Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadodave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Hi: I bought a ‘76 2.0 FI engine today of unknown condition. It reportedly ran, but not well. Could have been an FI issue, but I don’t want to take a chance on a possibly 44 year old engine. I would like to have the long block rebuilt by a recommended shop in the SoCal area. Any recommendations?

TIa

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi: I bought a ‘76 2.0 FI engine today of unknown condition.

wish it was that simple. It isn't. With a T4 it is also $$$$ compared to $$ with a Type 1 engine. Get a hold of Gary (Aeromech) in San Diego, or Robbie (Airschooled) in No County and see what they think. Good luck.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

I would check what you have out well before springing for a rebuild. You can reseal a 44 year old engine for about $100 in parts and a day of your time and be way ahead of a Joe Blow rebuild. If your engine has normal oil pressure and has good compression it may last a very long time still. Probably not original at this point anyway.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Headflow masters are often recommended on the samba.
I have no experience. so do your due diligence in scoping them out,
2472 S Santa Fe Ave, Vista, CA 92084
https://goo.gl/maps/yjX3qU6Q6EjXQRrDA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Normally when these buses have 40 - 50 years on them they are not fully original unless someone has painstakingly taken the time to restore one properly. In an average rebuild, parts are missing, tin is wrong or damaged, the engine is not original, etc.. There is no such thing as a standard rebuilt. To do it correctly each part must be inspected and replaced or repaired if damaged. Just finding the parts can be a challenge. A part that one could order 2 years ago that fit perfectly, today that same part manufacturer could be making junk, or worse, they are gone. There are also counterfeit parts out there. Not every engine builder's engines have held up well either. I think for a while the shop in Vista was used by lots of folks here then some engines were sent back over issues right out of the crate.

All that said, the weakest parts on a late engine are the cylinder heads. They are known for catastrophic failures. Unfortunately what happens is someone goes to replace them with new ones and finds other things wrong. My suggestion to get with Gary or Robbie to see what they can recommend is the best place to start. Robbie appears on the way to the mid-west to help someone with their bus, so Gary might be the only solution at this time. He is about 15 - 20 minutes from you near Mission Bay. The other issue you will have with a 1976 is passing smog. Make sure YOU have it tested to be sure someone doesn't test another car and hand you what looks like a clean bill of health only to find out in two years you've been had. Without being able to pass smog, you can't license it in California if it is 1976 or later. It must pass smog. We've had a few people here who bought buses in California, were handed a smog cert by the seller, and then 2 years later they discovered that the smog shop is gone, and the seller is too - that the bus needs $3000+ to make it smog legal, and that takes three to six months of work searching for parts - not to mention finding someone who can help them. Guys like Gary or Robbie can HELP YOU but they can't really do all the work. You will have to be involved to some degree. I don't know of one BAR approved shop in So Cal that can do all the work on an engine as well as the smog work. Maybe BusLabs in NorCal or LaVere's might be able to as an approved BAR shop. You bought a 45 - 50 year old car. The shops that serviced them 40 years ago moved on to other cars, or the owner's retired. On top of it, shop rates are close to $150 an hour these days. I am currently rebuilding my 1977 engine. So far I have 40 days working on it a couple hours a day - maybe 120 - 140 hours total if you include research time to find parts, and deal with defects out of the box. Multiply that by $150 and if I were a shop that would be $15,000 - $20,000 worth of billable time. Maybe $25,000 - $30,000 when I am done.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

there is a guy out of Damascus OR that sells rebuilds, $3.5k outright,
one year warranty. He's on CL/Seattle under VW bus.........
not sure if he ships, at least another $500. if he can or will.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Hi there,
Send me a PM if you want my help. My current project will be done soon.
Later-Gary
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Headflow masters are often recommended on the samba.
I have no experience. so do your due diligence in scoping them out,
2472 S Santa Fe Ave, Vista, CA 92084
https://goo.gl/maps/yjX3qU6Q6EjXQRrDA

I had a very good experience here. Adrian rebuilt a longblock for me 7 years ago and arranged to have it shipped to me here in Canada for a very reasonable price. Since installing it, the bus has ran great and still has never leaked a drop of oil.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

That does not add up. Period.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

Damn Abscate. A can of black and can of silver spray paint is not that much. He can wash everything off with solvent and a pressure washer, and spray paint it in an afternoon. On the other side, yes a T4 can have new rings, new rod bearings, and a valve job by lapping and peening the seats for a couple hundred dollars. They call it the Flipper Special.
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Hi there,
Send me a PM if you want my help.

^^^^^^
....take this offer.

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

If my '76 FI motor ever goes kaput, I'd be tempted to put in the more common type 1 1600 earlier bus motor with one of those fiberglass "tin" kits.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

Not defending any price point, just numbers, & 1 year warranty for what it
may or may not be worth....
And closer to home, fat performance out of Santa Fe Springs CA will build a
2056cc Type IV for $7,500, not $20-30k. No mention of any warranty or core
charge.
Guess that zip code is closer to the original poster, who can tell ?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

I have not spoken with RIMCO-FAT in several years so I have no idea what their current production is like. I do know that there was a period after Ed sold RIMCO where lots of people wrote me and told me of the problems they had. At one time Brothers Machine in Ontario SoCal was the most reliable engine although not a premier build. We had RIMCO do work for us in 2009 and it was acceptable but not premier like they had been at one time. I ended up doing the hand lapping etc to seal the valves properly, and had to take them back to get the 3 angle grind I paid for. Adrian was building a lot of engines for folks here and then they started having failures out of the crate. I don't know if that has been rectified. Sometimes people just get too busy.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Shop to rebuild type 4 longblock Reply with quote

there was a thread a few mo ago where MOFOCO chimed in, and some have been very happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: