Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

This van was listed on cl for a few months before the owner and i were able to reach a deal, rusty with no title the van will become a donor for my westy. I am arranging to flyout and buy, since the owner has been very upfront with info i'm hoping for no surprises. With how close the syncro community is im curious if anyone is familiar with this example.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Untitled by mitchell markulis, on Flickr[/img]
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

i should add the van is in the denver area
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

In Florida you can not junk a chassis without a title. How do you really know it’s not “hot”? If it were me I’d do my due diligence to determine who’s the owner. It may not be theirs to sell. Otherwise, a complete van is what you need. I’d did this to my 90 and you’d be surprised how many parts you need.
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

its a running driving example. I did my dilligence on the vin, Its currently registered in vermont due to their bill of sale only law and has already been checked by the sheriff dept.

You do bring up a good point about scrapping, luckily i got a plasma cutter and sawzall
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

I spoke with the seller sometime last year. He indeed seems transparent. I'm sure you're aware this is a Minnesota van with rust. Like enough rust where the sliding door fell off. I would request photos of the front suspension and subframe you need for a syncro conversion. Rust from road salt can make your life hell, something to consider.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

I don't know this van.. but someone in the "area" might.. is this close to Fort Collins? Shops and the community in the vicinity might be able to shed some light.
Looks like a fun project!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

Did you attempt to contact the person that appears on the bill of sale? Every vehicle I have ever owned had a title, including my 52 MGTD. This idea that somehow a title attached to a vin could just disappear and now it’s ownership is based on a bill of sale escapes me.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

I couldn’t find the ad today but I’ve seen it before. Didn’t it state he was willing to get the title for $1000. Maybe I’m not recalling that correctly. However if that’s true, I’d negotiate the selling price down $500 and then pay the $1000 for the seller to get the title. No title is no deal in my book.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

Shops in Florida can put a mechanics lien on a vehicle to secure ownership and clear title. It’s handled by an outside company. I don’t recall the cost. $1000 seems high.

Since this van is destined to be crushed probably not worth it. I would really want to be sure there wasn’t some sad owner somewhere wondering where their Syncro was.
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

thanks for all the feedback, before i got into vanagons i messed with 80's bmws. It's crazy to think someone would lose the title to a car but i encountered it many times in my deals. For what the van is being sold for its not worth paying for a bonded title. Given the amount of rust free panels in az, the van is worthless down here as a shell.

i think the ad was taken down sometime last week, but yes i did get extra photos of the important bits. There is rust but its nothing the sandblaster wont be able to take care of.

I plan to start a separate thread to detail this venture once i get it back here.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

FWIW some states will not issue a title for any vehicle older than 15 years old. If the vehicle changes hands after that it can create the issue seen here of a vehicle that does not have a title. That does not mean that the vehicle is not rightfully acquired or rightfully owned by the individual selling it.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Syncro, anyone familiar with this example? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
FWIW some states will not issue a title for any vehicle older than 15 years old. If the vehicle changes hands after that it can create the issue seen here of a vehicle that does not have a title. That does not mean that the vehicle is not rightfully acquired or rightfully owned by the individual selling it.

VT FTW Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: