Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery.... what Battery
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

I need a battery for this bus. They are the generic of generics.... but what do I need? Part #, vendor, brand, CCA???

Help me out here?
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

Group 34 / 78 cheap off the shelf sealed lead acid (SLA) will do you just fine in the stock position.

If you want a super star battery with more advanced chemistry, then here are two of your best options:

AGM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCTD3Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LiFePO4
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-100Ah-Lithium-Phosph..._td_asin_0
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

Do you have an interstate battery dealer locally
$100.00 here in California the for a vw bus
Group 42
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Do you have an interstate battery dealer locally
$100.00 here in California the for a vw bus
Group 42

we have an Interstate for our bus and it is super. Got it thru Firestone.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

Since you said CCA, assuming you are looking for a starting battery? The WalmartEverstart is made by Deka, the switched from JCI in 2019. I believe you can get Deka at Costco as well. Group 34/78 will fit, minimum 550 CCA. LifePo4 is good (expensive, but has better depth of discharge than a lead acid) for house Or starting battery, though it might not work well long term due to the charging profile. SLA is happy with 13.9v, LifePo4 should get 14.8v. You might need to tweak your regulator to get enough life out of it to offset the cost.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

I have an Interstate shop down the road. I did not even think about them for this old 72. I call them all the time. Every car I have has a Blem Interstate in it. 1/2 price, 1/2 warranty.

I will call them tomorrow.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

note Scott's comment on battery tray size. We are using a Group 48 / H6 in our 1977 but it won't fit a 1972 according to Scott. There are like 2,000 battery threads on this forum.

germansupplyscott wrote:
a group 48 battery is the one we use, it fits perfectly and it has lots more capacity than the original group 42, and a bit more than a 24 or 41. the flooded group 48 has something like 72Ah, the AGM group 48 has almost 80Ah. the 42 is about 60Ah. i think the 48 will only work from '75 on, the battery tray in '74 and earlier has a smaller landing area for the battery. in buses that have the slightly larger landing spot the 48 is a great battery to use, it just fits in the spot, the hold-down works properly, and the capacity is very good.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

Malcolm,
My Bus is a 1972 and I have an interstate group 42 in it and have always had
Group 42 in it.
500 C C A
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Malcolm,
My Bus is a 1972 and I have an interstate group 42 in it and have always had
Group 42 in it.
500 C C A

I think 42 is a commonly recommended size for bays. If that is what is in Chris's bus it would be a really good choice because he has been around them for decades, and would not steer you wrong. Years ago in the 1980's Interstate had some issues but we've been very pleased with the Interstate battery in our bay. In fact it is lasting much longer than some other brands.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

group 42 is more 'correct' than the 78/34
78/34 is just bigger Smile

for cheap anything DEKA or INTERSTATE is usually a good bet
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

Interstate G42 here in my 72. I use a marine battery box. Think this one is about 8 yrs. old.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

I force a Group 41 in to get some extra capacity, this translate to a T6 in the more modern sizing and you can up that to an H6 to pick up a bit more capacity still.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

My local Interstate guys says that the 42 is not one they make anymore. He says the 96R is a replacement for that. Maybe 90 more CCA and the posts are a bit different.

$60 for a Blem. Guess I will go get one of those
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

The Bosch H3 is what I was sold for a 1974 T1 1600 - it is very small, a 41 Amp Hour battery.
But then cranking my 1641 takes all of 66 amps.. 16 amps for the solenoid, 50 amps for the starter.. (I have a nice clamp ammeter)

Much larger batteries also fit well, I also have used 65AH batteries that started to fail on a 2.0L diesel car, but still have plenty of CCA for a tiny low compression engine.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
My local Interstate guys says that the 42 is not one they make anymore. He says the 96R is a replacement for that. Maybe 90 more CCA and the posts are a bit different.

$60 for a Blem. Guess I will go get one of those

They make a T5 which is identical to the 42 IIRC, the T6 has the same foot print as a 42 or T5 but is a 1/2" taller.

A shop put in a blem when my bus needed a battery while my kids had it at college. Maybe three years later the case cracked and I acid all over that corner of the bus, the cheap price of a blem isn't worth the damage it can do.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

There are certainly potential problems with any battery. You need to check it, maybe monthly. They make acid mats it put under them. Boxes to put them in. I have painted everywhere with POR-15. I believe that stuff is like ceramic, if you apply it CORRECTLY. I did the inside of a couple gas tanks 1 was 20 years ago with no problems. But let’s not start that battle today.

What sucked is I don’t have a core. So it was $80. Guess i should have tried amazon or ebay.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery.... what Battery Reply with quote

Yank a core of a Prius , they won’t miss one battery of many
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: