Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

«Slip in» cylinders for 1300cc heads
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: «Slip in» cylinders for 1300cc heads Reply with quote

Can you use 83 mm pistons and cylinders like these:

https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-liner-kit...l-european

With stock 1300 SP heads, and barrel shim to account for the longer stroke 64/69)?
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: «Slip in» cylinders for 1300cc heads Reply with quote

It can be done. Keep in mind that the 40hp engine has smaller wrist pins than the 13/15/1600 engine. Can I ask why you are considering this route? Are you rebuilding a 1300?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: «Slip in» cylinders for 1300cc heads Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
It can be done. Keep in mind that the 40hp engine has smaller wrist pins than the 13/15/1600 engine. Can I ask why you are considering this route? Are you rebuilding a 1300?

Considering my options. I have just bought a 63 beetle, with the matching number engine (1200)

With the purchase I got a 1300 SP engine. Thinking of using that as a base, but after taken the heads off tonight i think it may be in rather bad shape.
Lots of play in the valveguides. Lot of endplay on the crank, and seems also lot of play the on the rod/wristpin. I will know more when I split the block.

Whatever I decide to do with the engine will be on tight budget.
Also considering just uprating the original 1200 with 83 mm pistons and cylinder, and maybe dual carbs. It atleast seems in good condtion from the way it drives (lots of power, for a 1200... )

I want performance similar (or a little bit more) to that of a stock 1600DP, but want to keep the looks and parts used kinda period correct.
So while the easiest option is to just stick a stock later 1600 in there, I will not do that Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: «Slip in» cylinders for 1300cc heads Reply with quote

You won't hit 1600 power using the 1385 big bore kit on the 1200, but I bet you will like it. Good low end, flexible in traffic. Just stick with stock carb and distributor, and tune it well. I added a doghouse fan/shroud/cooler to mine later, and it ran cool and strong on LA freeways all day long. Barely noticeable from the outside, so it appeared stock to 99% of onlookers.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: «Slip in» cylinders for 1300cc heads Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:

Considering my options. I have just bought a 63 beetle, with the matching number engine (1200)

With the purchase I got a 1300 SP engine. Thinking of using that as a base, but after taken the heads off tonight i think it may be in rather bad shape.
Lots of play in the valveguides. Lot of endplay on the crank, and seems also lot of play the on the rod/wristpin. I will know more when I split the block.

Whatever I decide to do with the engine will be on tight budget.
Also considering just uprating the original 1200 with 83 mm pistons and cylinder, and maybe dual carbs. It atleast seems in good condtion from the way it drives (lots of power, for a 1200... )

I want performance similar (or a little bit more) to that of a stock 1600DP, but want to keep the looks and parts used kinda period correct.
So while the easiest option is to just stick a stock later 1600 in there, I will not do that Smile

The worn guides and excessive end play are not necessarily deal breakers. If the heads are crack free, you will want to replace the guides and exhaust valves plus a good valve job. Same with the case - if it checks out it can be freshened up if it's not already align bored to the max. I recommend case savers with 8mm head studs. All that is part of a rebuild anyway.

If stock looks are most important, just buy a set of 1600 85.5 mm pistons and cylinders and have the heads opened up or get a good set of 15/1600 SP heads. It'll be easier and cheaper in the long run. When the engine is fully assembled the 1300 heads look the same as 1600 heads. All that is a long winded explanation to say you can most of your 1300 components to build a single port 1600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: