Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Hi all. I picked up 58' that I'm looking forward to getting back on the road. It came with a few boxes of parts. Most of which really show their age. I know lowlights have some year specific parts and others can interchange with later cars. My intent with this car is to get it back on the road and even though it would be great to have all 58' Ghia parts on it that is not my priority. So bare with me as I try to figure this out. First Gauges. Besides date stamp on back and shift markings on the speedo, are there differences up to 66'? The car came with no gauges. Second, headlights. It came with 2 sets of headlights. I was told they were from the 58' and a 59'. Anyone have an exploded drawing of how they go together and should they have lenses or just the sealed beam? I'll stop there and get these sorted out first before adding more questions. Thanks in advance for any help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Here’s a lowlight parts book with some exploded diagrams.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1957_...s_List.pdf
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

The two large gauges (speedometer and clock) maintained the same size thru '66. The speedo is also the same size as a Beetle speedometer. Ghia 36 hp speedo's went to 90 mph even though Beetles only went to 80. Reason is that the Ghia could reach a higher speed due to its better aerodynamics. Beetles received the 90 mph speedo with the '61 model year with the 40 hp engine.

Since you are mainly interested in getting the Ghia roadworthy and functional instead of restoration-correct "for now", any Ghia (or Beetle) speedometer from '55 thru '66 will work, since the connection for the input cable is the same. The bulb connectors will be different, since thru '60 they had screw connections and as of '61 they were push-on spade connectors.

Beetle speedometers kept the same size thru '77 in the standard Sedan. Font styles, sizes, and background color/design changed in the next 10 years starting with the '67, and in '68 the fuel gauge was incorporated in the upper center. As of ~ '72 the speedo went to 100 mph and had a black background. If you can get a freebie speedometer from a later Beetle, once again the speedometer will work reasonably accurately because the tire diameter remained mostly the same. You don't need to connect the Beetle's fuel gauge in the speedo because your Ghia still should have the reserve tap.

Clock: If you are only concerned to close the hole in the dash, then you can buy a clock that is not necessarily operational which should be much cheaper than a working clock. Ghia clock size was significantly reduced as of '67 which is why you need to look for one thru '66.

In what state are you located?
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So it looks like the US spec headlights do not have a lens. Just the sealed beam. That's one part I won't have to hunt down. I figured as much about the spedo and clock. I have a 57' spedo from a beetle. I'll clean it up and see if it works. Unfortunately the mounting tabs are missing. Next front turn signals. My car came with these bulb holders. They have one connector. Should they have two? a running light and a turn signal? Attached photo
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Rich, if you are interested in a set of correct gauges let me know. As for the clock ISP makes a nice reproduction tachometer that would fill the clock hole and they are reasonably priced (though this depends on what motor you plan on running and if a tach would be useful).

You should be able to make the front turn signal bulb holders work, but US spec Ghias had Ghia only bulb holders with two terminals each, one for running lights and the other for blinkers. They are hard to find in useable condition and I don't know that there are reproductions available. The covers are chrome and are another Ghia only item (they are the same as bus and beetle covers, just chromed and the drain hole is just in a different location).

Unless you already have parts laying around, I would suggest finding as many correct parts for your Ghia as you can. They can be expensive, but using the correct parts will pay you back many fold if you ever decide to sell it. There are also a lot of really good reproduction parts available for less than the cost of OG parts. Patience also pays. If you have time to search e-bay, the Samba etc. you can often find some great deals on the parts you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Thanks Loran. Yes I will try to find the correct parts first but will substitute if I have to. In a different thread you gave me some info on the front beam/suspension. it looks like my car has a later one. It has the mount for a steering dampner and not the curved pitman arm. Might even be from a beetle. My question is how will this affect the steering? Turning radius?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

I am not sure how the later beam will effect the steering. It should work fine as long as all the parts clear the body/frame. The beam is the same as the beetle one, the differences are in the drop arm, tie rods and for 58-59 Ghias the sway bar. You might want to check the drop arm as this might effect the angle of the steering shaft? or it might change the gap between the steering tube and steering wheel? (not sure though, since I have never had to deal with swapping in a later beam). The Ghia drop arm has a slight bend in it while the beetle version is straight. There is a post with images of the differences. If you haven't seen it let me know and I will try to find it and post a link.

Great looking Ghia! It will be nice to see it going back together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Yes I have the links. Thanks. I guess I'll find out it drives when I drive it. Ha! The car needs the usual rocker/lower fender repairs but it's not as ratty as it looks in the photo. You asked where I'm located. I'm in Utah.
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

okay. Next question on this fact finding mission. On the 58' there is a high beam button on the front firewall as usual and one on the turn signal switch? Or is the one on the turn switch just used to flip the high beams (get out of my way you slow poke!!!) not actually turn them on and off?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
okay. Next question on this fact finding mission. On the 58' there is a high beam button on the front firewall as usual and one on the turn signal switch? Or is the one on the turn switch just used to flip the high beams (get out of my way you slow poke!!!) not actually turn them on and off?

Yep the one on the turn signal switch is just a high beam flasher.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Thats what I thought. Moving to sheet metal. I know the rear of the front wheel arch is different on lowlights but what about the rear wheel arch? Were they changed on 60'+ cars? How about the bottoms of the rear fenders?
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
Thats what I thought. Moving to sheet metal. I know the rear of the front wheel arch is different on lowlights but what about the rear wheel arch? Were they changed on 60'+ cars? How about the bottoms of the rear fenders?

Rear wheel opening is the same from 56 to 66. Rear bumper too.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
rich caramadre wrote:

Can you imagine how underpowered/slow some of the other cars on the road back then must have been if VW decided it would be a good idea to include a "flash to pass" feature on the headlights of a 36 hp Karmann Ghia? Smile
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Yes. The were some slow cars in Europe at the time. Example the Citroën 2CV. Check out these specs
375 cc H2 air-cooled 9 hp (7 kW).
425 cc H2 air-cooled 12 hp (9 kW).
435 cc H2 air-cooled 24 hp (18 kW).
602 cc H2 air-cooled 29 hp
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
rich caramadre wrote:

Can you imagine how underpowered/slow some of the other cars on the road back then must have been if VW decided it would be a good idea to include a "flash to pass" feature on the headlights of a 36 hp Karmann Ghia? Smile

The correct turn signal switch does not have a button. It has a square stock and you pull it toward the steering wheel to flash. The flash to pass function was disabled by the dealer on cars imported to the US. The dealer removed the relay and left the brown ground wire hanging. I think it was mandated for the Autobahn. I use mine as a saftey device and flash on coming cars that I think will turn left in front of me all the time.

Here is a link to how it all works... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8697879

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
I use mine as a safety device and flash on coming cars that I think will turn left in front of me all the time.

If you did that in Europe you'd very quickly find yourself in trouble. Here it's a signal for the car in front of you to go first, not to signal your presence. Sad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

KGCoupe, Thanks for the link. Great tutorial. I saved it in my 58' Ghia folder for future reference.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
KGCoupe, Thanks for the link. Great tutorial. I saved it in my 58' Ghia folder for future reference.
I'd love to take the credit for actually posting something of real use, but I believe that it's VeloMikey's link that you are referring to. Smile
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Headliner. What is the correct material for a 58'? My car has perforated vinyl. Should it be a cloth like the beetles of that era?
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Perforated vinyl is the correct material. And not just "any" perforated if you are picky:-) I myself havenīt found the exact material yet (the hole pattern is different to the material that you can buy nowadays. Have contacted http://smsautofabrics.com and asked if they can help. They say they can.
They seem to have a lot to do though but Iīm still hoping. Pics are from an original 1958 headliner.
See the difference? Might look like a small thing but the "new" materials that are available are not 100%....but thats maybe only me Rolling Eyes
Cheers/Jonas

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: