Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbake18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire Reply with quote

A few years ago I bought a 71 super beetle with a wunderbug front and domas flatbed rear. I was eager to get it on the road, but was in a little over my head at the time. It had stripped spark plug threads, so I pulled the engine and brought it to an aircooled mechanic 2 hours away. He fixed the threads and went through the 1600, making sure it was tuned and ready to go. I put the motor back in and it seemed to run well, but never really got to drive it. Life got in the way, and the car has sat for 2-3 years since. I finally have the chance to work on it again, but am not sure where to begin, as this is way different than anything I am used to. I drained the gas and put fresh gas in, now it starts but has a backfire. When cold, it idles fine, revs up okay with a slight backfire, but when warm it backfires pretty bad and struggles to idle. What could cause this after sitting? I tried adjusting the screws on the carb, at best it backfires, at worst it struggles to run at all. The motor appears to be mostly stock, aftermarket pulley, valve covers, header, etc. I am leery of adjusting too much more of what was set by somebody more knowledgeable than me, so am looking for advice on what to do next.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire Reply with quote

Back firing through the carb?
Or out the exhaust?
Rob & Daves pages are full easy to understand fixes.
http://www.vw-resource.com/backfiring.html

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jbake18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. It backfires through the exhuast. My engine sounds similar to the example in the article. Where I get a little confused though is how he suggests fixing it. It sounds like I am probably running a little lean? I have tried adjusting the screws on the carb to no avail. He goes into rejetting the carb, but I think the engine ran well ~2.5 years ago with the jets in it, so I'm not sure how that could be my problem.

Is it possible that these jets are slightly clogged from sitting? Something else I was wondering, is that it has been running on an open header, with no muffler. I also haven't ran it much with the air cleaner on since it's kinda dirty. Could these be enough together to cause it to lean out?

I also read through the article about air leaking into the intake manifold. How likely is it that a leak would develop from sitting/where would it likely be? I'm hoping to check this too in the next few days.
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire Reply with quote

jbake18 wrote:
Something else I was wondering, is that it has been running on an open header, with no muffler.

Do you mean that there isn't anything between the exhaust ports and the outside world? No J tubes or anything?

jbake18 wrote:
I also haven't ran it much with the air cleaner on since it's kinda dirty.

Do you mean that whatever is in the air is getting sucked into the carb while it's running?

You're not driving it in this condition, right? Just test-running it?
jbake18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire Reply with quote

It has j tubes on it. Basically complete exhaust minus the muffler. Just been test running it right now definitely not driving it, not much in the air around here and the carb gets covered back up when not running
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie, 1971 super beetle with a backfire Reply with quote

jbake18 wrote:
Something else I was wondering, is that it has been running on an open header, with no muffler.

Should have mentioned this from the get go. It's almost a guarantee you'll get some backfiring when running without a muffler -- the "lean" condition that causes exhaust backfiring in this case is due to plenty of oxygen-rich ambient air being available right at the exit of the hot open header, where any unburnt fuel in the exhaust can easily ignite.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: