Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Beetle Convertible Electrical Help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocklinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: 1970 Beetle Convertible Electrical Help Reply with quote

Hi Forum,

I was putting connecting some read speakers behind the rear seat and while putting the backseat back down my seatbelt touch the voltage regulator. Oh DANG!

Thought nothing of it until and took the bug out for a ride. The next morning no charge. I jumped it because I couldn't bump start it in the drive-way. I did measure charge to the battery and was still getting 12-13 v. Turned off car and came back in an hour and the battery was dead again. I swapped battery with a new one because the one I had in there was 10+ years. It started but again the battery died within an hour.

I had an extra voltage regulator, swapped that and still the same problem.

What can it be? Could I have cooked a wire?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle Convertible Electrical Help Reply with quote

Rocklinvw wrote:
Hi Forum,

I was putting connecting some read speakers behind the rear seat and while putting the backseat back down my seatbelt touch the voltage regulator. Oh DANG!

Thought nothing of it until and took the bug out for a ride. The next morning no charge. I jumped it because I couldn't bump start it in the drive-way. I did measure charge to the battery and was still getting 12-13 v. Turned off car and came back in an hour and the battery was dead again. I swapped battery with a new one because the one I had in there was 10+ years. It started but again the battery died within an hour.

I had an extra voltage regulator, swapped that and still the same problem.

What can it be? Could I have cooked a wire?

Electrical gremlins are hard to trace.... Are you getting a "ARC" at battery terminal when you connect battery leads?

How I trouble shoot system is disconnect either 12v or ground cable, and connect test light between battery terminal and cable and if test light is lit (on) the you have parasitic drain.... Work your way around cars electrical system disconnecting "stuff" until light goes out, you have either found the gremlin or on the right track to where gremlin is hiding.... Two places I would start is 12v supply to regulator and maybe B+ lead at alternator (if you have alternator) ...

This tool can be your new best friend...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually less then $10 at most auto parts stores ...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: