Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lithium Start Battery?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

My Optima battery barely holds a charge. It looks like it is time for a new battery.
I would prefer to go as small as possible because the existing battery is in a crowded box under the bus.

What does the group think about this as a replacement?

Thanks

Size: 6.89" x 3.4" x 5.12" (LxWxH)
900 Cranking Amps
30 Amp Hours (PbEq), 15Ah (Actual)
5.18 lbs

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx20-hd/
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

I can't speak to the specs except that I've heard using this type of battery is not good in cold weather. I don't understand it exactly - but I think the re-charging of the battery in certain temps can damage the battery. I'm not sure where you live, or will be driving....

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

Lithium batteries with a BMS (battery management system) will not allow the battery to be charged below 32F. You can discharge the battery (use it) at any temperature, just not charge it. The BMS will not allow a charge into the battery if you decide to drive at temps less than 32F. That said, if your start battery is under the drivers seat and your heater is working, the temp inside the van won't be 32F for long but that still means that a lithium battery will be discharging without recharging until you reach 32F.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

The Napa Optima Red Top Battery would be a better choice and a lot cheaper except it's a 6 volt! maybe get two!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

Lithium starter batteries don't come up often here. I'm guessing that's because the Vanagon has good locations for Group 41 or T-5 size batteries. Lithium batteries come up often in motorcycle forums due to their small size. Would a picture of your "box under the bus" be interesting and show folks the space you're working with? I'm assuming it's not the box under the passenger seat because a T-5 lead-acid battery fits there and frees up considerable space.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

I looked at a T5 battery at walmart the other day, it said 575 CCA on it Confused
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

This is the space. If I could swap to Lithium for both the start and house, I could shed 100 lbs, improve battery performance, and achieve more "hidden" storage.

[/img]
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

Nice box you put in there...is there a thread on it's installation?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Nice box you put in there...is there a thread on it's installation?

Kevin,
After a quick search through my profile, I couldn't find a new topic of this install.
I must have posted within another topic (or two).
This wasn't original. Though I did make some tweaks to what others did.
My version drops through the top. So upon any impact, it should come up through the floor instead of getting crushed. Who knows though.
Another difference is that this box extends under the backseat. So it is continuous storage for bigger stuff and simplifies wire runs.

It is pretty cool.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Start Battery? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I looked at a T5 battery at walmart the other day, it said 575 CCA on it Confused

They offer Everstart Value, Plus and Maxx battery lines. The Everstart Maxx still shows 650 CCA on their website but who knows what's what.

Pretty cool.

Your post is in this thread...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8467782#8467782

Good luck with the battery.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: