Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old man emu shock upper nut help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

So I am installing new springs on my syncro that has Old man emu shocks with about 25k miles on them. Anyways drivers side the upper 17mm nut is on pretty frikin tight. Was likely over torqued. I cant get it to budge and am starting to booger up that upper stud that you wrench against. Any thoughts on how to best proceed with getting that nut free? Ive soaked it in penetrating oil and no help. Tried some heat but need to be careful cuz of rubber bushing under there. Really dont want to make that stud worse or ill have nothing to stabilize it with. Looking for pro tips thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

Time to cut that nut...Dremel or multitool, your choice... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

What sort of multi tool? Nut splitter? Every time i try to dremel a nut i just end up breaking a ton of disks and getting even more frustrated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nut splitter would get you there too...go for it.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

Several things.

You can remove the seat for better access. There is a rubber plug that will give you direct access to the top for an impact gun to remove it. If you have an impact, that's probably your quickest option. 3-4 second bursts until it's free, then go back to hand wrenches if you are worried about the spinning shock seals.

You can also buy the correct shock absorber socket. I just googled and pulled the first one to show you, but you can prime it on amazon or find a more local one on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-TOOLS-6182-SHOCK-...1810680610
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
What sort of multi tool? Nut splitter? Every time i try to dremel a nut i just end up breaking a ton of disks and getting even more frustrated

I have been using the fiber reinforced cut off disks. They are wayyy better than the standard discs that break when you look at them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedi...ame=sp_atf

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

There should be a rubber plug in the floor over the shock. Access is under the seat. There might be the room to get an impact gun and buzz it off. A swivel seat will be more cramped for getting at it.

The oscillating saw in my opinion they are better suited for drywall and wood. That’s a pretty substantial piece of hardware and it sounds like you want to reuse the shock.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

Thanks all! This is a 2wd converted to a syncro so no rubber bung access under seat. But I think I will pull the seat and make an access hole and try the impact route first before cutting. Out of curiosity, what will happen if the shaft that the nut rides on spins too much in place?

Thanks again for the advice!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

You can shorten the life the of seals if they overheat and melt. But, just breaking it free will not harm anything. And if the nut easily continues to come up the threads because the weight of the van is on the shock, you can also safely keep using an impact.

I wouldn't use an impact to install them though. I used to, until I was in a rush one day and nearly done with a suspension rebuild. I snapped the top of the shock off. Lesson learned.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

It would appear that the nut is a "deformed" locking nut. That is where the top third or so of the nut is deformed so it locks onto the threads. These are stronger than Nylocks. If you try spinning the nut without holding the shaft it will just spin. You need to get a grip on the shaft to prevent spinning.

I would try two things. First sacrifice the rubber bushing under the washer, it's old and cracking anyway. Use a saw or dremel type tool to cut it away. This will loosen tension under the washer and nut. Then get a good grip on the shaft with a pair of vice gripes and use a wrench on the nut to loosen and remove.

Make sure the threads of the shaft are clean to help prevent galling.

Good luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

remove the seat to get better access from the top, with a socket that is tight and that you can extend to get leverage on. will give you better chance before cutting it . i bet you can get it with a socket and breaker bar to gain leverage.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

Well to update I got it free! Decided to try something. I complety compressed the spring and jack up on the control arm to relieve the stress. Got a really good grip with a new set of vice grips and my 17 box wrench and on the first pushed it came free. Phew! Already finished the spring replacement and buttoned it back up. Made sure not to over torque that shock nut. Thanks for all the advice! I was armes with all my cutting tools, glad it didnt come to that
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

Good job!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Old man emu shock upper nut help Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
But I think I will pull the seat and make an access hole and try the impact route first before cutting.

Even though you got it, I'd do this anyway for future access. I did it in my van, and it makes access with an impact gun easy.

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: