Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

IMO the two most feasible reasons for the cam timing to fail are that either the sprocket slipped on the cam taper or a foreign object got into the timing belt causing the belt to jump time.

Regarding the cam slipping: the cam taper and matching taper in the sprocket should be cleaned with brake parts cleaner before each installation. Failure to do so risks oil residue on the taper which will significantly reduce the force required to cause it to slip. The factory torque spec for the cam taper is also fairly low. I know one individual who purchased a rabbit new from the factory and had the cam sprocket slip prior to anyone ever loosening the cam sprocket. I also worked on one engine recently where someone had foolishly used loctite on the cam bolt. The loctite on the bolt will not prevent the cam sprocket from slipping but it can prevent the bolt from achieving proper tension on the sprocket on the next installation if the threads are not chased to clean out any residue. Whenever installing a cam sprocket, as mentioned, I clean the tapers with brake parts cleaner, I make sure the cam bolt threads easily, and I do a final torque of 45 ft-lbs rather than the Bentley spec of 33.

Regarding foreign object getting into the belt: in the earlier pics in this thread, it can be seen that the engine does not have the correct lower timing belt cover. I believe the lower cover (if it can be called that) shown in the pics is from a 1.5 or possibly an early 1.6. It leaves a fair amount of space around it for foreign objects to get into the belt. The rear tires also throw things toward the engine. It is quite feasible for an object to find its way in there and cause the belt to jump a few teeth.

This is the correct lower cover and it does a MUCH better job at preventing things from getting into the timing belt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324464609161?hash=item4b8b990789:g:6psAAOSw7sRgD03w

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Don't forget to replace the lifters also.

Roland
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the timing cover. I just bought it. Besides being incorrect, it is also pretty chewed up. I was hoping there would be some timing marks for the crank sprocket - there were they’re gone now.

I do live on a gravel road so there’s a constant stream of crud getting kicked up.

I’ll be careful about inspection, cleanliness and torque on the cam bolt when I put it back together.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Don't forget to replace the lifters also.

Roland

I guess I should replace the cam then too? Seems like a slippery slope to either rebuilding the head or buying a rebuilt head.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

The cam typically survives fine unless the contact is even more dramatic and it snaps into pieces. Yours is still in one piece so it should be fine. You could replace just the 4 valves and 4 lifters. You'll need to replace those 4 valve stem seals and it would be good to at least hand lap the new valves into the seats. That's probably ~$100 in parts which is considerably less than a head. To complete the job you'll also need various other parts like cam seal, head gasket, manifold gaskets (assuming you remove them), head bolts, etc...
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Some people seem to be of the opinion that if the lifters are replaced the cam should also be replaced so the new surfaces can wear in together but maybe it’s not super important? I was wondering if my lifters should be replaced just due to wear, copper starting to show through.

Partsplacellc.com has rebuilt heads for $800 plus core and they seem to have a generally favorable reputation. I’d rather spend $100, I just don’t want to put it all back together and wish I’d spent $800 in a year or two.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I've replaced the lifters without replacing the cam multiple times on the VW diesels and I have never had an issue. YMMV.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Well I got the engine/trans out without too much trouble.

Now I know why the TDC mark was in the wrong spot - the clutch plate was rotated off by one bolt hole. When I move it one hole the mark lines up with the mark I made. Something must be missing from the empty holes in the flywheel that would key it? Dowels? The clutch looks pretty used up so I’m glad I pulled it apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

daltonhawk wrote:
Some people seem to be of the opinion that if the lifters are replaced the cam should also be replaced so the new surfaces can wear in together but maybe it’s not super important? I was wondering if my lifters should be replaced just due to wear, copper starting to show through.

I never understood why that was. The older solid lifters had shims you could swap in and out without replacing the cam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Not sure about bolting the flywheel one any different than it is.... The bolts have one located offset from the others
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
Not sure about bolting the flywheel one any different than it is.... The bolts have one located offset from the others

I’m talking about the pressure plate not the flywheel. I was getting pretty tired last night, maybe I missed something. I’ll go see if I can bolt it in the ‘correct’ position.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Here is a picture of a flywheel from the classifieds. It has three roll pins installed- mine doesn’t have any. Does anyone know the correct size off hand?

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

There should be three dowel pins between the flywheel and pressure plate that allow the pressure plate to be bolted on only one way.

You might consider getting the TDI Vanagon input shaft and running the dual-mass flywheel in order to reduce the stress on the transaxle.

old_man wrote:
daltonhawk wrote:

I never understood why that was. The older solid lifters had shims you could swap in and out without replacing the cam.

Indeed. I think that the caution/belief stems from the air-cooleds and wbx both of which have a tendency to wear out cams or lifters if everything isn't exactly right. That tendency is due to the fact that two lifters share each cam lobe so wear patterns can chew things up quickly. The I-4's with the DOHC setup do not suffer in the same way.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

You might consider getting the TDI Vanagon input shaft and running the dual-mass flywheel in order to reduce the stress on the transaxle.

So I would use the same style clutch, just a different flywheel and input shaft?My transaxle is a 3H code 5 speed from a 1.6td van. Does this change anything?

Ok, I think you guys have convinced me to just replace the valves and lifters unless I find anything else wrong. I do remember the local shop which I consider very knowledgeable replacing only the worn lifters on my 99 tdi Jetta long ago and I didn’t have any problems.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

The DMF comes as a complete kit with flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate. The Luk 17-050 kit is from the Mk4 TDI and costs ~$200 shipped. You need the TDI Vanagon input shaft as the splined area that engages the clutch disc is larger OD to match the TDI disc. The TDI Vanagon input shaft can be had for ~$100. There is minor clearancing required in the bell housing and the nose of the stock starter needs some attention as well in order to avoid pinching the flywheel. The diesel vanagon intermediate plate also does not fit with the TDI flywheels. A completely flat intermediate plate is available also. You would also need to add a TDC mark to the flywheel as the mark on it is not correct for the Vanagon installation.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Ok thank you for the details. I’m thinking it over. I do have an identical spare new clutch so it wouldn’t cost anything to go that route but anything that would make it smoother and more reliable is good.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

I went this route. No regrets. Just don't forget to install a pilot bearing like I did.

Fun fact. I did research on the DMF. Fancy charts and all. Not only does it reduce stress on the transaxle but it does the same for the crankshaft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

My flywheel in the classifieds includes the roll pins. Wink Wink
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The DMF comes as a complete kit with flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate. The Luk 17-050 kit is from the Mk4 TDI and costs ~$200 shipped. You need the TDI Vanagon input shaft as the splined area that engages the clutch disc is larger OD to match the TDI disc. The TDI Vanagon input shaft can be had for ~$100. There is minor clearancing required in the bell housing and the nose of the stock starter needs some attention as well in order to avoid pinching the flywheel. The diesel vanagon intermediate plate also does not fit with the TDI flywheels. A completely flat intermediate plate is available also. You would also need to add a TDC mark to the flywheel as the mark on it is not correct for the Vanagon installation.

Is this DMF kit usable "as is" in my 1990 1.7D Doka?
And what is the "diesel vanagon intermediate plate?"

Thanks
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

Is this DMF kit usable "as is" in my 1990 1.7D Doka?
And what is the "diesel vanagon intermediate plate?"

Thanks

All of the same info in my post applies to your 1.7D. You'd need the TDI Vanagon input shaft, clearance the bell-housing, clearance starter nose, add TDC mark, but yes it will work fine.

The intermediate plate is the sheet metal piece between the engine and trans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: