Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

I like the idea of going with a solution that will get you out there sooner than later. There should still be plenty of good days left to camp this fall. So if you'll being going with a buddy then a ramp and winch makes sense. Shoot if you have a hitch rent a uHaul trailer and target going sooner than later while you sort out the winch and ramp.

It seems like down the road a Westfalia may not be the right tool for the job. Maybe save the budget for a bigger van with a wheelchair lift that could also accommodate a bed and other things you like for camping.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/cto/d/surrey-north-1997-ford-club-wagon/7187892086.html

Shoot this one you could really give you space or convert it to half camper and half taco truck for the Wet Westies events. It would be cool to have a taco truck at a Wet Westies gathering. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/cto/d/north-island-ex-handi-dart/7195148242.html
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

I second the sooner than later comment.

Given what you've said, I think I go back to some of my original thoughts, combined with what others have said.

From what you've described, I don't think having anything inside the Van while you're camping is really feasible. Once you have the chair in there, there would be no real way to move around safely.

Since you say you can walk around the van with a hand on the side, I'm going back to the hitch mounted carrier idea. Combine that with the lightweight chair that was posted that's just for camping. And maybe a step for entering/exiting the Van. And some honest conversations with your camping friends about your mobility issues and need for some help. Then I think you're set.

The ad for this bumper (which has a hitch and looks pretty beefy) says they are made after ordering. So I would suggest contacting them and talking about your needs. Ask whether it could handle a hitch rack with the smaller chairs. Perhaps they could beef it up a little, or provide suggestions on doing so. An anti-rattle clamp (if the chair carrier doesn't come with one) and or some straps from the rain gutters would increase the "tongue weight" abilities.

https://www.vancafe.com/RMW-PPRB01-p/rmw-pprb01.htm

There are all sorts of chair carriers available, including lighter weight aluminum ones.

https://www.discountramps.com/scooter-carrier/p/SC500-AF/

I really think if you could possibly get some help loading and unloading the chair onto the carrier (if needed) and planned for the chair to stay outside while camping, this would be a workable, simple solution.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

If you can get out of a lighter chair once it's on a lightweight trailer and to the van, then this is clearly the short term solution. Westyman's sooner than later is important should there be any imminent further decline in you mobility.
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Duncan! I've looked pretty deep in the web over the last six months; I've never seen anything like what you propose! I think it is a game changer for people in wheelchairs. I believe with refinement it could be a commercial product in an expanding market. Yep, it is that good!

Once you have landed in a wheelchair, functionality far outweighs aesthetics, can it do the job? At a $4K price point it solidly out performs the cable lifts in the market at a similar price.

I am still wrapping my arms around your ideas, but this is my gut reaction!

More later!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

SSWesty and VWWestyman! Thanks for your ideas! The decision to get out in the field sooner rather than later is important. When buying my used wheelchair almost everyone I talked to said that after waiting for approvals and funding, most of the people died shortly after the wheelchair arrived. It took that long. My own health is on the slide in unpredictable ways. My path is to chose to go, get equipment that makes it possible and improve based on real world need. For now, that looks like a ramp and marine winch ($97USD). With the kids back at school, Canadian Campgrounds will reopen, I hope!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

I hate- like HATE- to suggest this, but it seems like camping is just as, if not more, important to you than a Vanagon persay. It may be time to consider taking the resources you have - two Westy's- and converting them into a resource you can use- a camper that can be more readily adapted to your mobility needs.

If you would need to stay VW, a Rialta could be an option.

Just my .02- well, more like .03, I work tangentially with power mobility (clinical social worker in an ER/hospital setting) and know there are options out there, they're just not made for a decades old vehicle that does not align with any newer designs.
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Hi Mike! Thanks for your medical service! Vanagons and my camping experience are inseparably intertwined for over 3 decades. My sense of home is patterned to these vehicles. The Rialta and Eurovans are not my vehicle of choice, ground clearance, for starters and no one knows how to fix them; Big Bucks if they do! That said, I ventured out into the world of used Mobility Vans and found one that met my needs. Our blue camper got totaled but the settlement check covered a 2006 Chevy Uplander Braun Entervan, 24Kmiles, and all the equipment a paraplegic would need to get around. 10" floor drop, power seats, a ramp that rocks, and a V6. Just the sort of vehicle I would not be caught dead in, forgive the expression. But she is growing on me. She delivers me to doctor appointments and surgeries, which is not a comforting association. The Vanagon makes me feel alive and like I am going somewhere... The Chevy feels like a hearse. These were $45-60KUSD back in the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

I understand the associations with the Vanagons and the Uplander.

I wonder if perhaps, then, you'd be better served buying a Vanagon already equipped with a lift and installing a back seat bed in it? You'd end up with more floor space for the chairs and you could have the bed custom made to be full-width!

It also seems like you'd have an easier time finding someone who is willing and able to help put a bed in a wheelchair van, than putting a wheelchair lift in a Westy. There are even more people on the forums who have done things like install a pop-top or high-top (as I'm writing this, it seems perhaps a high-top might be a good option in case decreased muscle mass makes lifting a pop top difficult) on a passenger van, than have installed a wheel chair lift.

It appears there may be at least a couple options on this page.

http://davidsclassiccars.com/volkswagen/170385-1990-volkswagen-vanagon-with-wheel-chair-lift.html

BTW, I've got two Bay buses and now a 2003 Eurovan passenger van. The Eurovan maybe doesn't have the panache of a Bus or even Vanagon, but it still has a German feel and uniqueness. It also has more room than either; with the seats folded flat it can easily swallow a whole stack of 4x8 sheet material and can also tow our large-ish ski boat to the lake. If I had to choose to drive a "van" I would pick the Eurovan over any other minivan. Though there may be some German vehicle snobbishness at play there.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Hi Dave! It takes me about two years to sort a vanagon out to the point it is a Road Warrior... My current favorite upon purchase, would not go more than 70 miles between breakdowns, and that went on for far too long! Even replacing things with current parts is no guarantee there won't be problems, 4 clutch slave cylinders for example.

I have sliced and diced my needs and what I have and come to the conclusion it is better to deal with the devil I know. Though there was an exhaustive search for four months. By the time I had work done to a nearly perfect van it was waaay into the pricey zone. Mobility Vans of the VW type are rarer and never campers. I did have a imaginary fling with a Mercedes Wheelchair Camper custom built and nearly new for $165KUSD. Then I remembered that would be twice what I paid for my first house. And I am adverse to debt.

I no longer have the grip strength to use tools. That was a bitter disappointment to discover. And makes projects impossible for me, now.

I think I have worked out my next steps, thanks to all!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

For consideration, here's a ramp/winch combo used to get a wheelchair into a van. Super custom and perhaps not what's needed here but the timing is coincidental with this thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9467877#9467877

Here's hoping all is going well with this project.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Hi JimF! WOW! That is an incredible find! That one picture of the winch arrangement and ramps would have saved me months of exploring alternatives!

Thanks! Saw a few other great ideas from the thread...
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/kent-1990-vw-vanagon-gl-weekender-rare/7228333728.html

Maybe they’d sell you just the lift?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Think about you often and wonder how you are doing.

Had another crazy idea--not expensive, but seriously oggilie. A pair of aluminum ramps which hinge to a permanent bracket welded underneath the slider sill and low enough to handle the slider to open. A couple of small additional pieces to cross the gap hinged on the ramps so they automatically allow the chair to enter. A winch under the galley with a remote and a cord so you can pull the hook out and hook onto the chair. Up the ramp, close the slider and push a button which operates a second winch. The Dynama cord fastened to the ramps goes up over the car and down to the second winch. Dynema is quite floppy and is as strong as steel and so can easily go over pulleys and through fairleads. It is also soft, so it won't scratch the paint should it rub some as it goes over the curve of the roof. I imagine gutter attached pulleys as the loads are not high. The terrible part is you have a pair of ramps folded up alongside the slider looking like hell and preventing you from seeing out its window.

Be in good health and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Duncan
gpbruce lyons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Hi PJN and Duncan! Thanks for the ideas! The Vanagon Wheelchair Lift would have been perfect 6 months ago, wish I had found it. There is a total weight problem: 400lbs chair and 200lbs me. See Pict I have acquired most of the piece parts and as soon as I get it installed I will include pictures. Thanks for the thoughts!

SyncroCanada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Braun Corporation in the USA used to make lifts. The picture of the blue van previously sent is a Braun unit. They only make ramps now as far as I can tell.
My Carat has one, got it from a buddy who used it to lift a scooter into the Van. The lift was installed in 2005. I have the user manual, but no install instructions. It is electric and ties direct to the battery.

You might find one used. You will need knowledgeable help to install, both mechanical and electrical, they are heavy too (my buddy used to complain about replacing front-passenger side springs).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

^^^ No pic... "must be logged in"... Crying or Very sad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Here's a link to the animated gif that should work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/trucksim/comments/ijlws1/a_lift_to_help_this_truck_driver_get_in_cab/
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

Bruce--Have often thought of you and how you are making out. I hope your condition hasn't deteriorated and you will be able to have a productive camping season.

This truck lift is brilliant----but I noticed that the motorized pivot mechanism seems about 6" high and there is a large platform covering the motor mechanism where the wheelchair is lowered. He also has a remote door opener and a seriously tilting steering wheel. This musta cost beaucoup bucks.

Such an idea could be done on a Vanagon with the pivot in the area of the DS rain gutter. An external beam would need to be welded from the B to C pillar and a hydraulic lifter attached. Then you would need a sliding platform to come out of the floor for you to land on before disconnecting and wheeling inside.

Had another thought. I wonder if there is a way to tow a small motorized trailer which is essentially a ramp. The idea is you wheel yourself onto the ramp and move it to the side where you enter. Then you back around and remotely rehitch the trailer and off you go. Probably big bucks too, but no modes to the car itself. I envision a remote operated screw jack at the hitch with a good sized steerable powered driving wheel. To rehitch, you would need a backup camera to be able to maneuver the hitch back over the ball or whatever the hitch point is. A mirror mounted at a 45º angle on the rear hatch might work too.

Or the motorized trailer could have a lift platform on it so you are always level. This way you back onto the lowered platform and wheel into the car facing forward. No awkwardness avoiding the hitch this way. And if the platform is then lowered remotely, you can easily drive off and not worry about scraping the car against the trailer. A combo of these two ideas. By the way, the trailer mover is $215. Needs a bigger pneumatic tire, though.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Expertise Wanted: Motorized wheelchair into Westy! Reply with quote

The more I think of this, the better I like it. All RC controlled. A back-up wireless cam mounted on the trailer so you can position the hitch exactly. It can have a platform so once on the trailer at elevation, you can roll forwards on the trailer--backwards while sitting?--and put enough weight on the steerable motorized wheel that you will have plenty of traction. Maybe a knobby tire.

And it has a top, so if you want, you can put the wheelchair back on the trailer once you are inside and leave it there overnight even if it rains.

AND the front of the trailer has room for a small Honda if you want 110 at the site--and propane so there is an opportunity for the cooking and in fact a complete kitchen to serve all your buddies with a decent reefer and pressure H & C water and stowage for everything a fella could ever want.

Price?-----------Zero. We draw this up with some nice renderings--probably just the basic covered unit and do a Go Fund Me campaign. With your medical condition and your story plus with the understanding of the entire world now in the Covid time how important socializing is, I see no problem raising the 3/6K this might cost. Then the buddies help build the kitchen and so on.

Part of the deal to attract benefactors is that you will leave this as a legacy for anyone else in your condition so they can experience and enjoy the wilderness up close and personal while sharing it with their best friends.

With your permission, I'd like to do a few engineering sketches to outline the idea better.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: