Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

New random idea: I noticed it was a little oily in the intake around the turbo. I spun the turbo by hand and the bearing felt smooth and tight. Is it possible the turbo is dumping oil in to the engine suddenly and that is causing poor performance?

This probably came to mind because I drove around the driveway a little more and noticed it was still pretty smoky, grey while with a blue tint.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

You’d be surprised how much oil and coolant the exhaust can hold. Get some highway miles on it. Your pump adjustment makes no sense. Might be worth having it tested. Any Bosch diesel service centers near you?
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I took it for a longer test drive and the smoke cleared up in a few miles. It actually drove nice. I like the new clutch. I've missed driving the van.

Maybe I just have a screwy mystery injection pump. I'm looking for a replacement.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

daltonhawk wrote:

Maybe I just have a screwy mystery injection pump. I'm looking for a replacement.

What worked for me was to go on the UK ebay site and look for a used land rover 200/300 TDI injector pump. I then contacted the seller direct to see if they are willing to ship it across the Atlantic. Found someone. You then have to acquire a few other parts such as a bracket, pump sprocket, delivery valves, and probably a couple other things I cam forgetting about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion old_man. I’m planning to source a pump from Karl at Westy Ventures.

This morning I changed the timing from 0.25mm to 0.88mm. I’m beginning to think I have a stone ear for this or something. That’s a big change but I just think I noticed it was a little quieter but harder to start at 0.88mm.

Here’s a video of it running at 0.88mm. Any thoughts on the sound or the smoke? The smoke is more light grey than the dark shadow in the video makes it seem.

https://youtube.com/shorts/k_SZbqoIbjU?feature=share

Last edited by daltonhawk on Sun May 16, 2021 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Your description of the way it runs vs. the timing settings doesn't really make sense to me. Are you sure you are checking the timing correctly?

1. Place engine at TDC.
2. Insert dial indicator with a preload of ~3mm
3. Rotate engine CCW until gauge reading stops descending. Sometimes the indicator will hang up in the adapter, so pushing on the part that protrudes on top (if your indicator is so equipped) can help make sure it remains touching the pump plunger.
4. Zero the dial indicator.
5. Return to TDC and take reading (making sure to take into account any rotations of the small hand).
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I believe I’m doing it correctly as you describe. The gauge does hang up so I have to press on the end of the plunger sometimes. I keep getting consistent readings, including 3mm of total lift which makes me think I’m zeroing the gauge correctly.

It does seem like other people report big changes going from 0.95 to 1.05mm so I don’t understand why I make big changes and get barely perceivable changes.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Im wondering if it could be burning some oil either from the turbo or ccv. I’m not sure how to troubleshoot.

Reading up over on the tdi forum, I see that some people report dumping 1/2 cup of oil out of the intercooler when they do an oil change so I’m thinking about dumping the intercooler to see if anything comes out.

I did do a quick test by removing the hose between the intercooler and the intake and the smoke was unchanged when revving in neutral. I think that actually rules out the intercooler and leakage on the intake side of the turbo. The exhaust side of the turbo could also be leaking although that shouldn’t have any impact on performance, I believe it would just smoke and loose oil.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

daltonhawk wrote:
I

It does seem like other people report big changes going from 0.95 to 1.05mm so I don’t understand why I make big changes and get barely perceivable changes.

I am pretty sure those people were talking about a TD engine not a mTDI. They are different.

Try 1.3, 1.4? I wouldn't worry to much about hard starting after an adjustment as it could residual air in the lines if you are still having to remove a line or two to get your gauge in there.

Did you ever confirm it's not 180 out of time? I'm not sure what pump you have on there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

How can I check to see if it's 180 out of time?
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I see that someone on vwdiesel.net had success confirming 180 out by disconnecting the fuel line from injector 1, turning the engine by hand and watching for when the injection occurs. Maybe I'll try that. The issue they had sounds similar to mine.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

You can confirm the internal timing on the earlier 1.6 (and 1.5) engines by watching the for the little squirt from the delivery valve (I have done so before). Unfortunately it is not so easy on the 1.9 engines that all had 'dual stage injection'. There is a smaller pilot injection that occurs 180° out from the main injection event and I do not think you will be able to tell the difference. I've tried before, and I couldn't.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Not familiar with your setup, but I'm assuming VW did away with the mark on the 1.9 sprocket that you align with the pump for TDC? Looking at 23.7 in the manual for the 1.6 diesel, they show the key at 12 o'clock installing the pump. They don't mention that as a requirement, but you could assume the engineers wanted to be sure that the key would not fall out of position installing the sprocket. So, given a 50/50 chance of getting it correct, I'd look at the key just to see where it is. I could also be wrong.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

If the pump is assembled correctly, then it is relatively easy to ensure that it is timed correctly. The trouble is that the OP has an unknown injection pump running his mTDI. It is possible to install the camplate into the injection pump in two ways. One of them is correct and will result in all the proper timing marks lining up. The other way is 180° out of time. If the builder of the mTDI injection pump got it wrong there is not really any way to know without opening the pump up and confirming that it is assembled correctly. If the camplate is installed the wrong way, then with the keyway in the normal correct position, the pump would be injecting the fuel 180° out of time. It would still be able to run 180° out of time and it is possible that what the op describes as issues would be the result.

Sourcing a pump from Karl is a great way to go.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Well that would suck. I did a quick google search for a Bosch Diesel service centers in Oregon and a few came up. No doubt a pump from Karl would be a good idea, but I'd be inclined to pull the pump and take it to a service center just to have it dyno'd. That way you know for sure if it is the pump.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Karl is recommending DLC1019 nozzles for his pump. He also says I need the bolt plates for mounting the pump. anyone have any or know where to get some?

He’s also wondering why there’s a spacer plate between the injection pump and bracket. Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I think that the plate you need is the plate at the end of the pump by the metal lines.

The extra spacer/plate on your current pump looks like a mystery/hack job. The only reason I can see why someone added that was because they used an AAZ pump but did not have the correct sprocket so the offset was wrong. Instead of getting the correct sprocket, it looks like they spaced the pump away from the bracket.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I got the new pump from Karl put in and it made a huge difference. I set the lift at 1mm at TDC as he recommended and it runs great without any further adjustment. It’s now quieter, has a smoother idle and starts instantly. It always took a little cranking before. I believe the white smoke issues are now resolved as well.

I ordered a set of rebuilt injectors with DLC520 nozzles. Once those are in, I’ll do a little fine tuning.

I do think it would be interested to take the old pump in to have it tested.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is working well. Congrats.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I love a happy ending. Waldo and Karl are the pros from Dover when it comes to all things mTDI.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: