Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intro - 1974 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hi all,
New to the site and new to VW.
I have a problem, a thing fell off and I need help!

Just kidding, but not really.

I recently brought a 1976 FJ40 back to life and love it. It's woefully imperfect, but immensely joyful. A great friend of mine, who owned an FJ55 in Colorado years ago, loves to see and hear about it. He drives an 80's diesel mercedes, had been making biodiesel and he's been hiding a bus in his garage for 20 years, completely buried under years of boxes; completely hidden to the casual passerby.
I've been bugging him to just get it running since I've enjoyed the FJ so much.

"Don't get it right, just get it running!"

Part of my plan to help him get it running is to get it unburied. Everytime I go to the scrap or recycling yard I stop by to see what I can take. On this fateful day, driving my yellow FJ40 with trailer in tow, I stop by and the garage door is up. What is that I see? Why yes, the orange and white creamsicle backside of a bus.

After loading up 50+ gallons of used vegetable oil, used motor oil and two 50 gallon drums, he asks if I'll take one more thing? "Of course!, What?" "A bus", "are you kidding me?! I'll be back in two hours with a truck and trailer."

Now I have what I was told is a 73 bus and 1800 engine on a pallet(the thing that fell off). I think it's a 74 based on the December 1973 build date.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm still not sure what the engine is. I've soaked it for days with motor oil and able to turn it over by hand. I've tried a leak down test, but I don't think I'm doing it right. Only one cylinder shows ok, the other three leak profusely out the intake.
I don't think the intake is correct Smile but it may have worked previously.

The interior is pretty remarkable, in my opinion. The front seat cushions have been nested in, but otherwise all seems ok. I'll take some pictures soon.

The battery tray and rear corner are gone, but it came with patch panels.

I am ignorant and excited, a powerful combination.

Last edited by camino70 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness. Get a Bentley manual, it will help you a lot as you learn the nuances of an ACVW. ‘74 should have carbs so there’s that. Missing intake studs but at this point, we don’t know if the heads are good so just make note of that and move on. Honestly, if it was me, I’d crack it open. There’s a lot of unknowns with a sitting motor in general, more so with one that had been pulled years ago. It got pulled for a reason, time to find out what that reason is. Maybe will get lucky and just need a reseal, might find a hornets nest. It’s already down to the long block, might as well keep going. T4 internals can be a bitch to find in good quality, so preserving what you have that’s OEM might be an option, best way to find out what is good is to crack it open.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

camino70 wrote:

I am ignorant and excited, a powerful combination.
I nearly blew coffee out of my nose! You have the right attitude for this site and this project. These guys are helpful and know their stuff. Welcome! Someone cue the bears....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Welcome
You can’t be ignorant because you just joined a great website with people that
Have a lot of knowledge Very Happy
Have fun with your new Westfalia and asks lots of questions .
Chris
The engine is from a 411/412 previously
Oil filler and vented cyl.head type-4

Last edited by old DKP driver on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Welcome! Im south of Atlanta... rebuilding a 71 Westy.

camino70 wrote:
Hi all,

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Link

Welcome!
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Some additional pictures.

camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

The story is it was pulled from a rotten away bus to replace a seized engine, but it has been sitting an awfully long time. I don't know if it is nativity, impatience or ???, but I kind of want to throw the parts that came with it at it to see if it will run. Though, I know pulling it apart is the right answer....

ImAddicted wrote:
Welcome to the madness. Get a Bentley manual, it will help you a lot as you learn the nuances of an ACVW. ‘74 should have carbs so there’s that. Missing intake studs but at this point, we don’t know if the heads are good so just make note of that and move on. Honestly, if it was me, I’d crack it open. There’s a lot of unknowns with a sitting motor in general, more so with one that had been pulled years ago. It got pulled for a reason, time to find out what that reason is. Maybe will get lucky and just need a reseal, might find a hornets nest. It’s already down to the long block, might as well keep going. T4 internals can be a bitch to find in good quality, so preserving what you have that’s OEM might be an option, best way to find out what is good is to crack it open.

camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Cuccuzze wrote:
Welcome! Im south of Atlanta... rebuilding a 71 Westy.

camino70 wrote:
Hi all,

I wish you were a bit closer and I was a bit less reclusive at the moment. I'd love to offer a hand with hopes of learning something.
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

Is this the Bentley manual?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

The carbon built up in and above the intake port falls down and fouls the valve causing near zero compression, it usually takes about 30 secs of running to clear the valves or a whole lot of cranking since the engine will not want to start on only one cylinder. If you have compressed air available you can try blowing air in through the spark plug hole while the intake valve for that cylinder is open and see if that will work.

I think your engine is a 2.0L for a Porsche, but most parts will be the same as a bus Type 4 engine.
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

The afore mentioned FJ

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice! I've never owned one but FJ's are a world unto themselves. I think there is a place near me that specializes in them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

camino70 wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:

Is this the Bentley manual?

You have a nice selection there. I find the Transporter Haynes is the one I pick up most often as the Bentley mixes engine types in the same paragraph and isn't well indexed. The Haynes is also more do it yourself oriented. I do own the Bentley and the 411/412 Type 4 car Haynes as well.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Bentley manual is the green in position top,right of photo

Robert Bentley is the publisher of said manual. Women prefer a Bentley, Gentlemen Prefer Haynes.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Mike, you maybe correct since it did have air injection and a air pump
Catalytic converter came to the USA in 1975

To the new owner, Very Happy
Look for the engine # on the case please.in your spare time.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

I’d like to meet up sometime. I’m just west of you off of Ga Hwy 20. I can help you with that project. LMK.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Mike, you maybe correct since it did have air injection and a air pump
Catalytic converter came to the USA in 1975

To the new owner, Very Happy
Look for the engine # on the case please.in your spare time.

I've been cleaning bit by bit, looking for information. I thought I found something under the grit in the top side, but it looks like tool marks. Any suggestions on what to look for and where?
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
I’d like to meet up sometime. I’m just west of you off of Ga Hwy 20. I can help you with that project. LMK.

Uhhh, yes please! What beer, food, drink do you like?!
I'm pretty far east in Canton, on the border of Alpharetta. Near the Publix at 980 Birmingham rd.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro - 1974 Westfalia Reply with quote

Camino 70,
VW put the engine numbers below the breather tower
Porsche put them on the case (on top) between cylinders 2&4 which
Will face the fan housing

If it’s a 74/75 bus case it should start with the letters AW or ED and possibly EB

Porsche 914 should be GA Or. GC or possibly GB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: