Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

I'm a bit undecided on how to handle this one, so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction:

Almost exactly a year ago, I happened to see a young kid having trouble with his buggy in the parking lot of the hardware store near my house. And since I am probably the only person in a 100-mile radius of here that knows anything about ACVW's, I kinda felt it was my duty to help a brother out.

Turns out, he had not only recently installed a new, made-in-China "distributor" he bought for $40 from Amazon, but he was also powering up his alternator with a hot-wire direct from the battery, by-passing the regulator and dumping massive voltage into his cheaply made points and condenser. Result: molten slag and no sparky!

As luck would have it, I kept a spare German-made Bosch 009 in the trunk of my machine in case of emergencies, so I offered to let him borrow it until he could get a proper new one for himself. He said sure, and after I installed it for him and adjusted his timing, off into the sunset he went.

One year later, and obviously, the kid didn't return the parts I lent him. But that's not what really bothers me. I'm not a big fan of the 009 anyway, and I even told the kid that if it weren't my only spare, I would have given it to him outright. Of course, there is the principle of the matter to consider, but that doesn't really bother me, either. Well, maybe a little. What really bothers me, is the kid's poor buggy! I bet I spent twice as much time pointing out all the things that were wrong on his engine as I did installing my distributor on it- bent and crushed pushrod tubes, no air cleaner, no manifold heat, no hose clamps on the fuel lines, missing every piece of cooling tin, mismatched, cheap Chinese aftermarket parts everywhere, you name it! It was even missing the strap that secures the alternator to the tower; the only things stopping it from flying off were the fan belt and the four screws on the fan shroud.

Now, here's my dilemma: I told the kid I wanted to help him get his engine sorted out, which he seemed very grateful and eager to do, and I suppose I would like my distributor back (it was a German Bosch, after all). However, doing so would require a considerable amount of detective work to track the kid down, and we are technically still in the middle of this "we're all gonna die!" pandemic.

So, is it worth tracking the kid down, or would it be a waste of time?

I'm on the fence here, so maybe what I need is some good ol' samba advice to set me straight!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

In short. Do nothing and move on. You’ve done more then enough. Different story if he kept in contact with a plan to return your part or offer to buy it. Hell even offer to buy you a six pack would be nice. Or help you do yard work. Anything. He offered nothing. The end.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
So, is it worth tracking the kid down, or would it be a waste of time?

I'm on the fence here, so maybe what I need is some good ol' samba advice to set me straight!

Yes, if me, I would track him down and get my property back.

Kid needs to learn some responsibility. Not just for now, but for the future !!! And his future life, and maybe to pass on to his own kids someday.

If I was the recipient of such good deed, not only would I have made a special trip to return your vintage distributor, I would've included a gift card to a restaurant for $50.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

I've met Beetle owners like this. Most of them really didn't care what they were driving, just that it got them down the road for the time being.

The kids' Beetle has probably popped a fuel line loose by now and caught the car on fire. You did what you could and got burned, too. No good deed..... right?

I'd move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Ordinarily I say yes- go collect it. But this is as much on you for not getting his contact info and setting an upfront contract with him as it is on him for not having integrity. The other thing- you failed to establish and make him understand the value you placed on that part. He'll learn responsibility from someone bigger and meaner.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

You'll never see that kid again.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Let it go. You have better things to do with your time. Wish that boy well and hope you had a positive impact on him. Maybe some other time and in another place, life will repay you for your deed. My 2 cents.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

^^^This^^^

With what you have seen of the workmanship on his Buggy and the fact he is just a kid with little resources (buying a cheap part proves that) there is a pretty good chance something else failed, the Buggy is sitting in his parent's back yard, he is out of funds and discouraged with the whole endeavour.

If you find him again and he hasn't sold the Buggy for scrap give him a hand again. Just be a bit more cautious about donating parts that still have value to you.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Teaching someone who is at that level is probably a lot more than you want to take on. You’ll have to teach so many basic life lessons before you can even start teaching auto tech.

Your distributor is gone, and could very well be destroyed by now by all the well-meaning free help he’s mooched since that time.

Consider it the cost of the education you’ve received. Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Same thing as loaning a friend money and never seeing them again.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Good advice, all.

To be fair to the kid, he did stop by my house once or twice to let me know he hadn't forgotten about me (but that was ten months ago, before the pandemic hit, so who knows, the poor lad might've gone on to that big lube job in the sky since then). And perhaps I overstated a bit the difficulty of tracking him down. He told me where he worked and more or less where he lived; it would be a pain in the arse, but I'm sure I could find him in an afternoon or two of driving around.

kpf wrote:
Teaching someone who is at that level is probably a lot more than you want to take on. You’ll have to teach so many basic life lessons before you can even start teaching auto tech.

Your distributor is gone, and could very well be destroyed by now by all the well-meaning free help he’s mooched since that time.

Consider it the cost of the education you’ve received. Wink

Hah! Believe you me, I slapped that distributor on his engine knowing full well I would probably never see it again. Lord knows I've been around long enough to see that one coming! Sure, it was a German-made Bosch, but it had been sitting unused in the trunk of my car for ten years, so its loss is not a big deal to me. Hell, the kid even did me a favor by taking it off my hands (that is, until I ever have a situation where I need a spare distributor, and then I will be using some very harsh language, indeed!).

And yes, it most likely is destroyed, or least the points and condenser are. The kid told me it quit running again shortly after he made it home. I knew he didn't believe me when I explained to him about his alternator dumping raw voltage into the system!

At this point, I'm definitely leaning toward just cutting bait and washing my hands of it. But, damn it, it irks me somethin' awful to see a good piece of vintage machinery being ruined for no good reason! And it would sure be nice to be able to pass on at least some of what I've learned over the years about ACVW's to the next generation.

The kid may or may not deserve it, but what about the buggy?
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Same thing as loaning a friend money and never seeing them again.

Yep, been there, done that.

Especially ex-wives and girlfriends. Something about a pretty pair of eyes I just can't bring myself to say no to. You'd think I'd learn my lesson after dumping untold thousands down the drain of the opposite sex!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
You'll never see that kid again.

I’m right here , you know

Loaning friends money is excellent.

“ For twenty bucks, he’s out of your life forever. You’re ahead! “
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

return the 009...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

I wish I had a genuine German 009! I would put it up on a shelf in plain view in my garage with a sign on it that said:

"Most over rate piece of junk to ever come out of Germany"

right next to my 009 copy which has a sign on it

"Most copied piece of German junk to ever come out of China!"
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
"Most over rate piece of junk to ever come out of Germany"

LOL. I'm sure they worked very well on stationary engines like water pumps, saws, etc.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Well, it's been over a year and the little puke probably doesn't even have the car any more. Or maybe the kid is an angel and simply lost your contact info and has been trying to track YOU down. Either way, like others have stated, only let people borrow money, parts, tools, your boat, whatever, if you never expect to get it back. Chock this up to a few VW karma points in your favor and let it go Cool

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

Pandemic has changed a lot of social interactions and priorities. It’s never too late to ask for your stuff back.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

It's better to just freely GIVE.
Then when they send payment, or return the favor, at some point in the future it's a VERY pleasant surprise.
Not really sure what the return % is because I tend to forget about it shortly, but it's high. Probably AS high as loaning.
Give and you shall receive.
"Loan" and you will be disappointed.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lending Parts and not Getting Them Back Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It's better to just freely GIVE.

Give and you shall receive.

Especially if the subject in need has big round eyes, a winning smile and is of the fairer sex!

But then... what you receive... could include Gonaherpysyphlaids... Shocked

Charity has it's price! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: