Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

Just looking for ideas and wanted to see what others might have done.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

Run some math on this before spending money
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Lungs that don't work well are really expensive, between the dust of the Mojave and the fires of the Pacific Northwest I am ready for a filtration system of some ilk.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two tiny ones?

What about the vents in the doors?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

I would build a simple frame for the intake cowl behind the grill.

Take HEPA furnace filters and cut them to fit your opening.

I did basically this when I made a filter for the A/C intake.

I wouldn’t think it would take someone with simple skills But a few hours using off the shelf hardware and steel or aluminum.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Lungs that don't work well are really expensive, between the dust of the Mojave and the fires of the Pacific Northwest I am ready for a filtration system of some ilk.

As a fellow PNW'er who is currently without his modern, filtered daily driver at an inopportune time, I am also interested in this (but dusty western roads also suck w/o one). In the meantime, I've been putting on my N95-ish mask the moment I leave the front door and not taking it off until I get back home. Lungs are still in decent shape compared to previous unmasked forest fire experiences.

It would be also be nice if I could breath any air outside my own home in any setting within a 500 mile radius safely without a viral/smoke rated filtration device but hey that's the world our van was designed in, not the one we currently live in Sad
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

I cannot imagine the leaky vanagon converted into a clean environment by adding filtration to the hvac system. There are so many air leaks on these things that even success with that goal and the huge expense would only filter perhaps 90% of the air coming into these girls. When underway, there are a number of constant air leaks ranging from the door seals, to the overhead vent systems, etc. Then what do you do when stopped and the smoke is seeping through everything slowly?

Far better to wear a proper cartridge type face mask to protect your lungs than to try to protect the entire van interior. Hop out to get gas? 1/4 of the interior air volume just got exchanged unfiltered. Side wind while driving - dirty air coming in.

For sleeping in the van or stopped, I have an interesting suggestion. Costco sells a Winix serious portable air filter that can clean a 360 sq ft room. Our cat has asthma and i have mild asthma so when the smoke map forecasts made it clear we were getting hit, I bought two. Outside it smells like I have a campfire on the lawn, but inside our house it does not at all - indicating these things are working. The index was an awful 360 earlier today but inside we're find and listening to the swish of twin filters. So for $270 vs the vet at 80/night we just broke even and all of us are enjoying the fresh air - not just the cat.

If you can find a way to power this in your van and can dedicate the space - I have no doubt this can keep up with a vanagon interior and keep the airspace VERY clean. Pollen, smoke, dust. I just checked the label and in turbo mode its max draw is 65W. It's blue tooth so you can turn it on from anywhere so the van is clean when you hop in, it has an app so i can literally watch the air quality go up and down and you can set it in auto mode to start when the air gets bad, etc, etc. For $129.99 and a nice inverter you could have this in your van and running in 30 minutes. I did some research on air filters by joining Consumer Reports for this month and this model did well.

This would actually work while driving as well as the vanagon is only a small airspace comparied to a room and each filter can totally dominate a 360 square foot room, which remember has 8 foot ceilings. I"d estimate the Vanagon as being a quarter the size of this filter's rated covered area.

Bonus - made in Thailand (not China) and comes with a 2 year supply of HEPA filters.

Best, Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I cannot imagine the leaky vanagon converted into a clean environment by adding filtration to the hvac system. There are so many air leaks on these things that even success with that goal and the huge expense would only filter perhaps 90% of the air coming into these girls. When underway, there are a number of constant air leaks ranging from the door seals, to the overhead vent systems, etc. Then what do you do when stopped and the smoke is seeping through everything slowly?

Far better to wear a proper cartridge type face mask to protect your lungs than to try to protect the entire van interior. Hop out to get gas? 1/4 of the interior air volume just got exchanged unfiltered. Side wind while driving - dirty air coming in.

For sleeping in the van or stopped, I have an interesting suggestion. Costco sells a Winix serious portable air filter that can clean a 360 sq ft room. Our cat has asthma and i have mild asthma so when the smoke map forecasts made it clear we were getting hit, I bought two last Thursday. Outside it smells like I have a campfire on the lawn, but inside our house it does not at all - indicating these things are working. The index was an awful 360 earlier today but inside we're find and listening to the swish of twin filters. So for $270 vs the vet at 80/night we just broke even and all of us are enjoying the fresh air - not just the cat.

If you can find a way to power this in your van and can dedicate the space - I have no doubt this can keep up with a vanagon interior and keep the airspace VERY clean. Pollen, smoke, dust. I just checked the label and in turbo mode its max draw is 65W. It's blue tooth so you can turn it on from anywhere so the van is clean when you hop in, it has an app so i can literally watch the air quality go up and down and you can set it in auto mode to start when the air gets bad, etc, etc. When I turned them on last Thursday, I could literally watch the air quality go from red, to amber, to blue in a single hour (and these are tested and rated independently like better models are. Some filters are absolute junk - criminally ineffective) For $129.99 and a nice inverter you could have this in your van and running in 30 minutes. I did some research on air filters by joining Consumer Reports for this month and this model did well.

This would actually work while driving as well as the vanagon is only a small airspace comparied to a room and each filter can totally dominate a 360 square foot room, which remember has 8 foot ceilings. I"d estimate the Vanagon as being a tenth the size of this filter's rated covered area.

Bonus - made in Thailand (not China) and comes with a 2 year supply of HEPA filters.

Best, Doug

1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

For sleeping in the van or stopped, I have an interesting suggestion. Costco sells a Winix serious portable air filter that can clean a 360 sq ft room. Our cat has asthma and i have mild asthma so when the smoke map forecasts made it clear we were getting hit, I bought two last Thursday. Outside it smells like I have a campfire on the lawn, but inside our house it does not at all - indicating these things are working. The index was an awful 360 earlier today but inside we're find and listening to the swish of twin filters. So for $270 vs the vet at 80/night we just broke even and all of us are enjoying the fresh air - not just the cat.

If you can find a way to power this in your van and can dedicate the space - I have no doubt this can keep up with a vanagon interior and keep the airspace VERY clean. Pollen, smoke, dust. I just checked the label and in turbo mode its max draw is 65W. It's blue tooth so you can turn it on from anywhere so the van is clean when you hop in, it has an app so i can literally watch the air quality go up and down and you can set it in auto mode to start when the air gets bad, etc, etc. When I turned them on last Thursday, I could literally watch the air quality go from red, to amber, to blue in a single hour (and these are tested and rated independently like better models are. Some filters are absolute junk - criminally ineffective) For $129.99 and a nice inverter you could have this in your van and running in 30 minutes. I did some research on air filters by joining Consumer Reports for this month and this model did well.

This would actually work while driving as well as the vanagon is only a small airspace comparied to a room and each filter can totally dominate a 360 square foot room, which remember has 8 foot ceilings. I"d estimate the Vanagon as being a tenth the size of this filter's rated covered area.

Best, Doug

I'll check this out
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

For sleeping in the van or stopped, I have an interesting suggestion. Costco sells a Winix serious portable air filter that can clean a 360 sq ft room. Our cat has asthma and i have mild asthma so when the smoke map forecasts made it clear we were getting hit, I bought two. Outside it smells like I have a campfire on the lawn, but inside our house it does not at all - indicating these things are working. The index was an awful 360 earlier today but inside we're find and listening to the swish of twin filters. So for $270 vs the vet at 80/night we just broke even and all of us are enjoying the fresh air - not just the cat.

If you can find a way to power this in your van and can dedicate the space - I have no doubt this can keep up with a vanagon interior and keep the airspace VERY clean. Pollen, smoke, dust. I just checked the label and in turbo mode its max draw is 65W. It's blue tooth so you can turn it on from anywhere so the van is clean when you hop in, it has an app so i can literally watch the air quality go up and down and you can set it in auto mode to start when the air gets bad, etc, etc. For $129.99 and a nice inverter you could have this in your van and running in 30 minutes. I did some research on air filters by joining Consumer Reports for this month and this model did well.

This would actually work while driving as well as the vanagon is only a small airspace comparied to a room and each filter can totally dominate a 360 square foot room, which remember has 8 foot ceilings. I"d estimate the Vanagon as being a quarter the size of this filter's rated covered area.

Best, Doug
Well said Doug, you covered all the thoughts and worries I had about anyone attempting this since even with a modern vehicle, which often have double door seals[ seals on door and on body opening], Pollen filters and are far tighter than our Vanagons, once you stop and open a door, you are at the mercy of whatever could waft inside.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

Not even an open door. I replaced the door seal on the slider door, but from the inside I can see light at the back side near the bottom. It's a considerable gap with the door closed! I initially thought this was my poor reconstruction techniques, but I did not touch the area where the seal sits.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

I have cut a kitchen hood carbon filter mat to fit under the plastic grill of the fresh air intake. It definitively filters dust out.
BTW there was a filter option from factory made by VOTEX:
https://t3-infos.de/t3-infos_e.html#innenraumfilter
VW partnr is 251 091 400
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
I have cut a kitchen hood carbon filter mat to fit under the plastic grill of the fresh air intake. It definitively filters dust out.
BTW there was a filter option from factory made by VOTEX:
https://t3-infos.de/t3-infos_e.html#innenraumfilter
VW partnr is 251 091 400
WOW, learn something new all the time about these vehicles.... Shocked Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

HEPA ain't gonna happen, but reducing the amount of dust when the windows are up is possible.

i have ordered this product and intend to just shove it into the intake from the outside

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Filter-Washable-Pack-20x30x1/dp/B07V8LHH7Z/

BiWerks Design, LLC
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

While far from “HEPA” standards I did this years ago by cutting home AC filter material to the size of the little intake grille behind the main grille. Fastened it temporarily to the little intake grille with binder clips to test the concept. Now, changed it several times in the years since and it definitely catches dirt. The temporary binder clips are still there, but I’ve swapped in new ones after the originals rusted. Chose a synthetic material to hold up to rain intrusion instead of a paper type as this is not a dry location.

Certainly the van is far from “sealed”, but this is the only place where air is “powered in” either by vehicle speed or by the heater blower.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I did basically this when I made a filter for the A/C intake.

Dave

It only took me 1 look at Dave's filter to copy that in 3 minutes, and I've been running that since Spring -- MUCH better. Up front has not happened for me yet, but I almost NEVER have the fresh air vent open. That mod can't stop all the air though, so a filter should be something I do there too. I suffered several passes at death as the Mayo Clinic 'fixed me up' from a serious carcinoma, resulting in loss of one lung.

I have the A/C fan blowing to some degree all the time, weather or not the Compressor is engaged.

Problem up front is going to be Moisture. If the filter gets wet, it will either break, or be essentially clogged until it dries out a bit.

-bobby
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I replaced the door seal on the slider door, but from the inside I can see light at the back side near the bottom.

I have the same thing going on with my van, it bugs me but not enough to correct or investigate. Something must be out of alignment because I can also see daylight at the bottom back corner of my slider too.

I did think about taking material from a furnace filter and just taping it over the intake cowl. But as noted plenty of other ways to fill the interior with smoke particles.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

This brings up the "how to thicken up old flattened door seals" debate VS. new seals... I've seen a few ways to fix 'fattened' seals on youtube. The full job of new seals as viewed from other threads and remarks here seems like quite a task and easy to mess up. (AND not inexpensive)

Maybe liquid urethane squirted into the hollow seals, and a stick on strip on the non-hollow places?
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
This brings up the "how to thicken up old flattened door seals" debate VS. new seals...

On my Audi cab I ran a well-lubed length of clear small-diameter flexible plastic tubing up the inside of the hollow part of the door/window seal to plump it back out. It worked well.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully installed a HEPA filter on the cowl intake? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
I ran a well-lubed length of clear small-diameter plastic tubing up the inside of the hollow part of the door/window seal to plump it back out. It worked well.

Like fish tank air line? Or a little bigger? And what about the non-hollow sections?

Thanks

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: