Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filling oil into Subaru engine -- Question, Thoughts?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Filling oil into Subaru engine -- Question, Thoughts? Reply with quote

Looking for input or thoughts..... On my van (2 wheel drive), it has a subaru engine in it. When it comes time to top up the oil, one has to pull everything out of back to gain access to oil cap on motor. (first world problems i know But..) I did like when could just pull down plate and fill from outside without opening back.

Has anyone looked into using a syncro gas filler neck system on outside that feeds into the oil tube as a way to fill from outside? Never seen a syncro up close, not sure if it is would be doable? I had asked Marco from small parts when did conversion if they would fabricate something so could use license plate as fill point in convertion, but he didnt think there would be any interest in making up something to go with kit...
If a syncro fill neck could be frankinstined into making work??

Peoples thoughts?

Thank you!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

The Syncro filler necks are rare. You could find aftermarket flush mount fill necks. Check ATL or Fuel Safe. The marine industry also has flush mount fill. I had no idea you couldn’t add oil to a Subaru through the tag door. Seems the cleanest would be to add something to the pan that comes up in that location. I’ve got some other ideas, but let’s see what others come up with.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Any years ago someone posted a detailed remedy. Perhaps a search.
Even better eliminate the need to add oil between changes, my ultimate solution.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

People have fabricated their own oil filler pipes that extend to the license plate door, but I don't know of any that are currently provided "off the shelf" by the usual parts suppliers.

Here's a good post, but it is for a SVX.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9100268
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

If you have to add oil to a Subie in between oil changes, then it's probable you have head gasket replacement in your future. Just done that to our 2005 Outback - no biggie.
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
If you have to add oil to a Subie in between oil changes, then it's probable you have head gasket replacement in your future. Just done that to our 2005 Outback - no biggie.

Engine was redone when conversion was done. Everything new on it. So head gaskets have been done with less than 5000 k on them since put in van.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

I have the opposite problem with my SVX engine and I know mine is a rare story. My 1994 SVX engine (with the original factory rings) uses so little oil that I do not have to add any oil between oil changes. Knowing that fact has engaged my procrastination habit so firmly that I just can't get around to installing an accessible dip stick nor an accessible oil filler tube.

I think that it might be possible to do a "duplex" dipstick solution where you use a larger pipe, (like 1/2" ID), for the dipstick, and add oil through the dipstick pipe, using the factory Subaru oil filler only when doing oil changes.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

I had my fab shop make up a filler tube for my Syncro. I was talking to Burley about this and he said he used to make them, but they only work with a Syncro because of the drop need to get the oil in.
With a 2WD you would need to drop it into the valve cover do get enough drop.
If you look in my Gallery I believe I have a picture of filler there. I agree having to open the deck and lid to fill the oil in No Bueno.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Northwesty has a new cast oilpan that has the oil filler cap behind the Vanagon license plate.
It's 6 quarts, and I'm pretty sure you need to use NortWesty engine mounts because that's how the oil filler pipe gets to the license plate door.

I don't know where else to see it other than Nort Westy's facebook. https://www.facebook.com/northwestyvw/posts/10156709828217693

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's pics lifted from Facebook.
Look at all the fins on the bottom.
Lots of oil cooling, which I think EJ25s need runing at 3700 RPM pushing a brick.
And looks strong too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Hey Tom, That looks like a small car engine mount. Nice looking pan though. I wonder if there are baffles in there? I got rid of my small car pan due to no baffles. Now I have Burleys, but the capacity is too small. 5 qts is more than the pan holds.

Paul
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Why don't you buy a kit? What am I missing?

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...u-engines/
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

You could find a tube that would fit into the oil dipstick tube and attach a funnel to it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Why don't you buy a kit? What am I missing?

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...u-engines/

That is the dipstick add on, to be able to check behind the license plate. ( Have one of those all ready) Looking for options to put oil into without lifting the hatch...
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
You could find a tube that would fit into the oil dipstick tube and attach a funnel to it.

Exactly... Though the license plate for sick tube... Shouldn't take that much oil for a top of... Though might give erroneous readings until new oil settles down the tube.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Here's some pics that NorthWesty texted to me.
(EDIT ----- oops NorthWesty said they had to make some changes and didn't want older prototypes showing up so I deleted the pics)
They said the filler neck in the pic is a 'prototype' and the production oil filler unit will be a little different.
Franklins the engine mount is a NorthWesty EJ25 mount that allows the big oil filler tube to get up to the license plate door.

I haven't seen it in person yet, but i'm kinda thinking i should visit North Westy ASAP and LOOK before I stuff my 'new' EH25 in. Shocked

But then again, I'm gonna be solving my oil problems with this new motor, right? And I'm restoring the PCV dip-tube to below oil level.

vanis13 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Exactly... Though the license plate for stick tube... Shouldn't take that much oil for a top of... Though might give erroneous readings until new oil settles down the tube.

Hey that's a great idea.

Find a squeeze-bottle and hose contraption that can push 1/2 quart thru the dipstick tube.

So you check the oil level, and "know" how much oil it needs.
Lets say it needs 1/2 quart.
You squirt "1/2 quart" out of your squeeze bottle into the dipstick tube and you're done.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Find a squeeze-bottle and hose contraption that can push 1/2 quart thru the dipstick tube.

So you check the oil level, and "know" how much oil it needs.
Lets say it needs 3/4 quart.
You squirt "3/4 quart" out of your squeeze bottle into the dipstick tube and you're done.

Yep. That's even better.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Does anyone have this oil spout cap?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks easily adaptable to squirt oil in via the Smallcar dipstick tube.
Using an oil bottle that has a clear stripe you add the volume that the dipstick requested, close the license plate and DRIVE!
I’ve been opening the hatch, lift bedding, yada yada yada since 1999.
I feel dumb. And 11 years real dumb since installing the Smallcar license plate dipstick tube.

You know, dumb like InSyncro & TK would made our new members feel (in the old days). And of course Dylan did it like this years ago once. It never occurred to him to share the method cuz his engines (and customer engines) don’t drink a drop of oil.

I have a little pointy nozzle that comes on some quart gear oil bottles. But that cap is suitable for a shelf in my garage, not for laying down in my van.

Hopkins 10106B/6 FloTool Spill Saver Trans Fluid and Gear Oil On-Off Filler Refill
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EH4UXM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_btf_awdb_SGLzFbYHHZVCT

Anyway if there’s a better “engine oil bottle spout” that anyone knows of, please post!

Of course this info is for others, not me, ‘cuz I’m gonna solve my EJ25 oil consumption problem with a “new” longblock, better intake air filtration, and restoring Subaru’s “calm air oil separator dip tube. Wink

leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

The filling of /topping up of oil through the dipstick tube is an interesting thought for sure. There are a couple drawbacks of doing that method ( in my opinion) Very Happy One), you then have an oil covered tube that one has to contend with so it doesnt get contaminated with dirt etc as you are putting oil in tube.
Two), you have an oil tube that you have to lay somewhere well putting oil in tube, oil getting on bumper etc... Three), putting oil into a squeeze tube, Have to pour oil from the standard oil container into another container, spillage,mess always a possiblity.... I like to keep things as simply as possible and would prefer just being able to pour oil from the original bottle into a fill tube.(first world problems i know of having to take lid off to fill)
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Will keep in mind, but will frankinmake up something that allows me to fill without taking lid off... The one picture of using a tube from another vehicle might be way to go. I don't weld so would need to find a place that can make up for me...
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Geez. My engine uses about half a quart of oil in 1000 miles. So when I get to a thousand miles and we're camping, I pop open the engine hatch and pour in half a quart of oil.

No muss, no fuss. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling oil into westfalia with subaru engine Question,Thoughts? Reply with quote

Yes there's all that business of oiling up your dip tube, and contaminating it.
Nothing is that easy.
Also suggesting the dip tube then should be a steady grade downward, no oil traps.

Also I noticed that oil consumption is very little in 3,000 miles, increases rapidly in the 3,000 to 5,000 if that 2,000 includeds lots of 75mph freeway driving. Suggesting that at 3,000 mi, the oil is dead. Is this feasible?

Does this suggest the oil is overheating? Who's watching oil sump temperatures? I probably should.

Or change oil every 3,000 miles?

But my new engine won't use any oil, right?
This is all for you other fellers with the oil drinkers. Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: