Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring harness in engine bay
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend and the holiday; I am about to send my Noitch off to paint..and when installing the main wiring harness I noticed two
grommets replaced all) on the drivers side lower fender well cavity.Seems to make sense that the larger portion of the harness fits the larger opening and the smaller so forth... I cannot see how the long whip that bis he passenger side tailight gets over there? I cannot find an opening from the cavity between the motor bay and the inner fender..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

Anyone care to share a pic to help out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

What year is your notch? I'm not sure if there are differences between different years on that detail...I wouldn't be surprised if there are. I have a 70 & 72 Fastback and would be happy to share a photo of the wiring routing from those cars when I head over to my shop in a bit.

Jon
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

It's a 67 and thank you I'm beginning to think perhaps both wires should go through the big grommet but then what is the other grommet above it therefore I'll try and send some pics
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

Got it. I will see how my two cars compare. They may have the same routing.

Jon
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

Ok, my gut says that you need some photos from someone with a notch of the same or similar year. Below are two photos showing the passenger side tail light harness exiting through the engine bay side wall just in front of the engine hanger bracket on my 1972 Fastback that I have with me. I will check my 1970 when I go to my shop but I have a feeling it will be the same and probably not match the setup on your car.

1st shot - wiring harness is visible under the hoses going into the side of the air cleaner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2nd shot - wiring harness exiting the engine bay through a rubber grommet (engine hanger mount visible on right side of image).

Jon
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

On my 63, the only wires that enter the engine bay are the ones for the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

Thanks everybody I'm going post a pic of the 2 grommets on the inner Fender and I guess I need to just really keep looking for where that long whip would go to I know it clips all up-and-over the front of the motor area on the fire wall and then heads out to the passenger side and drops off another wire here there I think one of them is the signal wire to the starter let me post some pics I'm going up to the shop now thank you for your help
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

Here's how the passenger tail lights get their feed on my 66 SB, I took the engine out so you could see it better. Wink

FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness in engine bay Reply with quote

I just checked my 70 Fastback...it is the same as the pictures of the 72 above. Hopefully someone with a notch can chime in in case it is different.

Jon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: