Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 21 window metal replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A complete windshield frame from WW. I think it is the BBT stuff....it fit perfectly! I cant believe how everything lines up so well. I have a little issue with the overhang in a couple of spots on the front lower window, i will have a kid push on it while i plug weld.

Driver door area was rotten also. I bought a new Harbor Freight 240volt spot welder and it rocks!
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

I was sitting in the driver area working on the windshield frame and i fell through the floor. So, i redirected my efforts and knocked out the driver seat pedestal. It fit really well, used plug welds mostly and a couple of spot welds. I could have done a better job with the seam fold near the front floor, it is a little bumpy. I will try to work it out with a hammer

I have installed safari windows in a couple of buses. I found dealer installation instructions on Type2.com or Samba that show the guy (in a suit) hammering a hole in the windshield frame to inserr the threaded plate for safaris. Ive done that twice....and i hate punching that hole. Now that i have done the inner window frames on this bus and realize how easy it is, this is the way to put the threaded plates in.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Crossing off some items on the punch list. Driver side inner rocker
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Driver inner rocker and. Bottom of the B pillar
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Passenger side inner rocker. What a pain in the ass to to grind out this metal due to the belly pans. I thought i was going to have the divider wall in today, but i struggled with this damn inner rocker all freaking day long. It’s in, mocked up, ready to rock. I think i need to replace the center front cross brace but WW is sold out, so maybe i will patch.....save myself some work. I built a rotisserie for my 23 window to keep from having to roll around on the ground like I’m having to do with this bus. Oh well. Feeble old man, I’m 46 but sitting on the concrete i feel like 76.
RambosRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Nice work!

What vendor did you decide to go with for replacement rocker on cargo side?
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

RambosRide wrote:
Nice work!

What vendor did you decide to go with for replacement rocker on cargo side?

Klassic Fab. I used one for my 59 it went together well. I had one of the cheapo rust primer colored ones but decided not to use it. KF is worth the money.
bigmau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Do the very bottoms of long side pillars (and pillars in general) not attach to the inner rocker? So the floor and outer rocker lock it in place?

Awesome work. I am in the middle of frame demo and planning the rebuild, so your pictures of b-pillar and lower bulkhead during mock up and finished after weld are super helpful.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

bigmau wrote:
Do the very bottoms of long side pillars (and pillars in general) not attach to the inner rocker? So the floor and outer rocker lock it in place?

Awesome work. I am in the middle of frame demo and planning the rebuild, so your pictures of b-pillar and lower bulkhead during mock up and finished after weld are super helpful.

Thanks for the kind words, but you really need to check out this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672869
I learned all this from reading Burlyhammer’s thread.......all 85 pages of it. From what i understand, C and D pillars do not contact top or bottom of inner rocker but they do weld to the outer rocker or long wall. The B pillar does contact the bottom of the inner rocker and then spot welds all in a stack right behind the front tires: outercrossbrace member, inner rocker, dogleg closeout panel. Ill try to take a better pic when i spot them in place.

I switched to the cargo door side because i want to replace the front “tophat” before I finish weld the B pillars. Then, i will install driver long wall lower rocker patch panel and cargo door patch panel before replacing the divider wall. I don’t want anything to move when i cut it free. I’m already nervous about the passenger lower B pillar, it was just too rotten in that area.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Great pictures! How is the HF spot welder working out? I was thinking about getting one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

I had the 120 volt at first and it was OK, but started to fight me on the skylight window spot welds on my bus, so for this project i bought the 240volt it is really good. It even came with extra tips.

The only thing is that it is awkward to use because it is so freaking heavy. If you can, rig it to a rope hanging from the overhead of your garage to take some of the weight off.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Looking really good so far!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Before:

After:

headliner progress

John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 21 window metal replacement Reply with quote

Looking good Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: