Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 PCV Valve Failure
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Searching the forums I have not really found a good solution for this. In 2003 I found Ray talking about it on another site where he recommends using a plastic marble with a 3 mm hole drilled into it. in place of the flap and spring. Is this still the best solution?

Here is a video of plugging this port at idle which I think idicates failure

Link
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
Searching the forums I have not really found a good solution for this. In 2003 I found Ray talking about it on another site where he recommends using a plastic marble with a 3 mm hole drilled into it. in place of the flap and spring. Is this still the best solution?

Here is a video of plugging this port at idle which I think idicates failure

Link

Mind you....the "marble". modification...(actually I like to use plastic or aluminum rod of about 12-13mm because its easier to orient in the right direction with the hole when you shove it in the hose).....was done on type 4 engines...but they are D-jet and have a very nearly identical PCV system.

I have had some feedback over the years (mostly on the STF) from others who have had success.

You can tell....how rich or lean their baseline fuel setting is collectively at the MPS and sensors and fuel pressure ...by what hole size they say works the best on their engine. If you can get away with 3mm...you may be a little richer collectively. 1mm or 2mm...you are a little leaner (1mm is too small for effective PCV flow in my opinion).

But bear in mind....you always need to do idle adjustment after this...and about 75% of the time you need a tweak leaner on the center armature screw at the MPS because the vacuum leak tweaks the MPS to act like a throttle opening and it adds a little fuel.

Or...if your system was already adjusted well with what I call "high" fuel pressure....at say 30-31 psi....you may get away with just backing the fuel pressure down 1-3 psi instead of an MPS adjustment.

Each 1 psi is about 3.57% of fuel mixture. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Perfect I'll go dowl shopping today! I have a friend who is going to try his hand at 3D printing a replacement for me so I'll let you know how that turns out.

Is there a video of someone adjusting the MPS? I'd like to see it happen before I go in there. I am very afraid of this part. I know it shouldn't be that hard but the idea of ruining it makes me sick.

To adjust fuel pressure is there a trick to this? I have a newer Airtex 2 port pump. is there an adjustment on the regulator or do I swap it out with a different one?

When you say idle adjustment you are referring to the idle air screw and checking the timing correct?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
Perfect I'll go dowl shopping today! I have a friend who is going to try his hand at 3D printing a replacement for me so I'll let you know how that turns out.

Is there a video of someone adjusting the MPS? I'd like to see it happen before I go in there. I am very afraid of this part. I know it shouldn't be that hard but the idea of ruining it makes me sick.

To adjust fuel pressure is there a trick to this? I have a newer Airtex 2 port pump. is there an adjustment on the regulator or do I swap it out with a different one?

When you say idle adjustment you are referring to the idle air screw and checking the timing correct?

I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with the MPS.

Yes, use the fuel pressure adjusting screw (bolt and lock nut combo on the right side of the engine) for adjusting fuel pressure I believe turning it right (in) raises pressure).
Yes the idle screw on the plenum (has a lock nut) to set idle speed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
JoMoSqBk wrote:

I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with the MPS.

Yes, use the fuel pressure adjusting screw (bolt and lock nut combo on the right side of the engine) for adjusting fuel pressure I believe turning it right (in) raises pressure).
Yes the idle screw on the plenum (has a lock nut) to set idle speed.

Sorry...its been busy. I will post some of the LOOOONG...wiritings I have of adjusting the MoS.

Its really not "HARD"....and no...you will not "break" it.

But I made that word bold...because its detailed. Some find adjusting the MPS too tedious.

Everyone swears you must have an exhaust sniffer. No....not necessary. It helps...its nice...but not necessary.

And....a modern 3 or 4 wire wideband 02 unit is not what you want. The resolution and accuracy of the wide band unit compared o a single wire 02 sensor.....has higher resolution and faster sampling...than the D-jet system itself does. Your readings will make no sense and you will drive yourself crazy chasing adjustments.

Why?....because the exhaust system on all ACVW.....precludes getting a good, stable, repeatable reading....without the old school armored cable style that goes about 2 feet into the muffler so you can get where all four cylinders mix and there is no oxygen from the outside.

And....most importantly.....because ALL D-jet cars...NEVER ran ....at idle.....perfectly. Typically they run EITHER a little richer than a proper modern car....so that as they lean out from the sensors and through the mid-range....they will not be too lean at the top end.
Or....Slightly lean at idle.....so that as other parts of the system enrich during mid range throttle and shift transitions.....they do not become overly rich at WOT and at transitions.

So which is it?....it depends on how well your engine is running and which system you have....which tells you which MPS series you have and whether you have a full load vacuum switch, full laod puilt in as a hard wired program....or have the MPS with the outer full load stop that controls impulse enrichment with the copper diaphragm.
And....which TVS you have . Early Two wire.....on/off....or later with 10 pairs of contacts each of which is enrichment.

And....if you have an old engine with low or variable compression....tuning the MPS is harder. Fix all of that.

So yes...we will get into tuning the MPS. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help!

Alright, so I drilled a 2mm hole in a 1/2" aluminum rod and installed it. This fits perfectly and has removed the vacuum leak. As you suspected my fuel pressure was too high at about 32 PSI I backed this down to 28 but I am still rich (or maybe lean?). I have limited power until I get into higher RPM also there is almost no power difference between half throttle and full throttle. Hopefully not TVS too (which is the 10 wire)?

Below are the images of the installed dowel as well as my MPS. That black cap on the back does not remove easily so I am guessing the next step would be to pull it off the mounting bracket so I can fully see what I am doing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Ok....good stuff.

I would make that aluminum dowel easily removeable so you can tune its opening diameter if needed. It needs to be large enough to flow some air.....but small enough to moderate the vacuum leak it really is....in a stable manner. But it's there...thats good so far.

Also understand about the fuel pressure issue. As noted....every +/- 1 psi is a a +/- 3.57%.....so the actual pressure is critical.

But also.....these injectors are low impedance....so they have low internal spring pressure ....and have a large pintle with a narrow angle. They have issues when they get up around 35 psi or higher. They have problems re-seating/re-ssaling the pintle ahove 2000 rpm. Tbeh have a tendency to keep flowing and revert to a stream instead of a spray.

So.....if you are above 30 psi.....and are not using a gauge that is KNOWN to be accurate.....you could be enough higher in pressure to cause issues. So its good to keep it at 28.....normal.....with the possibility that you can go up to 32 psi if you need a little.

I think you MPS is a "B" unit.....have to check my cheat sheet. Read the parg number to us please.

You need to check the resistance of the outer pair of connectors on it and then the inner pair. You need to check that it holds vacuum indefinitely. If you have a hand pump....great. if not just pull off the hose, suck on it and hold your toungue over the end. 10 seconds will tell you.

Thats probably a four wire TVS....right? If your system does NOT have a vacuum pressure switch under and bolted to the underside of one of the runners.....then your WOT enrichment is part of the runing of the MPS and the circuitry in the ECU and probably one WOT contact in the TVS....so TVS has to have the correct part number.

That black cover on the back of the MPS is an anti tamper cover. It does not,come off without breaking it.....which ro me means nothing. If the MPS needs to be adjusted it needs to be adjusted.

More when you tell us what you have. Ray
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick clear feedback!

Just to be clear the PO swapped my injectors so they are no longer needles but have three holes. These have worked well for quite a while so I do not suspect them.

I trust the pressure gauge is accurate. It is brand new and when I made changes it reacted as it should.

My MPS Part number has a Bosch number and a VW number:
311 906 051 E

Checking resistance at 2k I get the below readings if this should be a different multiplier I can give those as well:
Outside 93 ohms
Inside 343 ohms

My TVS actually has 5 wires running to it it is part number 311 906 111 E. I am not sure about the pressure switch or WOT so if you need more details about these please let me know and I can do a little research.

I am good with cutting the cover off just say the word Smile
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Also, I am not sure if it is relevant but my plugs are longer than the standard so I am wondering if somewhere along the line there was an adjustment to add HP and that would explain the higher fuel pressure?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
Thanks for the quick clear feedback!

Just to be clear the PO swapped my injectors so they are no longer needles but have three holes. These have worked well for quite a while so I do not suspect them.

I trust the pressure gauge is accurate. It is brand new and when I made changes it reacted as it should.

My MPS Part number has a Bosch number and a VW number:
311 906 051 E

Checking resistance at 2k I get the below readings if this should be a different multiplier I can give those as well:
Outside 93 ohms
Inside 343 ohms

My TVS actually has 5 wires running to it it is part number 311 906 111 E. I am not sure about the pressure switch or WOT so if you need more details about these please let me know and I can do a little research.

I am good with cutting the cover off just say the word Smile

Ok...so you have modern disc style injectors. They "can" have teh same issue but I just do not know.

So you have an "E" MPS and an "E" five wire TVS ....just make sure you also have an "E" ECU.

I will have to look at my cheat sheets....but I 'think" your system has no Pressure switch.

Yours is a 1973.....so....as MPS's go (and type 3 was screwy).......and to make a correction to what I stated earlier.....they started out with the "A" series with the single slotted adjusting screw....went to the "B" type (which spanned several letter codes iirc).....what type 3 guys call the "b" type and/or sometime "C" type....is what type 4 called the "E" type.

So type 3 MPS's in order.....regardless of letter code:

Early type 3 had the single slotted adjusting screw hiding under that black tamper cap. These used a seperate pressure switch on a bracket under the runners to get full load enrichment. You pop the throttle open....and like a vacuum advance unit...the switch loses vacuum pressure and closes a contact....and the ECU changes pulsewdith on the injectors to max.

Next came the more modern MPS....like 971-1972-ish with the large flat blade 14mm screw/plug sealed in by epoxy. That screw/plug...is not a "cover"...its actually the adjusting screw...called the outer full load stop....and drives against a copper diaphragm inside. and has a vent system. Thats how this MPS does full load enrichment.

The one you have....the "E"....under that black plug...has a 4mm allen key adjustment that is sealed with epoxy. That allen key adjustment if you shine a light in the key hole....has a small vent drilled into it....that ventilates the inside of the barometric chamber inside....so that one half of your barometric chamber is keyed to atmospheric pressure.

In general....this type of MPS and the corresponding ECU and TVS.....is said to control your max throttle enrichment .Its often erroneously stated that its "IN" the MPS.
No....its not.....not really. Yes...the "E" MPS is set to up to work with this system...but there are no contacts or vacuum switches inside of the "E" MPS to CREATE full load enrichment. Its in the ECU.

When you pop the throttle wide open.....there is an extra reach sliding contact that makes ground contact and says you have reached WOT....and that...along with the outer air sample and response of losing all vacuum on the MPS....combined...is what tells the ECU to run its little pulsewidth increase.

All of that aside......your MPS is relatively easy to adjust. All of these MPS...if you drive and test carefully...can be adjusted....especially if its just a slight adjustment and not trying to set up one that has been disassembled ad tweaked....from scratch.....can be adjusted just like adjusting a single barrel solex carb by ear.

There are four big mistakes almost everyone makes when they start adjusting an MPS.

First...before we get into that....don't be afraid of it. Yours is actually the most robust of all of them. You will NOT break it. It only has ONE adjustment....unlike the copper diaphragm model...which has THREE adjustments.

1. MARK WHERE THE SCREW IS. Do not just do this with sharpy. Take a file and a fine scriber. Fie a small flat spot across one edge of the screwdriver slot. You will call this "12:00" from now on. Its the part of the screw you will be looking at to see how far you turned it.
Make a fine sharp mark on the body where the screw slot lines up with it now.

2. Pick a SET driving and testing route. You want to be able to get the car up to full temp, test a couple of inclines and some 40-45 mph running with some shift points and a little highway speed with fine cruise throttle openings.

Get a notebook and write down every change you make in order.

3. Over a couple of days of driving around....stop when you are maximum warmed up...and check the CHT (TS-2) with a volt meter and get its reading. Write that down. You want to find out what its average resistance is when its fully warmed up.

THEN.....you want to get a variable resistor.....and set it to that resistance....and plug it in...between the CHT/TS-2 wire and teh case ground. So you will be taking the TS-2 out of the loop.

You MUST do this. If not...every time you stop for a few to make your next adjustment or take a rest etc....if the CHT cools down...it changes your fuel mixture....so you end you tweaking your fuel adjustment and chasing the CHT...instead of setting it to what the engine needs when fully warmed up.

Once you get everything done....you can then set your resistor to what the CHT will read in winter time and see if your adjustment still holds. Do not worry about that yet until cold weather gets here...because it will need the input of the TS-1 showing the colder air temp to make sure its accurate.

4. Make sure EVERYTHING else is correct.....BEFORE you start adjusting the MPS.....timing, points, plugs, coil...no vacuum leaks...valve adjustment...fuel pressure.....TVS

Oh...read through these. Bear in mind that some of this seems type 4 specific....but the type 4 uses some of the same part numbers of 4 and 5 wire TVS.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683230

This thread has a LOT of TVS adjusting information

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

This one is just so you can see how the other four wire works. You do NOT have this one but its good info.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701340&highlight=early++pin+tvs

Oh....by the way...the question about fuel pressure gauge quality is not about whether its new....its about what the gauge accuracy rating is. Most of your basic home depot water pressure gauges...are class "C" or even unrated. This means they can be all over the planet by a few psi.

A few psi is a lot in this system.

Somewhere I have posted a list of affordable pressure gauges with great accuracy. I will look for it.

So you drive ...and tweak...and drive...and tweak.

And....do not...YET...be tempted to plug in an exhaust sniffer. You will chase your tail until the end of time.

D-jet....and for instance...CIS injection....do not have the greatest "at idle" and "in midrange" fuel mixture control. They do not need great accuracy at idle. Who drives at idle speed?

Both of these systems either run a little lean at idle to as not not be too rich in the mid range...or they run a little rich at idle so as not to be to lean at midrange and WOT.....and the exhaust system is not accurate enough in mixing to properly feed a wideband sensor.

In short....the wide band sensor is more accurate than the system you are tuning.

You adjust D-jet for BEST DRIVE-ABILITY ...across all driving ranges .....FIRST. Then you check heat. Then you can fine tune with a wide band or narrow band. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Thanks Dr. Phil! I was fumbling around for my copy of that.

Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Ray, what you're calling the "B" MPS (for a t-4), is the C-D MPS (70-71for a t-3). The T-3 got the "E" MPS for 72-73, and it is different from the t-4 "E" MPS.
The "A-B" t-3 MPS is the simple set up with a divorced pressure switch, and a 2 wire MPS unit. Don't know if this helps clear up things, or makes it more complicated.
What jomosqbk (the OP) has is a 70, that uses the copper plate inside the MPS, or the "C-D" system.-
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ray, what you're calling the "B" MPS (for a t-4), is the C-D MPS (70-71for a t-3). The T-3 got the "E" MPS for 72-73, and it is different from the t-4 "E" MPS.
The "A-B" t-3 MPS is the simple set up with a divorced pressure switch, and a 2 wire MPS unit. Don't know if this helps clear up things, or makes it more complicated.
What jomosqbk (the OP) has is a 70, that uses the copper plate inside the MPS, or the "C-D" system.-

Yes....thanks for the reminder! Like I said....type 3 is a bit screwy variation wise so I always have to hit my cheat sheet. Laughing

But really.....in type 4 wise....B, C E.....are ALL the same configuration as the "middle years" C and D type 3.....meaning they have an outer full load stop and a copper diaphragm plate. Its actually hard to find a type 4 with earlier or different systems than that. Pretty much 71 only.

No.....look carefully. The MPS that the OP has....does NOT have a copper/plate diaphragm inside. Notice that it has the black plastic anti-tamper cover on the outside?......those have nothing to grip to on the C-D diaphrgam plate models with the outer full load stop.....and the plate models use epoxy to form an anti tamper layer.

His car/system is a 1973. Ray
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Yep I am all 73 and matching E's across the board.

I took the TVS out and cleaned/oiled it well last night. Thanks for the step by step guide! Two quick questions before installation.

In your guide you also remove the throttle body, this looks a little more involved on the T3 than the T4 is this necessary or can I run the tests with the TVS mounted back on the car?

Also, I have lost a considerable amount of brass over the years is this a concern? Is there a repair I can do? I scooted the contact over a MM or two to make better contact.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
Yep I am all 73 and matching E's across the board.

I took the TVS out and cleaned/oiled it well last night. Thanks for the step by step guide! Two quick questions before installation.

In your guide you also remove the throttle body, this looks a little more involved on the T3 than the T4 is this necessary or can I run the tests with the TVS mounted back on the car?

Also, I have lost a considerable amount of brass over the years is this a concern? Is there a repair I can do? I scooted the contact over a MM or two to make better contact.

A couple of items....

1. DO NOT oil the contact strips. Oil collects dust and this is abrasive and is what wears out the strips.

2. Actually.....its not brass on the contact strips. Its gold clad circuit board.

As long as its not worn through.....you should be ok.

3. On the type 3 TB.....just hold the throttle plate closed with your fingers. On the type 4 we have to take the TB off because the switch is on the bottom and cannot be reached.

Ray
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

I adjusted the best I could but no matter what I do there is too much play in the plastic piece. After opening the throttle it will always return to the off pole even when turned all the way out.

I adjusted the pressure plate that sits against the throttle return but that did not correct the issue either.

Should I go ahead and begin adjusting the MPS with the TVS as close as it can be to being set? Right now it is driving like it is out of time (it isn't) there is very limited power and I can barely accelerate up even the smallest incline.

*Edit for clarity the power issue is worse at higher speeds and higher gears but can be felt immediately.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
Also, I am not sure if it is relevant but my plugs are longer than the standard so I am wondering if somewhere along the line there was an adjustment to add HP and that would explain the higher fuel pressure?

Anyone have thoughts about this? I am surprised plugs that long aren't hitting the piston. Are there heads with much longer plug threads?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
I adjusted the best I could but no matter what I do there is too much play in the plastic piece. After opening the throttle it will always return to the off pole even when turned all the way out.

I adjusted the pressure plate that sits against the throttle return but that did not correct the issue either.

Should I go ahead and begin adjusting the MPS with the TVS as close as it can be to being set? Right now it is driving like it is out of time (it isn't) there is very limited power and I can barely accelerate up even the smallest incline.

*Edit for clarity the power issue is worse at higher speeds and higher gears but can be felt immediately.

OK...wait...wait...wait.

Explain a little better about what is going on. What pressure plate are we speaking of please?

When you have adjusted the TVS...then stroke it through a full open cycle and then back to closed....the contact will always return to the "off" pole.

Now understand this.....when you are slowly opening the throttle and looking at the TVS.....while the throttle plate is moving TOWARD opening.....the forked switch will always be on the "on" pole.

BUT....BUT....if you stop moving the throttle plate anywhere during the opening stroke.....the forked contact SHOULD always move to the "off" pole.

Understand.....the forked contact should ONLY be in contact with the "on" pole....when the throttle plate is actually in motion toward OPEN.

If the throttle plate is closing....the forked switch should contact the "off" pole.
If the throttle plate stops in mid -stroke...like when you are holding the throttle slightly open while cruising.....the forked switch should be in contact with the "OFF" pole.

Understand what this switch does.....its exactly like...same function as....the accelerator pump in a carburetor. It should only be in contact with the "ON" pole when teh throttle plate is MOVING toward open. In that situation each set of contacts you alternately run over causes a pair of injectors to trigger out of time giving extra fuel.

Likewise...when you are holding steady cruise...you do not need acceleration enrichment. Likewise....when decelerating and the throttle plate is closing...you do not need acceleration enrichment .....so NO.....there is likely NOT too much slop in the plastic part.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
JoMoSqBk wrote:

Anyone have thoughts about this? I am surprised plugs that long aren't hitting the piston. Are there heads with much longer plug threads?

Yes...there are numerous type 1 heads that use the longer plugs....be he needs to make sure he has them. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: