Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Front CV bolt question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Syncro Front CV bolt question Reply with quote

I'm attempting to swap out a front axle on an '89 Syncro. Upon examination of the inner CV joint I found what I thought were going to be 8mm 12 point bolts but they appear to be another size (see photo). A 6mm 12 point bit seems to be too small to fit and an 8mm bit too large. What am I missing? Is the bolt head stripped? Or is this another configuration all together, Allen, Torx, or something else? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

Looks like Allen head to me. Try your SAE set too, just find an Allen key that fits snug. Then measure the bolt, hopefully all the bolts match and someone didn't cross thread something in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

You are missing a 7 mm hex bit.
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

Thanks. I found a few other threads mentioning 6mm Allen bolts used for CV joints. Live and learn.
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

Before you do anything, take a pick and clean out the inside of the allen head, then flush out with brake clean. Then tap in your allen head wrench with a hammer to make sure it is fully seated otherwise it will round off and a new set of "sunday school" words will follow.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

There should be spacers between the cv and the flange. The bolts are longer than conventional cv bolts. I was missing one spacer.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

The bolts used as CV bolts are DIN standard in size but with an allen head, the multispline/XZN/triple-square driven ones are the special automotive ones.
PO (or mechanic) changed the bolts to the DIN ones. (and forgot the toothed washers)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

blyhigh wrote:
A 6mm 12 point bit seems to be too small to fit and an 8mm bit too large.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

6mm 12 point bit? You meant top write "6mm hex bit", right?
(we call the 12-point CV bolt bits 'triple-square' or XZN).
My Syncro had Allen bolts (hex) in the front CVs.

That bolt needed a 6mm allen bit (when new) but looks a lttle 'loose' currently.

Note: a 1/4" allen is 6.35mm.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
The bolts used as CV bolts are DIN standard in size but with an allen head, the multispline/XZN/triple-square driven ones are the special automotive ones.
PO (or mechanic) changed the bolts to the DIN ones. (and forgot the toothed washers)

The vans came equipped from factory with the allen bolts, then replacement parts came with XZN bolts.
The thing is the front inner cv bolts need to be a bit longer than the rear bc of the cv spacer, but most vendors, at least in the US sell the correct length bolt for this application as an allen bolt, like factory, so it`s often (if not always0 still an allen bolt on the front inner. When I see a XZN bolt there in the US, it`s always too short bc they used the rear cv bolts Evil or Very Mad
The washer type name I think is Schnorr Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

So I’ve got a few of these bolts that are not coming out. They appear to be rounded out and not gripping a 6mm hex. I tried banging in a 1/4” and it’s not budging. I’ve PB Blasted also.

Can’t get vice grips to grab em. Any ideas?

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

Try hammering a good 12mm 12 point socket onto the outer rim of the CV bolt.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

designer wrote:
...Can’t get vice grips to grab em. Any ideas?

I've had luck with teh nose of the vice grips along with the best fitting allen. the combination of those turning forces was the ticket.

If vice grips keep slipping, file/dremmet parallel flat sides.

...have any of the bolts come off?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

410 Channelocks if you can get them in there.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

All good solutions gentlemen. Will give er a go

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Brilliant. Sacrificed 4 sockets but a good price to pay. Thank you for the insight.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

designer wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Brilliant. Sacrificed 4 sockets but a good price to pay. Thank you for the insight.

Woo hoo. Glad you got it done. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

Another good solution I often also use on hatch bolts, is pounding in the XZN tool in the allen head, works like a charm, and the pounding actually shocks the bolt.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

The vans came equipped from factory with the allen bolts, then replacement parts came with XZN bolts.
The thing is the front inner cv bolts need to be a bit longer than the rear bc of the cv spacer, but most vendors, at least in the US sell the correct length bolt for this application as an allen bolt, like factory, so it`s often (if not always0 still an allen bolt on the front inner. When I see a XZN bolt there in the US, it`s always too short bc they used the rear cv bolts Evil or Very Mad
The washer type name I think is Schnorr Wink

Is the front inner CV joint is thicker? Or why VW used standard M8x50 allen bolts instead of the rear M8x48 XZN?
I can see that the front CV is Vanagon Syncro specific while the rears were already used on the bay windows
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Another good solution I often also use on hatch bolts, is pounding in the XZN tool in the allen head, works like a charm, and the pounding actually shocks the bolt.

Ive had good luck doing the same with appropriately sized torx bits, as they fit just into the corners of the allens

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: CV bolt question Reply with quote

About 20-30 seconds of propane heat would have saved you all those sockets and time
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: