel nut. I’ve seen that you can use an impact wrench to get it off, but do you need a torque multiplier to get it torqued on? I don’t want to buy it if I don’t have to. They seem to be pretty pricey. And I’m assuming that there is no way to get at the seal without taking it off.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

You don’t need a torque multiplier, if you have a torque wrench that goes up to 100ft/lb of torque you are fine. Just need to hold it so it doesn’t spin, put it in gear, flywheel lock etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Quote:
You don’t need a torque multiplier, if you have a torque wrench that goes up to 100ft/lb of torque you are fine. Just need to hold it so it doesn’t spin, put it in gear, flywheel lock etc

stock flywheel nut is 235ft/lbs torque setting

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I got them off. I need to remove the flywheel nut. I’ve seen that you can use an impact wrench to get it off, but do you need a torque multiplier to get it torqued on? I don’t want to buy it if I don’t have to. They seem to be pretty pricey. And I’m assuming that there is no way to get at the seal without taking it off.

impact wrench is okay if you are tearing the engine apart to rebuild, I would never use it on a good running engine

I hummed and hawed over buying a torque tool for many years, I used a long pipe to torque nuts before, but after I bought the tool, it was much easier and it's been used for many different VW's

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

stock flywheel nut is 235ft/lbs torque setting

Oh, I was thinking of the fan wheel, oops Embarassed
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:

I bought one years ago, and I'll never know how I got away without it before. It might seem like a lot of money (especially with the extra bits version), but it really pays for itself once you use it a couple of times (for axle nuts, flywheel gland nut, and other high torqued nuts). I also never travel without it, that's how much I like it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

I had to return a $50 1/2" impact wrench from Home Depot and trade up to the $100 Earthquake 1/2" impact wrench.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

Yeah I suppose I probably should buy one. I do need to do wheel bearings and brakes so I should invest in one.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
Yeah I suppose I probably should buy one. I do need to do wheel bearings and brakes so I should invest in one.

Yup, sometimes the axle nuts can be harder to remove than the gland nut.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback Reply with quote

I meant to say Harbor Freight yesterday rather than Home Depot! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: