Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crushed.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Crushed. Reply with quote

Drove this afternoon for an overnight trip to Waldo Lake in Western Lane County, Oregon. Winds picked up and a little after midnight large trees dropped on my wife and I in our 65 standard, and on our 17 year old son's 69 sunroof riviera. We're extremely lucky for if we parked a foot differently this might be a different story. However, we are alive, uninjured, and glad being home. Our other adult children were in tents and completely missed by trees. Not sure what to say VW-wise except I miss these buses. It is a very difficult pill to swallow. With luck we'll recover and rejoin the split bus community.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

WOW... glad you're OK.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

holy crap! Sorry about your busses but glad no one was hurt.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

OMG I can't imagine sleeping in the bus and having this happen! Sorry your bus looks flattened.

That said I wouldn't throw the towel in yet. Perhaps it is far too much of a project for you to take on but far worse are being saved- perhaps someone else would be interested?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740643

Not sure what the budget would be like to have that fixed or all the nonsense with insurance claims etc. but thought I would toss it out there- your buses look very dry which is a good start
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Glad you're okay. Hopefully, your buses can be saved!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Thank you, I appreciate your concern. I love this bus and would love to save it. OG paint and factory 12V. All nine seats and a westy bed. I spent this week underneath picking crud off the transmission, and buffing out wheel cylinders replaying the voices in my head of some who say it's just a standard. It had much value to me. I let myself get close to it. Maybe too close. It seems really mangled though. So complicated, I should just be happy we're alive.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Glad y’all are okay.

Now for the vultures in us, what are your plans for them? Razz

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Stunned to see something like this happen, even more incredible that you were inside those Buses when it happened (what are the odds?). Delighted that you got out without a scratch and now have an incredible story to tell. Now let the insurance try to make you whole again, salvage what you can and keep your eyes peeled for your next, more lucky Bus.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Whoa! This hurts to see. Happy to hear your ok physically, I would be an emotional wreck. Hang tough!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Sorry to see this Steve. I am glad everyone is healthy.
rking6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

So sorry for your loss !! Glad everyone is OK !! Count your Blessings.. BBKing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Oh man, that's horrifying!, good to hear everyone is unhurt.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Damn so sorry this happened to you and your family glad you guys are ok.

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Damn, that is crazy, especially since you were sleeping inside.

Glad you weren't hurt but the Bus does look like a goner from here.

Did it totally miss the roof rack?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

At least only the vehicles were damaged.

Don't scrap the vehicles. Someone will fix/buy them.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

glad you and your family are safe, as far as the busses are concerned far worse have been brought back!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

Wow I am really sorry to see those buses crushed, but I would have to agree with the others....the fact that you were in the bus is just amazing that you can live to tell the story. I wonder if you could swap with the top half of your model of choice? Plenty of buses out there with a good top half. Just thinking outloud here. The word "swap" might be a bit loose.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Damn, that is crazy, especially since you were sleeping inside.

Glad you weren't hurt but the Bus does look like a goner from here.

Did it totally miss the roof rack?

Only a few weeks ago our daughter was convinced to get out of Oakland for the pandamnic and live with us in Oregon. This was the first overnight trip our entire family has taken for a long time. Bought a canoe up in Oregon City, and life jackets last week for the trip. The last thing I heard before dozing off was her laughter filling the campground, knowing I would wake early and solo test the canoe on the clear, still waters of the lake. Within two hours my wife woke up terrorized.

I don't think the rack took a direct hit but it seems a little awkwierd last night. Suspecting the caved in roof messed with my optics of what is level. Hoping it will serve on the red bus to get the canoe home.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

WOW, crazy!
Glad you and your family are safe.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crushed. Reply with quote

I'm here in Portland. When the wind picked up, I remember sitting here thinking, "Man, I sure hope nobody is out camping in this." Glad you're okay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: