Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old coils, worth saving?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

Going through my spare parts and I have these. Is there a way to bench test them to see if they’re good or not?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

It's not an absolute on whether or not there good because really you need to check them at high voltage too but just check the. ohm readings Primary is about 1.5 to 3 ohms typically unless it's a low ohm aftermarket coil then they can be about 1 ohm and as far as the secondary goes (it's the Hi Voltage) it should be at or below 10K ohms to either of the primary's as read on the ohm meter.
Best test would be to put them one at a time on a car and drive it.
Probably scrap them if the oil has leaked out. It's the really bad stuff too! Don't want it in the environment or on your skin either. Technically because of the liquid transformer oil in them they are hazardous waist.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

Easy to test. Need a few things:

- a good 12 volt battery (car preferred; lawn tractor / generator OK. You can use your bus battery with a pair of jumper cables to remote the terminals over to your bench. Clip them to a piece of mop/broom handle so that they can't get loose and short to each other.)
- a vw condenser
- a secondary wire (distributor center wire)
- some clip leads
- an old coarse file

Connect the battery "+" terminal to coil terminal #15.

Connect the secondary wire to the coil centerpost. Clamp the other end so that it's about 3/8" away from the #15 coil terminal.

Connect the condenser lead to the coil terminal #1. Connect the condenser case to the battery "-" terminal.

Connect a clip lead between the file and the coil #1 terminal.

Connect one end of another clip lead to the battery "-" terminal. Drag the other end of the clip lead down the file teeth. You should get a shower of sparks between the secondary wire and coil terminal #15.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

That's pretty cool! I like it!
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Easy to test. Need a few things:

- a good 12 volt battery (car preferred; lawn tractor / generator OK. You can use your bus battery with a pair of jumper cables to remote the terminals over to your bench. Clip them to a piece of mop/broom handle so that they can't get loose and short to each other.)
- a vw condenser
- a secondary wire (distributor center wire)
- some clip leads
- an old coarse file

Connect the battery "+" terminal to coil terminal #15.

Connect the secondary wire to the coil centerpost. Clamp the other end so that it's about 3/8" away from the #15 coil terminal.

Connect the condenser lead to the coil terminal #1. Connect the condenser case to the battery "-" terminal.

Connect a clip lead between the file and the coil #1 terminal.

Connect one end of another clip lead to the battery "-" terminal. Drag the other end of the clip lead down the file teeth. You should get a shower of sparks between the secondary wire and coil terminal #15.

Very Cool! Thank you!!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

you can also turn the coil upside down and see if there is a VW part number on them. List the part numbers and we may be able to tell what they are for. Some may be 6V, some 12V and some for 12V FI systems.
Ted Williams has always been my hero since the very first time my dad took me down to their dugout after a game. They flew together in WWII. Ted liked to fish. Maybe as I get older it's time to do some fishing too. Smile Have a great day with your bus!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

Probably scrap them if the oil has leaked out. It's the really bad stuff too! Don't want it in the environment or on your skin either. Technically because of the liquid transformer oil in them they are hazardous waist.

Typically transformer oil is considered to be a carcinogen. I'd keep any VW stamped coils. They will be useful on a restoration.
Not all parts are made the same. We are a supplier of NOS OEM parts made mainly in West Germany, Early Germany, and Early Brazil. These locations are where VW early on produced the best quality parts and best fitting products.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Aluminum and Cast Iron Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Old coils, worth saving? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Danwvw wrote:

Probably scrap them if the oil has leaked out. It's the really bad stuff too! Don't want it in the environment or on your skin either. Technically because of the liquid transformer oil in them they are hazardous waste.

Typically transformer oil is considered to be a carcinogen. I'd keep any VW stamped coils. They will be useful on a restoration.

PCB is the culprit in the oil. PCB was banned in 1979. That is the year VW changed the top on coils in buses. Had a client in San Diego where an electrical transformer leaked on a power pole in his front yard. EPA and SDGE came in, moved everybody out of about 10 homes nearby, then scraped & replaced the top 1' of soil off most of the homes' front yards.
Ted Williams has always been my hero since the very first time my dad took me down to their dugout after a game. They flew together in WWII. Ted liked to fish. Maybe as I get older it's time to do some fishing too. Smile Have a great day with your bus!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: