Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scary lowered bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

So, my mechanic and I just got done lowering my bus 2 1/2 inches. We did it right. It’s an IRS conversion using a super beetle trans and adjustable spring plates and up front it has dropped spindles and disc brakes.

My first ride in it was exhilarating and simultaneously, terrifying. It wandered over the road way and at times it was difficult to control. I only took it a short distance, got it in third gear and turned around.

Tomorrow, I am getting an alignment. Hoping that helps. But, I must say, I was so frightened by the ride I thought I would have to sell it. Only after cooling off and thinking about it some more did I calm down. A lot of people are driving these and many swear by them.

Am I right? Can I get some feedback, please?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

try and post suspension pics. Was the center pin replaced? Any play in your steering box?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Post some pics of the suspension, if there's something glaringly wrong someone will be able to point it out. If it hasn't had at least an eyeball alignment it's probably gonna drive like crap after changing so many variables though, I'd get a proper alignment before throwing it on Craigslist.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

yes, there is play in the steering box. I think that is part of it.

Tomorrow, it is getting a proper alignment by a real technician.

Pictures to come.

but is anyone rolling a similarly modified bus and how do you like the performance?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Did it handle wildly and frighteningly before you lowered it?

Since you did both ends, and your rear toe could be wonky now, your problems are all most likely associated with not having any sort of alignment after taking everything apart.

Unless you had wandering and darting problems before taking things apart, then just lowering 2.5 inches wouldn't cause such drastic changes. A little bit of drift from a loose box shouldn't scare the pants off of you.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Other than the questions asked already, what shop did the lowering? There are some that I wouldn't trust to change the oil in my bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Who built the beam? The spindles?
My Bus drives great. A Bus lowered properly will have a more stiff and jarring ride than stock but won't be any more difficult to drive.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Did you lower that Westy that you posted a picture of? Looks like a super nice stock SO42.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Yes, I lowered that beautiful Westy. I saw the tests made by the California Highway patrol in 1966 and they scared me quite a bit, the tendency for rollover at even low speeds. When I grenaded my stock transmission, I put a small nut transmission in And found I had a top speed of about 60 and it whined like hell. That’s when I decided to do the IRS conversion and get the center of gravity a bit lower. Overall, I love it. I love that I don’t have to climb in, I can just easily enter. And, I am pretty sure that it will now be able to go into my garage with the roof rack on.

I appreciate all the help. I think you have answered my questions.

Today it gets an alignment. That will either cure it or I will be getting my steering box rebuilt. The competent shop I am having do the job, I am sure can steer me in the right direction concerning the steerin g box (pun intended).
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Hopefully it can be corrected with an alignment. However, there’s a strong possibility that the shop screwed up the geometry when installing the IRS conversion.

Like stated above, if the vehicle handled well beforehand with the current steering box, replacing it isn’t going to remedy an issue that presents itself after everything that was recently done.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
Yes, I lowered that beautiful Westy. I saw the tests made by the California Highway patrol in 1966 and they scared me quite a bit, the tendency for rollover at even low speeds. When I grenaded my stock transmission, I put a small nut transmission in And found I had a top speed of about 60 and it whined like hell. That’s when I decided to do the IRS conversion and get the center of gravity a bit lower. Overall, I love it. I love that I don’t have to climb in, I can just easily enter. And, I am pretty sure that it will now be able to go into my garage with the roof rack on.

I appreciate all the help. I think you have answered my questions.

Today it gets an alignment. That will either cure it or I will be getting my steering box rebuilt. The competent shop I am having do the job, I am sure can steer me in the right direction concerning the steerin g box (pun intended).

Did you use an IRS kit from someone?
I put a Wolfgang IRS kit in my Bus a couple of years ago. I did it myself without any fancy tools and then had a friend align it at his shop and it and it drives awesome.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

First, that is hardly low. LoL Do you have another picture of it lowered? LoL I kid, I kid. LMBO Laughing

There are so many things that could be wrong, you should post pictures like everyone is saying to help. I can honestly say, any worn or loose parts will make it scary to drive low or stock. I know I had a worn box with a worn rod end and that SOB was all over the road.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Did it handle wildly and frighteningly before you lowered it?

This^^.

Aligning might help.
Did you balance the (new?) tires?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Classic samba thread:

“OMG help me something is seriously wrong!“

“There’s a bunch of knowledgeable people here who can help. Please post pictures and information about the parts you used. You should also try this... this... and this first....”

(Ignores posts) “I’m just going to try it this way”
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
I put a Wolfgang IRS kit in my Bus a couple of years ago. I did it myself without any fancy tools and then had a friend align it at his shop and it and it drives awesome.

I didn't know you had an IRS kit in your bus. I installed one in my 64 while overseas from Bus Boys. It was super easy and rode nice! I didn't have enough engine to push the gearing.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

I used the bolt in pivot points and adjustable spring plates from Dubfab. I have had a very good experience with Mike Anderson. Initially, he was hard to get ahold of. But once I did, he was very helpful. And his parts are of the highest quality.

The shop I am using is Annaptown Imports in Maryland. The owner is Fred the Motorhead. He is very knowledgable, especially for engines. Being on the East Coast, we don’t have the depth of knowledge concerning lowering that the west coast guys have. Air cooled vw’s are pretty scarce here.

I wasn’t ignoring the request for photos. I am just having a very hard time uploading them, compounded by my poor eyesight.

Nuts, I uploaded four separate images and discovered it was really just one image, saved four times! Anywyas, here it is. I will try again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

I take it the rear shocks were put on after you had taken this picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Glad Fred did it. He is incredibly knowledgeable and talented and stands by the work he does. If it doesn't drive right, he'll adjust what needs adjusting until you're happy with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Classic samba thread:

“OMG help me something is seriously wrong!“

“There’s a bunch of knowledgeable people here who can help. Please post pictures and information about the parts you used. You should also try this... this... and this first....”

(Ignores posts) “I’m just going to try it this way”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So many times Ive wanted to say the exact same thing.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary lowered bus Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
VWAdam wrote:

I didn't know you had an IRS kit in your bus. I installed one in my 64 while overseas from Bus Boys. It was super easy and rode nice! I didn't have enough engine to push the gearing.

It was straight axle when you rode in it.
I'd always toyed with the idea of IRS and after I lost 4th gear, I just decided to go for it. I love it.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: