Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling.
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

I haven't seen a specific post or thread about this. So I figured I woild start one . If one exist please delete it and take my cousin out on a date. Lol. The idea here is someone regretted selling their VW for whatever reason. Well time has passed and they want to see if it's around and hasnt been crushed/ left out to rust or pushed off a cliff after Billie Jo and the boys used it as a getaway car in a string of aemed robberies ( im sure it has happened besides Bundy using a vug like he did ). Post a picture of the car and who you sold it to, what city you both were living in and what year. Pretty much as much info on the car and buyer you can. Hopefully someone sees this and passes the thread here along and connects the 2 people. Deals struck, my cousin gets another date, someones crying and the reat are reconnecting with a lost love.

I have always wondered what the guy did with my first bug after he bought her from me. She was a 1963 or 1964 hardtop bug. New license plate number was 5MEG006 OR 5MEG005 . Primered grey. Car was originally Java Green. 2 inch dropped spindles. I had her listed on here and in the recycler classifieds. Lived in San Bernardino at the time. A guy from Fontana called me up. Showed up in a blue S10 his wife and a 6 pack of budlight. Left with what he showed up with minus a few beers and 920 bucks or so and had himself a project. I threw in a bunch of extra stuff along with it. I do t remember his name. This all happened in fall of 2005 i think. Latest was 06. I would consider buying it back depending on what she looks like now and price.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

What she looked like when she was stolen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After she was stolen. Put some wheels on her to get her rollable.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

There is no dedicated thread but there have definitely been specific threads about people looking for their old VWs in the past.

They always have good stories or memories like what you posted so it's interesting
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

I figured try and get it all on one from now on. See if it happens. If not it was worth shot. Would be nice to see someone reunited with their baby.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

Since this is a new thread- it needs a disclaimer. You may not be pleased with what you find. It's not fun discovering your beloved '63 looker ended up with Hyundai seats and an untreated decklid cave-in.

Be warned that sometimes, like Ed Wynn said on the movie Pet Semetary, "Sometimes dead is better."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

Excellent point.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

I didn't really regret selling it at the time, but I did manage to "find" my first Bus again several years after selling it. Driving home from work one day, I noticed a Bus in my rear view mirror. I slowed down to let it pass, and saw that it was my Bus. I chased him for a few blocks till he pulled into a parking lot to chat. It had been through a few different owners, since, and I'd seen it for sale on Craigslist a couple years prior.

I kept in touch with the current owner for a while, but haven't talked to him in a few years.

In its "Heyday" when I owned/lived in it (1998).

When I "found" it again (2013).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

Quite a change.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

i bought this 1965 21 window bus from a guy up in Lebanon, NJ in 1989 when i was 20 years old for $650 bucks. Hung onto it during my broke ass years 1989-2001. Once i got a real job it was made into a running vehicle prone to break down. Sold it in 2006 or so to Doug on here from Riverside CA. He in turn flipped it overseas. Saw it for sale at a European dealer on here a year or so after Doug bought it from me and i havent seen it since. Anyone know its whereabouts?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

"overseas" is kind of ambiguous
was a nice bus, even in 89-2001 timeline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

I sold both of these Bugs on the same day In Central Calif. at a swap meet to two different people. The Oval I really wouldn't want to own again but the 60 Rag Top is my "The one that got away".

David Grason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
The Oval I really wouldn't want to own again but the 60 Rag Top is my "The one that got away".

What was wrong with the oval that causes you to say that you wouldn't want it again?

Do each day a little more than expected and soon you'll be expected to do more.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

Hi David, it was a very nice bug but it became a "Trailer Queen". It was really my fault because I had put so much work and money into it that I was not comfortable using it as it should have been used. I would only take it to 2 shows each year and it then would sit under a cover in the shop until the next show. That photo is of when I actually was bringing it to the new owners place, the rag top was used as a daily by me and then my wife she was pissed when I sold them. Confused
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Former owners looking to find the car they regretted selling. Reply with quote

I would like to find this original paint, 21 window that I sold years ago for $15k. I'd like to buy it back for that and then put it up for sale now, please.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: