Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new rear bumper
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: new rear bumper Reply with quote

anybody making new quality point style bumpers? somebody didn't like mine so they ran into me and f'ed it up Brick wall
20 ATLAS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

I've been hearing the Wolfsburg West rear blades are pretty nice. Although looking now, it's listed as 59-67 and I can't tell if it's slash or point from the pic.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211707305A
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west are slash style
20 ATLAS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Many folks buy another good used slashie and cut/weld the pointed caps from your old bumper to it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

I have a nice pointed rear, I would sell it if you need it.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Many folks buy another good used slashie and cut/weld the pointed caps from your old bumper to it.

This is disturbing
johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Right, search the classifieds.

You may have to pay for shipping to get one that's decent. Not too bad with Greyhound or FedexGround with an account.

I had a mint one for sale for months! Finally had a guy from CA come up to Seattle and buy it (he was in town anyways for his daughter).
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Check around to see if your have a plating shop that will do bumpers in chrome. Art Brass in Seattle have some real metal wizards that can weld and straighten out a bumper to look new again. Seen a ribbed bus rear bumper that was torn into three or four pieces, and those pieces folded up. When it came back it was perfect, and ready for paint. Since the bumper was not going to be chromed, the cost for repairs was very reasonable.
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

20 ATLAS
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

hopefully the ripples in the long panel will come out when it gets pulled.
plenty of bondo but it will be better now that its getting a new corner.
20 ATLAS
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Well that certainly sucks. Sorry to see this.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

That bumper looks plenty fixable. They are fairly thick metal. Pull it off for body work on the bus and a hammer and dolly can work wonders on that bumper. Helps if you have another straight bumper to set yours on top of to see what else you need to pull to get it straight
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Might invest in accessory signal lights or at least a center brake light to keep more of the idiots behind you away.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Added amber lights that work with both turn signals and brakes have helped greatly to keep from being rear ended by today's inattentive drivers.
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

That's ^^ not going to do much.
You need bright lights up high in the hatch window (SUV eye-level)
johnnypan wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
That's ^^ not going to do much.
You need bright lights up high in the hatch window (SUV eye-level)

Actually it does quite well. Huge change from other drivers before and after.

First found that out with the 1963 KG. 12 volts, and constantly got cut off and screamed/fingered at with all red USA taillights. Went with the amber topped taillights and maybe 95% of the problem vanished.
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

I actually have the 2 bulb euro lights in it with the extra (turn signal ) socket wired as an extra brake light. when this happened I was stopped in traffic and the car behind me was hit hard and pushed into me.
20 ATLAS
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: new rear bumper Reply with quote

I probably could have the bumper fixed but it wasn't that great to start with
20 ATLAS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: