Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New cup holder
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: New cup holder Reply with quote

Not having a cup holder is a pain. Coffee rolls around the seat and onto the floor when you need to stop fast. Every single time the wife gets out the passenger side her travel cup rolls out on the ground behind her. Need sealed mugs...

I was going to buy a cup holder but never found one that I liked enough so decided to try building one with 1/8" steel rod. Came up with a design that keeps the holder high and out of the way. Can cover radio or fit beside it. Fits mugs with Handels and all the travel mugs we have.

First thing was make a jig for bending the rod consistently. Used 3/16" rod as a pivot to get the bends I wanted. After some practice I marked the angles and bend start point on jig.

Printed the views out full scale and used them to bend the rods correctly. Actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Welding with the mig was a little messy. Spot welder may work better, or a tig. This was a test but going to go with it for now. When I eventually get a tig I will make another and use an assembly jig.

For now I just gave it a coat of gloss black. I may get it powder coated or wait until I build a better one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/l3kdqnpux4lek83/CupHolder.pdf
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://a360.co/2GrqSb1

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

Love that! The bending fixture is pretty slick. I may have to copy that to make a rack for my icebox.

You’re probably gonna want to Plasti-Dip or shrink tube the portions that contact that really nice paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Love that! The bending fixture is pretty slick. I may have to copy that to make a rack for my icebox.

You’re probably gonna want to Plasti-Dip or shrink tube the portions that contact that really nice paint.

Thanks. Yes I will use heat shrink once the second coat of paint is on. I was going to find some clear tubing but there is not much space. I could get clear heat shrink but with black paint it doesn't matter.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

Nice! Much better design than the one I have.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

Thanks. Yes I will use heat shrink once the second coat of paint is on. I was going to find some clear tubing but there is not much space. I could get clear heat shrink but with black paint it doesn't matter.

You could always pimp it out with some blue shrink as an accent. Smile
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

You could always pimp it out with some blue shrink as an accent. Smile

right, custom dove blue heat shrink! it would match the coffee cup! I love this!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/l3kdqnpux4lek83/CupHolder.pdf

https://a360.co/2GrqSb1

And you just super-stealth dropped in the full sized drawing AND the Fusion model...

Kudos, sir.
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

very cool design. I like how the cup handle is accessible from outside the basket. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

Paint and heat shrink on. Paint came out cloudy for some reason. Good enough for this season.

Only had a bit of heat shrink so could have have used little more on the upper rods. Heat shrink fits snug in the dash slots so keeps it nicely in place.

Thinking ivory powder coat may look nicer in a bus than gloss black. When I make a good one I may do two, black and ivory.

Hitting the road Friday and looking forward to having a cup holder on this trip. Smile

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: New cup holder Reply with quote

I love the slot for the handle! Cool

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: